PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Transmission

Silk
January 27th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Quick question - can the transmission be pulled without pulling the engine? Easy? Difficult? My Toploader appears to be packing it in, and so now I have a great cold weather project. :( :(

Gary

weaver
January 27th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Gary, the trans comes out thru the bottom and is pretty easy to get out, you will have to disconnect the shifter , drive shaft, trans cross member and safety loop. Let me know if I can help, Alan.

weaver
January 27th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Gary, the trans comes out thru the bottom and is pretty easy to get out, you will have to disconnect the shifter , drive shaft, trans cross member and safety loop. Let me know if I can help, Alan.

Silk
January 27th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Thanks, Alan.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Silk
January 27th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Thanks, Alan.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Mike Geddes
April 1st, 2003, 01:55 AM
Hi Gary
Alan is right about pulling the transmission....with the cross member out, there is enough play in the engine mounts to allow the trans. to tilt down slightly and pull away from the engine quite easily.
I run two different automatic boxes in my 427 SC....a three speed for around town and a four speed AOD for long distance trips....I've got it down to where I can change tranny's in about half a day.
Big difference with the AOD box...only turns about 1500 RPM at 72 MPH.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
April 1st, 2003, 01:55 AM
Hi Gary
Alan is right about pulling the transmission....with the cross member out, there is enough play in the engine mounts to allow the trans. to tilt down slightly and pull away from the engine quite easily.
I run two different automatic boxes in my 427 SC....a three speed for around town and a four speed AOD for long distance trips....I've got it down to where I can change tranny's in about half a day.
Big difference with the AOD box...only turns about 1500 RPM at 72 MPH.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Silk
April 30th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Just swapped out my old Toploader for a rebuilt unit - pretty much a snap just as Alan & Mike indicated. Glad I don't have an ERA - the cross-member is permanent, and the trans has to come out through the cockpit, after loosening the engine mounts etc, etc. - a very big project. Sure is nice to have syncros again! :)

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Silk
April 30th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Just swapped out my old Toploader for a rebuilt unit - pretty much a snap just as Alan & Mike indicated. Glad I don't have an ERA - the cross-member is permanent, and the trans has to come out through the cockpit, after loosening the engine mounts etc, etc. - a very big project. Sure is nice to have syncros again! :)

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Echidna
May 12th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Silk:

Give me a call, if you would, re: your transmission. 800-356-0520. Ask for Dan. Appreciate it and thanks.

Echidna
May 12th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Silk:

Give me a call, if you would, re: your transmission. 800-356-0520. Ask for Dan. Appreciate it and thanks.