PDA

View Full Version : Now that we are all here...

jhaynie
January 23rd, 2003, 01:24 AM
A question about turn signals. I was talking with Keith McFarland a month or so ago and we both agreed that it was not cool [:o)]looking riding around when you forgot to turn off your turn signal. Does anyone's Unique have a self-canceling turn signal or do they all require you to manually shut it off?

John Haynie

Joe LaFives
January 27th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Mines certainly manual and it can be a pain.

Joe LaFives
January 27th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Mines certainly manual and it can be a pain.

pbrown
January 28th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I've heard of the FFR guys using a modified VW bug lever for this. I wonder if the Unique could be modified in a similar way.

--Patrick

pbrown
January 28th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I've heard of the FFR guys using a modified VW bug lever for this. I wonder if the Unique could be modified in a similar way.

--Patrick

weaver
January 28th, 2003, 03:33 AM
We have not found a self canceling turn signal switch that will work with the column and housing we use, if you come up with something that works let us know. Doesn't FFR use the column out of a Mustang, if so it should be self canceling.

P.S. Patrick, when do plan on visiting the mother ship, Alan

weaver
January 28th, 2003, 03:33 AM
We have not found a self canceling turn signal switch that will work with the column and housing we use, if you come up with something that works let us know. Doesn't FFR use the column out of a Mustang, if so it should be self canceling.

P.S. Patrick, when do plan on visiting the mother ship, Alan

pbrown
January 28th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Alan,

Soon, I hope. I've been putting $1000 per month in my Unique fund. I'm still a bit short.

--Patrick

pbrown
January 28th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Alan,

Soon, I hope. I've been putting $1000 per month in my Unique fund. I'm still a bit short.

--Patrick

Silk
January 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago for failing to signal a lane change. Told the officer that with non-cancelling turn signals, that happens sometimes. After discussing the car, popping the hood, etc, he just gave me a warning. But told me not to expect similar treatment if I did the same thing in my daily driver! :D

BTW, the ERA FIA has self-cancelling turn signals. Different steering column unit?

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Silk
January 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM
I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago for failing to signal a lane change. Told the officer that with non-cancelling turn signals, that happens sometimes. After discussing the car, popping the hood, etc, he just gave me a warning. But told me not to expect similar treatment if I did the same thing in my daily driver! :D

BTW, the ERA FIA has self-cancelling turn signals. Different steering column unit?

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

weaver
January 29th, 2003, 06:41 AM
I think they use a Triumph steering column and switch, we have our column made to original specs.

Alan weaver

weaver
January 29th, 2003, 06:41 AM
I think they use a Triumph steering column and switch, we have our column made to original specs.

Alan weaver

excelguru
January 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Yea, I've been caught red-faced more times than I can count because of that blinker. Like Gary, I tend to just "look and go" when changing lanes. Haven't been pulled for it, though. Perhaps a chime could be installed in series with the blinker indicator to give an audible indication... wait a minute... never mind. Forgot about the open pipes. That would have to be one HELL of a chime! LOL!

Keith "left blinker" McFarland

excelguru
January 30th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Yea, I've been caught red-faced more times than I can count because of that blinker. Like Gary, I tend to just "look and go" when changing lanes. Haven't been pulled for it, though. Perhaps a chime could be installed in series with the blinker indicator to give an audible indication... wait a minute... never mind. Forgot about the open pipes. That would have to be one HELL of a chime! LOL!

Keith "left blinker" McFarland

patrija
January 31st, 2003, 02:19 AM
My wife gives me a lot of sh*t about the same "problem". I tell her its to increase visibility since it's a low car and brake lights might be hard to see. :)

Jason

patrija
January 31st, 2003, 02:19 AM
My wife gives me a lot of sh*t about the same "problem". I tell her its to increase visibility since it's a low car and brake lights might be hard to see. :)

Jason

TurnpikeBoy
March 20th, 2003, 02:42 AM
:( Well....I realize this is kinda late to the topic, but. During the build it became apparent that the signals wouldn't cancel - so, I spotted out where the self-cancel stubs mated with the column, yanked it out, drilled a .100 (+/-) deep hole at the spot and pounded in a roll pin cut to length. Couldn't get enough radius on the end of the pin for consistent operation, so I put a small panhead screw into the pin. Voila - works perfect. I'm just anal enough that non-cancellers would push me around the bend. I'll try to post pics of what was done.;)

Yeehah

TurnpikeBoy
March 20th, 2003, 02:42 AM
:( Well....I realize this is kinda late to the topic, but. During the build it became apparent that the signals wouldn't cancel - so, I spotted out where the self-cancel stubs mated with the column, yanked it out, drilled a .100 (+/-) deep hole at the spot and pounded in a roll pin cut to length. Couldn't get enough radius on the end of the pin for consistent operation, so I put a small panhead screw into the pin. Voila - works perfect. I'm just anal enough that non-cancellers would push me around the bend. I'll try to post pics of what was done.;)

Yeehah

GeorgiaSnake
March 20th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Lets see the pictures. I would like to do the same before I install the steering column.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
March 20th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Lets see the pictures. I would like to do the same before I install the steering column.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

chill
March 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Turnpikeboy, please post pictures soon. Not for me, mind you, but Randy is almost around the bend, and doesn't need any help going further around.

