PDA

View Full Version : tie rod ends for an MGB front end.

Joe LaFives
January 26th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Does anyone have any really good hints on how to tighten the lock nuts on the tie rod ends for an MGB front end. As you may be aware, the tie rod ends are a snug fit into the steering control arm on each of the front wheels. The thing is that the "stud" is not "locked down" on the tie rod so when you attempt to tighten the lock nut the "stud" turns as well.

Thanks
Scott

Eric Miller
January 26th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Here goes a guess.The tie rod stud should be a semi press fit .I would remove grease zerk from ball joint and apply pressure with jack until stud stops rotating and tighten lock nut.

Hope this helps
Eric

Eric Miller
January 26th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Here goes a guess.The tie rod stud should be a semi press fit .I would remove grease zerk from ball joint and apply pressure with jack until stud stops rotating and tighten lock nut.

Hope this helps
Eric

Homewrecker
January 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Here's another guess! Most tie rod ends have flat spots on them so you can put a wrench on them right next to the end of the threads. You have to look kind of close for them.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Homewrecker
January 26th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Here's another guess! Most tie rod ends have flat spots on them so you can put a wrench on them right next to the end of the threads. You have to look kind of close for them.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

weaver
January 26th, 2003, 11:54 PM
You may need to use a impact wrench, that will keep the stud from turning.

Alan Weaver

weaver
January 26th, 2003, 11:54 PM
You may need to use a impact wrench, that will keep the stud from turning.

Alan Weaver

Joe LaFives
January 27th, 2003, 10:57 PM
thanks I'll check these out

Joe LaFives
January 27th, 2003, 10:57 PM
thanks I'll check these out