PDA

View Full Version : New Wannabe Owner

ncstanger
February 1st, 2003, 02:52 PM
Let me take a minute to introduce myself, My name is Kevin Kintner, I am 21 years old, and yes I know I am young. I currently own 4 late model Mustangs and I am thinking of selling 2 of them to help fund the dream of owning a Cobra. I have done a lot of searching on the net and in magazines for the last few years and also lurking on the message boards. I know I need to vist some factories but based on what I have seen Unique is my top choice. I have considered FFR but, I believe for me to be happy with the car I will spend just as much as if I go with an Unique. I am still undecided on what I want to build exactly weather it be a 289 FIA or a 427. I was just hoping someone could give me some comments on there experiences. I would love to hear pros and cons. What you would do differently the next time. Also if anyone is in the Charlotte, NC area and wouldn't mind showing me their car I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Kintner

Homewrecker
February 1st, 2003, 10:21 PM
I went with the Unique 427. I agree with your comments about cost. Unique has a very good car & I think to get any other car to my level of satisfaction, I would have spent the same amount & would not have been as happy because of body shape. Unique has the right look to the body & stance, in my opinion. I wouldn't change a thing. I may try to build a second motor myself. I'm very happy with my Southern Automotive 428, but I just want to try a high compression FE build for fun.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Homewrecker
February 1st, 2003, 10:21 PM
I went with the Unique 427. I agree with your comments about cost. Unique has a very good car & I think to get any other car to my level of satisfaction, I would have spent the same amount & would not have been as happy because of body shape. Unique has the right look to the body & stance, in my opinion. I wouldn't change a thing. I may try to build a second motor myself. I'm very happy with my Southern Automotive 428, but I just want to try a high compression FE build for fun.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Silk
February 1st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Lots of fine manufactures out there, and if you choose carefully, you won’t be disappointed. I’ve had my Unique FIA for a little over a year and a half, and put over 10,000 miles on it. Couldn’t be more pleased. For me, the true test of satisfaction was having the opportunity over the last year and a half to meet lots of Cobra owners who drive cars from different manufactures. I’ve had the time to look at their cars a lot more closely than when I was making my initial choice, and I‘ve driven a good number of them. And after all that, I wouldn’t change a thing. Factoring in quality, originality, engineering, customer service and bang for the buck, I still think I made exactly the right choice. Good luck in your hunt for the right car!

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Silk
February 1st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Lots of fine manufactures out there, and if you choose carefully, you won’t be disappointed. I’ve had my Unique FIA for a little over a year and a half, and put over 10,000 miles on it. Couldn’t be more pleased. For me, the true test of satisfaction was having the opportunity over the last year and a half to meet lots of Cobra owners who drive cars from different manufactures. I’ve had the time to look at their cars a lot more closely than when I was making my initial choice, and I‘ve driven a good number of them. And after all that, I wouldn’t change a thing. Factoring in quality, originality, engineering, customer service and bang for the buck, I still think I made exactly the right choice. Good luck in your hunt for the right car!

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

GeorgiaSnake
February 1st, 2003, 10:36 PM
Hey Stanger if you find yourself in the Atlanta area in the near future let me know. I'll be building my Unique and would love to show it off.
I started my journey much like you, first looking at FFR and then comparing all of what was available. Unique won the battle for many reasons, price, completness, quality, the WEAVERS, location etc.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

GeorgiaSnake
February 1st, 2003, 10:36 PM
Hey Stanger if you find yourself in the Atlanta area in the near future let me know. I'll be building my Unique and would love to show it off.
I started my journey much like you, first looking at FFR and then comparing all of what was available. Unique won the battle for many reasons, price, completness, quality, the WEAVERS, location etc.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

Oldtimer
February 2nd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Hi Kevin
I think we all went through the same process, I spent 1 1/2 years trying to decide. I just ordered a 427 SC from Unique and a FE 406 from Southern Automotive. You can match the Engine to the body style or body style to engine depending on which is the most important to you. Good Luck, don't think you can go wrong with Unique.

Rich

Oldtimer
February 2nd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Hi Kevin
I think we all went through the same process, I spent 1 1/2 years trying to decide. I just ordered a 427 SC from Unique and a FE 406 from Southern Automotive. You can match the Engine to the body style or body style to engine depending on which is the most important to you. Good Luck, don't think you can go wrong with Unique.

Rich

Buzz
February 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
You can't go wrong, Kevin. Most times reality does not live up to the dream but Cobra ownership is one that is better in reality because even in your dreams you cannot imagine what a Cobra is really like - especially when it's from a quality manufacturer like Unique.

Tropical Buzz

Buzz
February 2nd, 2003, 08:57 AM
You can't go wrong, Kevin. Most times reality does not live up to the dream but Cobra ownership is one that is better in reality because even in your dreams you cannot imagine what a Cobra is really like - especially when it's from a quality manufacturer like Unique.