...did he say anal? See Randy, there are others....

chill

chill
March 20th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Turnpikeboy, please post pictures soon. Not for me, mind you, but Randy is almost around the bend, and doesn't need any help going further around.

...did he say anal? See Randy, there are others....

chill

TurnpikeBoy
March 31st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Ah, yes, there are many like us.....:D

Anyway, sorry for the long delay on response. In the process of moving, and really have my head up there. No pictures yet...I promise to get 'em out as soon as I can.

Get wheels as straight as you can perceive; also, the pin in the column can be used as a reference, rotationally-wise. The stock pin is just too short to hit the trip levers on the signal assembly. In my case, I wanted the column in a bit closer to the dash - I trimmed about 3/8" off the splined end of the upper column shaft (NOT touching the setscrew groove - VERY IMPORTANT!) and then assembled the whole column for layout. Mount up the signals with covers; make certain the front wheels are as straight as you can; then mark the spot on the shaft that is about midway between the trip levers (rotationally) and in line with them laterally. Pull all out, drill about a 5/32" hole NOT MORE than 1/8" deep where spotted. It is extremely important to: (1) get and measure your roll pin diameter BEFORE YOU DRILL, and (2) do NOT go too deep in drilling. Remember the pin only has to trip the levers, not snap them off the housing - in other words, not a whole lot of effort is involved in cancelling, so don't think you got to pound the pin right thru the shaft to get it to hold. You need a tight fit of the pin in the hole(figure .010" - .020" smaller hole than pin) so measure with a dial caliper or micrometer before you drill. Do your drilling with a drill press or mill to be certain you drill straight.

Hammer the pin into the hole, and put a drop of CA glue (Superglue) around the contact point just to ensure everything. Now - put it all back together and test the action. If the pin is too long, use a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc or grinding wheel to cut down to proper length - and bevel the cut end to make it work smooth. If you cut it too short, like this bonehead, take a small panhead sheetmetal screw and screw it into the end of the rollpin.

Reassemble everything, test it out and you will be blinkerless when you wanna be. I promise pictures to follow in a few days.[:P]

Yeehah

TurnpikeBoy
March 31st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Ah, yes, there are many like us.....:D

Anyway, sorry for the long delay on response. In the process of moving, and really have my head up there. No pictures yet...I promise to get 'em out as soon as I can.

Get wheels as straight as you can perceive; also, the pin in the column can be used as a reference, rotationally-wise. The stock pin is just too short to hit the trip levers on the signal assembly. In my case, I wanted the column in a bit closer to the dash - I trimmed about 3/8" off the splined end of the upper column shaft (NOT touching the setscrew groove - VERY IMPORTANT!) and then assembled the whole column for layout. Mount up the signals with covers; make certain the front wheels are as straight as you can; then mark the spot on the shaft that is about midway between the trip levers (rotationally) and in line with them laterally. Pull all out, drill about a 5/32" hole NOT MORE than 1/8" deep where spotted. It is extremely important to: (1) get and measure your roll pin diameter BEFORE YOU DRILL, and (2) do NOT go too deep in drilling. Remember the pin only has to trip the levers, not snap them off the housing - in other words, not a whole lot of effort is involved in cancelling, so don't think you got to pound the pin right thru the shaft to get it to hold. You need a tight fit of the pin in the hole(figure .010" - .020" smaller hole than pin) so measure with a dial caliper or micrometer before you drill. Do your drilling with a drill press or mill to be certain you drill straight.

Hammer the pin into the hole, and put a drop of CA glue (Superglue) around the contact point just to ensure everything. Now - put it all back together and test the action. If the pin is too long, use a Dremel tool with a cutoff disc or grinding wheel to cut down to proper length - and bevel the cut end to make it work smooth. If you cut it too short, like this bonehead, take a small panhead sheetmetal screw and screw it into the end of the rollpin.

Reassemble everything, test it out and you will be blinkerless when you wanna be. I promise pictures to follow in a few days.[:P]

Yeehah

Poorboy
April 3rd, 2003, 10:40 PM
Not trying to steal anything from Turnpikeboy his idea is the fix for the turn signal canceling. But I have had time to do it and get some pictures. You go from the stearing shaft stop pin back towards the stearing wheel 1/2 inch and drill for the roll pin (I used a 1/4 inch drill, a 1/4 roll pin is actually about .260-265). You can drill any where around the shaft (I did mine 90 degrees from the stop pin)Install the pin and cut it off at 3/8 inch sticking out, bevel the edges. When you install it make sure the new pin is at the 3 o-clock position, which should be in the center of the switch. This is a very simple operation. On a finished car it should not take more than an hour. Just pull the stearing wheel off of the shaft and take the shaft out. It could be done in the car with just the wheel off and the shaft pulled back. I have pictures I will post if ya'll want.
If someone will explane how to do it!![:I]
Poorboy

