Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 427 deluxe pallet info....

427 deluxe pallet info....

Hello everyone. My name is Glenn and I've just sold my FFR and I'm looking into the Unique deluxe pallet for my next project. I'm looking for feedback on the Unique kits and how everyone likes them now and after a few years. I'm planning to use a 63 406 FE with a tripower induction setup. Stock lowriser heads and 3x2 intake. Any fitment issues underhood here? Also this is one of those early two bolt motor mount blocks like the early centeroilers. Can the engine mounts be modifed or do they need to be? What wheels can be used on the car? I don't think I'll be using pin drives an looking for best size rim,tire and backspace for the std 5 lug setup. I was going to build another FFR but after looking pricewise at the Unique I really like what I see. How nice are the bodies unfinished? The FFR's as most know are kind of rough and I've heard and read good things about the Unique over at CC. Oh one last thing (for now) can you pickup your kit at the factory? If so how is the kit moved around? I see no wheels are included and wondering if dummy wheels are used to roll it around or do you bring your own wheels if desired? Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions. Sorry if some of the questions sound silly. Happy Holidays, G.

Hello Glenn! I'm a fairly new Unique customer and can answer a few of your questions. I also purchaced the Deluxe Pallet Kit and was extremly happy. Ive looked at 2 others before I decided on mine both a Shell Valley and a FFR and even though they seemed to be nice the body of the Unique was much better looking right out of the mold and I liked the way the seam locations were located better also. There are no wheels included but you can have Unique purchase them for you or bring your own or purchace some cheap wheels and tires from the junkyard if you want to wait. I'm in Georgia and if your close I will give you my junker wheels and tires if you want them. I picked up my kit on labor day, so yes you can pick it up yourself just bring a trailer and some tiedowns. (axel straps and ratchet strap tiedowns work the best so you dont take a chance on scratching your chasis. The Weavers are great people and will help you any way the can and of course the guys in this forum are a great resourse also.

Unique 4279459

Thanks for reply and wheel offer. I'm in CT and it will be a few months before I order. I might just take you up on them of you still have them. I have friends in the Peachtree area and my wife and family are looking at relocating down there. Are you close to there? I'm glad to hear you can pickup the kit yourself. I did this with my FFR. I've always admired the Unique cobras and really like the package offered. The FFR was nice but I'm looking for something different this time around and think I've found it. The price is very good for what is included. Do you know if the Smiths gauges are still offered? I called Finishline who supplied me with my last set but they no longer carry them. They sold out to Nissonger but I've heard some of the gauges are VDO with a Smiths sticker over the face from them. Sounds kind of odd and a few guys returned them and were not happy with the quality. They can be troublesome at times but a nice gauge overall. I've never had the SW gauges myself. BTW which engine will you be using? G.

Glenn I'm using the Stewart Warner gauges that came standard with the kit. The Weavers will be able to answer if they offer the Smiths. I live up in Dawsonville but if you come by on the weekend I would meet you somewhere closer so its not out of your way. I'm one of the black sheep of the family lol I'm using a 385 series motor (460 with 429 CJ heads).

Unique 4279459

Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Glenn,

There really is no comparison between the two vehicles. That is not to say that the FFR is bad. I have seen a buch of cars including FFR, CMC, Contemporary, ERA, Shell Valley, Exotic, Everette-Morrison, SPF, and others that are gone. I drove several of them, as well, but I put a deposit on a Unique 289FIA! The Unique body concept is very different than the FFR in that the FFR is pretty much just a shell, whereas the Unique has the floor and subframe built-in. I think this is stronger as a construction technique. Right out of the mold there is no comparison... in this case I would say the Unique is clearly better. I think that the FFR is a chopper gun body, but I am not 100% sure of it. Unique's bodies are hand laid, and I have watched the guys on a number of occasions doing just that. You will like the difference. The doors have their own subframe, and they bolt and latch to the frame, not to fiberglass. Just feel the difference in the door structure, it is stout. In terms of suspension, I think the Unique wins again. They have the IRS, and custom A-arm setup in the front. They can handle any FE setup you have. They know the exact wheels to fit the car.

