PDA

View Full Version : Sidepipe to frame fastener problem

Tony Radford
January 26th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Alan, what I originally thought was the baffles coming loose inside the sidepipe was actually the sidepipe to frame mounting tab vibrating against the frame due to the head of the fastener braking off. It's happened on both sides, not the back bolts, only the forward ones. I replaced the driver's side pipe mounting bolt and so far so good. Now the passenger side broke. I'm assuming that this connection point is stressed when the engine torques since it's a rigid connection from the head to the sidepipe. Do you think that putting some material between the sidepipe tab and frame to stop the noise is sufficient? I don't think the pipe can go anywhere unless the rear bolt were to break. Any history on this?

Thanks, Tony

Rich
January 26th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Tony,

I bought a muffler hanger with a rubber mounting strap on it. I cut the strap into 1"x1" squares and stuck a piece between the frame and the sidepipe mounting bracket. Cut the strap pieces with the existing holes in the middle so you don't have to punch new ones for the sidepipe bolts.

Just last week one of the rear bolt heads broke off my driver's side pipe. First one in 3 years.

Rich

Rich
January 26th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Tony,

I bought a muffler hanger with a rubber mounting strap on it. I cut the strap into 1"x1" squares and stuck a piece between the frame and the sidepipe mounting bracket. Cut the strap pieces with the existing holes in the middle so you don't have to punch new ones for the sidepipe bolts.

Just last week one of the rear bolt heads broke off my driver's side pipe. First one in 3 years.

Rich

Tony Radford
January 26th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Rich, thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, did you use grade 8 bolts for replacement? I don't have a need for the rubber insert as long as the bolt is in and tight. I used the soft material as a replacement for the bolt thinking it will probably continue to snap off. The one on the other side is still holding after 500 miles of so. I used grade 8 for the replacement. Not sure what was in it before.

T

Tony Radford
January 26th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Rich, thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, did you use grade 8 bolts for replacement? I don't have a need for the rubber insert as long as the bolt is in and tight. I used the soft material as a replacement for the bolt thinking it will probably continue to snap off. The one on the other side is still holding after 500 miles of so. I used grade 8 for the replacement. Not sure what was in it before.

T

Joe Garland
January 27th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Tony, When I mounted both sidepipes I left the bolts slightly loose, and the double nutted the bolt. No problems and no rattles.

Joe

Joe Garland
January 27th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Tony, When I mounted both sidepipes I left the bolts slightly loose, and the double nutted the bolt. No problems and no rattles.

Joe

weaver
January 27th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Joe, the FIA pipes bolt up different to the 427 pipes.

weaver
January 27th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Joe, the FIA pipes bolt up different to the 427 pipes.