Quote Originally Posted by Aggressor View Post
Get Bill Parham to build a Super FE for your project.

www.southernautomotiveengines.com

Gut wrenching power and reasonable price.

As far as 100 mile trips it's easy in a car like this. A few Unique owners (including myself once) have driven their cars thousands of miles roundtrip to attend Cobrafest. The major problem is not the engine but the foam in the seats. Many Unique customers add a bit of higher density foam for extended travel. Search this site for seat foam modifications.

Bottom line is that you want a vehicle that you can use. You can get away with a more radical engine on the street if it's only dragging a 2500 pound vehicle. The only qualifier is that at the end of the day it has to be streetable. For consideration a bone-stock 428 will throw you back hard in the seat, light the tires at will, and makes a great cruiser. 600+ ft/lbs of torque is great bragging rights but once your tires have lost traction you don't travel any faster.

You’re only limited by the depth of your pockets. Talk to Bill or another good machinist and describe what you want to get for the dollars available. That’s what I did in 2000 and now have an extreme FE that will also idle at 950 RPM in 4th gear pulling smoothly at 18 MPH with foot off the throttle. I did this in a ½ mile loop through my neighborhood last week.

-Geary

Just wondering what kind of cam you have? You mentioned you can cruise at 65 in 4th at 2000 rpm, and idle in 4th at 950 rpm. It seems your cam would be very important in your setup. Do you not have problems with bogging down at 950 rpm in an engine that will do 700 to 800 hp? I am just learning so if I ask my questions poorly please forgive me.