Lots of folks pick up their cars at the factory. I would not buy from a company that would not let me go see it before I took delivery. As such, I would strongly suggest that you take the time to go see the factory and meet the Weavers. They are a great bunch. I try to stop in there whenever I can, and have been stopping in for almost five years. In fact, I will probabbly see them sometime in the next month (fair warning Alan! ). They will answer all of your questions and never press you to buy their product. They don't have to, as it sells itself once you see it. Knowing that they are the ones behind the product is probably the best reason to buy Unique. Just search around this site, and you will learn about what good customer service is. I am sure that the others here will agree, you came to the right place when you decided on Unique!

Welcome to the group!

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

glenn, left you a pm. brian

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice. I plan on a visit as well to see for myself. I'm not very familer with the fiberglass process but I'm pretty sure the FFR's are hand laid as well. But yes just a shell with the riveted aluminum panels as the cockpit and trunk construction and the body,doors and trunk attached to the frame. Mine was an older MK1 and and panel lineup was really bad and 1/4 off in some spots where the seams join the panels together and makes for some creative body work LOL. The newer FFR bodies are better but still not the best. From the pics I've seen the Unique front suspension is Mustang II correct? I really like the Jaguar rear IRS also. Overall a very impressive kit.
    Krazecj those 385 series are awesome engines. What intake are you using and what kind of underhood clearance is left?
    I have the FFR priced at 15K with the 3 link and big block upgrade and some small options. With everything else I need to get to the Unique deluxe pallet stage (which does not include the FFR IRS) the price is very close. I'm really leaning towards the Unique as it overall seems a much better kit and just about everything is included except for wheels and tires and drivetrain. FFR has become a large player and with it a steady backorder of parts. Some sloppy frame welding and rushed construction have a few builders in fits as well. I'm not sure I can deal with all this again. Unique seems to me a nice quality kit and very good value for what you get. Thanks again guys for all the help. G.

Glenn,

I don't think it is Mustang II suspension up front... I believe it is based on custom A-arms. The spindle might be a Ford part, though. Poorboy or Alan will set it straight. The fit and finish of this kit is outstanding overall. My brother had gone through that mess with an old CMC Speedster kit, and when I took him down to see the Unique stuff he looked it over closely, then came away very impressed. As I recall, on the MKII FFR the door stiker is mounted to the body rather than the frame, and the door latch is mounted to the fiberglass door itself. But, it has been a while since I last saw one. The Unique has two box-iron bars that run the length of the door, and the latch is mounted to it. As I said before, stout!

Also, something else to consider is the resale value. It seems that the Uniques tend to hold their price a little better than many of the other brands... right up there with the ERA and the Contemporary.

When will you be going down to the factory?

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

You can have your tires and wheels dropped shipped to Unique if you like (saves having to deal with the junk tires and rims). I have PSE wheels with 295/50/15 (r) and 245/60/15 (f). I'm using Autometer gauges and am very pleased with their appearance and performance. The painter that did my car specializes in FFRs (probably has two dozen in his shop at anyone time), and he was drooloing over my Unique when I delevered it to him (on a buck with casters). You will love the fit and finish.

Welcome to the forum/family.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
    Southern Automotive FE
    3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brian thank you and pm returned.
    Slither thanks for the suspension info. The Unique suspension looks pretty slick. What kind of rack is used and do you know the ratio? My MK1 had the striker mounted to the frame and rest as you described. They also have a ladder style frame inside the door as well. Not sure if they had changed it for the MK 2&3 though but this is one area that is a problem with the old and new kits. You need to re position the striker on the frame so it lines up with the door latch. It's about an half inch off! Since FFR has offered the new 4.6 mod motor upgrade the passenger side footbox is tiny and half the size of my old MK1. You can barely put your feet side by side. Resale is also a factor and I can see the Unique will stand up very well from the prices of used ones I've seen. I've sent an email to Unique to setup a day and time to visit. I'll keep you posted. Thanks guys, Glenn.

