Thread: What type of transmission did you choose and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mississippi Gulf Coast and Central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Naumoff View Post
    I have a 482 stroker with a close ratio toploader and a 3:31 posi lock.

I feel the car is much more predictable with the posi lock.

Tony,

What brand posi lock unit do you have, and why did you choose it?

Thanks!
    Paul

289 USRRC
    1964 289 5-bolt block
    Toploader and 3.31 rear

Quote Originally Posted by Slither View Post
    Tony,

What brand posi lock unit do you have, and why did you choose it?

Thanks!
    What ever Butch Capps puts in his Jag rears.

I will try to find an article I read on the different rears, it was very good.
    Just have to remember where I saved it.
    Last edited by Naumoff; June 1st, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Tony
    Unique 427 #4279480 Precision Engine Machine Company 427 s/o 483.47 stroker close ratio toploader 3.31 jag rear

And within the "locking units" category, you have three types.

Lowest end of the scale and easiest to install is the "lunchbox locker." This is a basic unit that uses the factory carrier, but replaces the spider gears & cross shafts. Very popular in front differential applications in 4wd.

Next is the full locker, which completely replaces the factory gear carrier. Stronger than the lunchbox style, it also (generally speaking) has manners that take more getting used to. Some of the clunking, clicking, etc. that Patrick mentions.

Last is the manually-selectable locker. These are operated either by onboard compressed air (ARB locker) or a cable linkage (OX locker). When unlocked, you have a completely open differential. Throw the switch or move the lever, and you essentially have a solid spool. Another, fairly new, variation on this is the selectable locker offered in some Jeeps, like the Rubicon. It is electrically actuated, acting like a limited slip when disengaged, and becoming a solid spool when engaged.

The Power-Lock is noted amongst Jeepers as being about the best limited-slip ever offered from the factory.
    Zach Butterworth
    289 FIA #9367

Thanks for the help guys!

I just wanted to let you guys know that you have all been so helpful with this thread. I made my decisions awhile back and I now am the proud owner of a deluxe pallet kit with a 3:54 posi in which I will be attaching my 427 Ponds SO to a Tremec TKO600 5 speed. Not very traditional I know, (I'm sure Alan could attest to my lack of convention), but definitely will fit to my driving situation. You guys have been really helpful and I am thoroughly impressed to see this thread still being viewed and discussed. I also wanted to thank Alan for helping me through those tough decisions. I am finishing up my body buck right now and anxious to move on to the next step. I know my children will be disappointed to see the body come off, because they love getting in and "driving". Thanks for all of the input.
    Vapor Cone, I've been told, occurs just as you break the sound barrier!