Thread: Engine & Cooling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dart 427W link and writeup

I just found this site that might be useful to someone considering a DART block

Here's a highlighted paragraph:
    The Dart block replicates the original Ford 351W in terms of basic design and layout, but with several enhancements. Cylinder walls and decks are beefier, allowing much more custom machining latitude. The block also features priority main oiling system. The block material itself is much more rigid (high nickel alloy content iron block) and much more suited to high performance and/or racing applications. The main caps are machined billet steel, anchored with four bolts each (with splayed outboard center caps). The block also requires the use of a crankshaft that features Cleveland-sized (2.749”) main journals for added robustness. In short, Dart re-engineered the 351W block to meet today’s performance requirements. Basically, the Dart block makes the original Ford W block look like the skinny kid on the beach. Dart’s block is a brute, which basically blends the best from both the Windsor and Cleveland designs, along with Dart’s own performance enhancements.

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/p...t-427w-part-1/
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Talking

I like your valve covers. I looked them up but couldn't find them in "tall" only stock height. Did they fit over your roller rocker arms or did you have to use a spacer? You have the same engine set-up as me so if they fit yours...
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine

Quote Originally Posted by sllib View Post
    I like your valve covers. I looked them up but couldn't find them in "tall" only stock height. Did they fit over your roller rocker arms or did you have to use a spacer? You have the same engine set-up as me so if they fit yours...
    Height is no problem..... look at the end view. From my research, they only come in tall! No spacer needed. They also have the oil "splash guard" baffle... it was very hard to find a SBF valve cover with 427 on it... I guess because there aren't many SBF 427s? In any case, Ford Racing just came out with these covers because they now offer a SBF 427 base on a beefed up BOSS block. One of the key features I like (other than the 427) is the top of the cover has two surfaces with one going “horizontal” and the other parallel to the heads. I attached an end shot picture...
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mkassab; June 30th, 2010 at 06:19 AM.
    427 S/C, Flame Yellow, B2 Motorsports 427ci Stroker Dart SBF, TKO600, 3.73 Posi, Avon tires and so much more.

Bill ... I should have included the link to where I got the valve covers. When I ordered them, this was the only site I found that could get them. I'd think you could find elsewhere by now?

Mark

http://sitesearch.cjponyparts.com/se...27+valve+cover

I found them on the Ford Racing site, Summit, and Jegs. The last two were cheaper but didn't include the bits and pieces to make them work; Ford did. I'm using unsigned Edelbrock Elites now and the more I look at them the more I don't like them. I also went with a stud kit and T-bar hold-downs. Besides giving the engine a cool vintage hotrod look that makes it a snap to get the valve covers off to adjust the valves.
    Bill
    Bill Stradtner, Portsmouth, VA
    427 S/C #9442
    427W Dart "Replica" Ford Engine