Phil, nice car!!!! and thank you for the pics and the welcome. I really like what I'm hearing and seeing here. I can see this forum is a great source of knowledge and information. I was looking for a Unique forum at CC and saw a thread linked to this site. G.

Glenn,

They use an MG rack, but I do not know the ratio. I am sure that Alan can fill you in on it. I have not seen the early FFR, but I would be surprized to find any steel in the new door. However, like I said, it has been a while since I saw it up close. I have an acquaintance that has one. I'll pay more attention the next time I see it. You will not have to move stuff on this kit! It is setup correctly from the factory. Yes, the 4.6 is very wide. Keep us posted...

Paul

289 FIA

408 Windsor

Toploader (wide)

3.07 rear

Paul thanks for the info on the rack. I'm pretty sure FFR still uses the steel bars in their doors. My old MK1 had them plus a nice inward curve on the door skin to fill as well. And with all the frame and footbox tubing the footboxes are really small. Most guys have to bend their pedals to get a good geometry. I'm also looking for a more authentic car this time. The FFR headers and sidepipes are made by hooker and not very well done. You would be surprised how many crooked sidepipes and ill fitting headers are out there. For the money involved there are just too many issues. I was fairly luckey with my FFR as far as bloops and blunders go but almost all of the aluminum had to be tweaked or cut and re fitted to work. But this was back in 2000 when they were a much smaller company. Things were a little tighter back then. Now there are more issues that are just left for the owner to deal with. Anyhow enough of that and these are some of the reasons I'm looking at the Unique. Nice body, frame and components not to mention a very reasonable price. Seems like a kit that goes together like it's supposed to and that's really what I'm looking for. Brian has invited me to see his car which I'm looking forward to. I'll be reading up and asking some qusetions as I go along.

Glenn.

Glenn.
    You will not go wrong with the Unique.
    I've had my 427 for nearly 14 years now and it's as solid as a rock.
    Go visit the factory....you will be impressed...I kid you not.
    Mike

Mike Geddes

Glenn,

Welcome. To add to all the other good advice and feedback you received above, another thing that differentiates Unique and the Weavers is the superior customer service you receive. I'm sure you're following the disaster going on at Shelby and some of the dissatisfaction expressed by some well-known Kirkham customers.

I had an exchange with several of the more well-known "characters" in the Cobra Forum world, and they have shared with me they have NEVER heard anyone criticize Unique for poor customer support. That speaks volumes, and is a very important aspect with cars such as Cobra replicas.

The Weavers don't advertise, they don't pat themselves on the back, they don't play games to try to make themselves look good. They just quietly build quality cars and allow their customers to speak for themselves.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

Glenn,
    I have had mine on the road since August of '93. I am just as happy with it today as I was then.
    GREAT product and THE BEST customer service, what more could you ask for.

Keith

When you call down to Unique, ask them if they have Bruce Botti's phone number. Bruce lives in CT and builds (or used to build?) Uniques. I think he's got 3 or 4 under his belt ... one of which is mine. He's be a great source of local information and advise.

Wow....I'd really like to thank everyone for all the help and I'm really looking forward to getting down to Unique as soon as possible. I'm also glad to hear customer support is very good and this forum is a great source of info. I've been reading about build tips ans some repair info as well. The quality really seems to be there and the only problems I've seen so far have been some body rattles and minor mechanical things. All normal as I see them. I'd also like to thank the members with the older cars who chimed in also. This really gives me a good impression of the long term ownership I've been looking for. This car will be a keeper for the next many years and I have a unique color blue paint for it already. A hint is McClusky. :-) G.

patrija, I'll ask for Bruces number and thanks for the tip. G.

Glenn,

Welcome to the forum!

The Weaver's put up with me[:O] so they can put up with anyone[:P]

I had them walking around wringing thier hands and muttering to themselves, "Oh my God, he want's to paint it Orange"

Unless you are set on doing your own body and paint work, I'd recommend Bruce Bunn out of Atlanta. Did mine and does great work at a very good price.

Kelly