Poorboy
April 3rd, 2003, 10:40 PM
Not trying to steal anything from Turnpikeboy his idea is the fix for the turn signal canceling. But I have had time to do it and get some pictures. You go from the stearing shaft stop pin back towards the stearing wheel 1/2 inch and drill for the roll pin (I used a 1/4 inch drill, a 1/4 roll pin is actually about .260-265). You can drill any where around the shaft (I did mine 90 degrees from the stop pin)Install the pin and cut it off at 3/8 inch sticking out, bevel the edges. When you install it make sure the new pin is at the 3 o-clock position, which should be in the center of the switch. This is a very simple operation. On a finished car it should not take more than an hour. Just pull the stearing wheel off of the shaft and take the shaft out. It could be done in the car with just the wheel off and the shaft pulled back. I have pictures I will post if ya'll want.
If someone will explane how to do it!![:I]
Poorboy

Poorboy
April 4th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Here are some pictures
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-001S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-002S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-003S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-004S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-005S.JPG

Poorboy
April 4th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Here are some pictures
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-001S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-002S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-003S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-004S.JPG
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/poorboy/MVC-005S.JPG

TurnpikeBoy
April 4th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Yeah Poorboy! Thank God sombody has a camera. Nicely done - works great, too.

Yeehah

TurnpikeBoy
April 4th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Yeah Poorboy! Thank God sombody has a camera. Nicely done - works great, too.

Yeehah

Poorboy
April 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
TurnpikeBoy, yes I'm very happy with the way it works. Unique is going to make this change to their steering shafts now in production. Anyone that feels they cannot or are unable to make this change can send the shaft to me. I will add the pin and send it back. The cost of this will be $25.00 plus return shipping. They will be shipped back the next busness day after arrival.

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
TurnpikeBoy, yes I'm very happy with the way it works. Unique is going to make this change to their steering shafts now in production. Anyone that feels they cannot or are unable to make this change can send the shaft to me. I will add the pin and send it back. The cost of this will be $25.00 plus return shipping. They will be shipped back the next busness day after arrival.

Poorboy

GeorgiaSnake
April 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Poorboy - You are one slick puppy - thanks for the pictures and info. I will have self canceling turn signals now.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
April 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Poorboy - You are one slick puppy - thanks for the pictures and info. I will have self canceling turn signals now.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

TurnpikeBoy
April 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Alan / Maurice - once again you boys have given all another reason to take your work over anybody else. Adding this quickie fix will just cement anybody's reason to buy your car. Best kit on the market - bar none. My thanks to you personally for the most enjoyable product out there.
And no reason to look for Triumph columns or mustang columns or any other damn column - your is the best. By far.

Yeehah

TurnpikeBoy
April 5th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Alan / Maurice - once again you boys have given all another reason to take your work over anybody else. Adding this quickie fix will just cement anybody's reason to buy your car. Best kit on the market - bar none. My thanks to you personally for the most enjoyable product out there.
And no reason to look for Triumph columns or mustang columns or any other damn column - your is the best. By far.

Yeehah

Homewrecker
April 20th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I did this change over the weekend. Everything worked great. It took me 1/2 hour to do the whole thing. I didn't even remove the steering wheel. I just loosened the set collar on the shaft along with the first u-joint & slid the shaft back 8" so I could drill for the 1/4" roll pin. Excellant fix!

Thanks guys

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Homewrecker
April 20th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I did this change over the weekend. Everything worked great. It took me 1/2 hour to do the whole thing. I didn't even remove the steering wheel. I just loosened the set collar on the shaft along with the first u-joint & slid the shaft back 8" so I could drill for the 1/4" roll pin. Excellant fix!

Thanks guys

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

casaleenie
April 20th, 2003, 11:06 PM
I can drive for miles with that damn directional on.... I usually don't check it until I make another turn and then just wince when I realize what I've been doing.... What a pain...

AL

casaleenie
April 20th, 2003, 11:06 PM
I can drive for miles with that damn directional on.... I usually don't check it until I make another turn and then just wince when I realize what I've been doing.... What a pain...

AL

eliminator
April 22nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Poorboy,

This is way to simple!!
Thanks, for the info and pictures. I think this should be standard equiptment on all Unique Kits. What say - Alan and Maurice??

Eliminator

eliminator
April 22nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Poorboy,

This is way to simple!!
Thanks, for the info and pictures. I think this should be standard equiptment on all Unique Kits. What say - Alan and Maurice??

Eliminator

Poorboy
April 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Eliminator,

If you check back earlier on this thread you will see I posted that all new kits will have this change.

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
Eliminator,

If you check back earlier on this thread you will see I posted that all new kits will have this change.

Poorboy