Thread: clutch line

clutch line

am having trouble finding the correct fitting to run clutch line it appears that the fitting at the master cylinderuses a 3/16 fitting but i cant find a 3/16 to -4 AN at the t/o bearing what size line and fittings are you guys using?

scott, im using a #3 braided steel line with areoquip steel AN #3 fittings and adapters. reroute the line over the footbox to the tunnel as opposed to the routing of the stock line on the side of the footbox (unless its been changed), so you dont have overheated fluid issues. later, brian.

Scott,
    I'm not sure of your set-up, but I ran the 3/8"s from the m/c to the cluth slave - bent and fitted two pieces and used a coupler. No AN fittings involved.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Clutches need volume. Use a 1/4 (dash 4) or larger size. 3/8's is plenty but certainly not overkill. Any NAPA should be able to hook you up. If not, there is the 'bible' of fittings, the Aeroquip or Earls catalog.
    Rick

Scott,

If you remove the steel fitting from the master cylinder you will notice it is a 37 degree tapered fitting that seats against the master cylinder. This is an AN fitting. If you get a #3 AN coupler it will thread in and seat tightly and then you can install your flex line to that. The fitting I used had too large a shoulder on it and the shoulder hit the master cylinder body before the seat sealed. I turned the shoulder off in a lathe and then installed it. You do not need the shoulder to tighten the fitting as your line will turn in the same direction and tighten it as you install the line.

Have fun!

Brent
    Candy Apple Red/White
    402 FE/Toploader/3.54

i talked to wilwood they reccomend 3/16 brake line, i found the proper fitting at a local bearing co. will route hard line over foot box and down the side. thanks for the input

change of plans, mcleod, the t/o bearing manufacturer suggests flexible lines of sufficient diameter have ordered part and adapters from them