Tropical Buzz

ncstanger
February 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM
I want to thank everyone here for their responses. I have been ignored before on other forums and mailing lists, not sure if its my age and they think that because I am talking about building a Cobra I must be spending my parents money. But, anyways I am leaning towards building an Unique 427 with either an FE (deaming of a 427 side oiler) or a stroked 351 Windsor. I think my transmission of choice would be a Tremec TKO (overdrive would be nice on the highway and I plan to put a lot of miles on it) or a Toploader (nearly indestructible and I love how they shift.) I am looking to order mine around the end of the year. I am looking forward to gathering as much info as I can in the next year on Unique here. I gotta plan a trip down to Alabama in a few months. Again thanks everyone for your responses.

Kevin

ncstanger
February 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM
I want to thank everyone here for their responses. I have been ignored before on other forums and mailing lists, not sure if its my age and they think that because I am talking about building a Cobra I must be spending my parents money. But, anyways I am leaning towards building an Unique 427 with either an FE (deaming of a 427 side oiler) or a stroked 351 Windsor. I think my transmission of choice would be a Tremec TKO (overdrive would be nice on the highway and I plan to put a lot of miles on it) or a Toploader (nearly indestructible and I love how they shift.) I am looking to order mine around the end of the year. I am looking forward to gathering as much info as I can in the next year on Unique here. I gotta plan a trip down to Alabama in a few months. Again thanks everyone for your responses.

Kevin

creeper
February 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Good choice you won't be disappointed. You can try my webpage to see if it helps..

www.creeperscobra.com

creeper
February 2nd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Good choice you won't be disappointed. You can try my webpage to see if it helps..

www.creeperscobra.com

excelguru
February 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM
ncstanger,

Call me: 803-243-8220

I'd be happy to drive mine up to Charlotte sometime.

Keith :)

My "homepage" is my photo album.

excelguru
February 3rd, 2003, 12:29 AM
ncstanger,

Call me: 803-243-8220

I'd be happy to drive mine up to Charlotte sometime.

Keith :)

My "homepage" is my photo album.

ncstanger
February 3rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Hey Keith,

Thanks for the offer I would love to take a look at your Cobra. What part of SC are you from? I would be willing to drive down to you, unless you are just looking for a reason to take the Cobra out for a nice cruise.

Thanks,
Kevin

ncstanger
February 3rd, 2003, 08:36 AM
Hey Keith,

Thanks for the offer I would love to take a look at your Cobra. What part of SC are you from? I would be willing to drive down to you, unless you are just looking for a reason to take the Cobra out for a nice cruise.

Thanks,
Kevin

casaleenie
March 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
I literally fell into the Unique..Ignorance is bliss. Was shopping long and hard and through a series of lucky circumstances I ended up with a 289FIA.
I came so close to buying a couple other Cobras but they just didn't feel correct... The first time I saw that Unique the decision was made...... I'm absolutely sure I've made the right choice with this car... Not one second thought about it...
Do I sound delighted? Well, I am...
and it was a 289FIA on top of that... the 289 is just a little different and not as common as the 427's.
If I had to buy a 427, it would be another Unique....

AL

casaleenie
March 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM
I literally fell into the Unique..Ignorance is bliss. Was shopping long and hard and through a series of lucky circumstances I ended up with a 289FIA.
I came so close to buying a couple other Cobras but they just didn't feel correct... The first time I saw that Unique the decision was made...... I'm absolutely sure I've made the right choice with this car... Not one second thought about it...
Do I sound delighted? Well, I am...
and it was a 289FIA on top of that... the 289 is just a little different and not as common as the 427's.
If I had to buy a 427, it would be another Unique....

AL

rdorman
March 4th, 2003, 06:15 AM
I to started out looking at FFR and by the time I optioned it out where I wanted it I was getting closer to the Unique price. By the time you factured in the amount of work Unique does for you, customer service and quality (not that ffr doesn't have them) and look, there was no choice for me.

In the end I purchased a finished car. It is a Unique done about 14 years ago. While it was not done to level of many other Uniques I see, and the Weavers are constantly upgrading their product, I still greatly enjoy the car and the compliments. I did not hesitate to jump in the car and drive it 2000 miles from Pheonix to Columbus. As for which body engine, your choice.

What is interesting is that the person I bought my Unique from, ending up buying another Unique! This time a 289FIA car.

rdorman
March 4th, 2003, 06:15 AM
I to started out looking at FFR and by the time I optioned it out where I wanted it I was getting closer to the Unique price. By the time you factured in the amount of work Unique does for you, customer service and quality (not that ffr doesn't have them) and look, there was no choice for me.

In the end I purchased a finished car. It is a Unique done about 14 years ago. While it was not done to level of many other Uniques I see, and the Weavers are constantly upgrading their product, I still greatly enjoy the car and the compliments. I did not hesitate to jump in the car and drive it 2000 miles from Pheonix to Columbus. As for which body engine, your choice.

What is interesting is that the person I bought my Unique from, ending up buying another Unique! This time a 289FIA car.

Joe Garland
March 4th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Keith, I did the homework on kit cars. Go with Unique. You wont be sorry, you get what you pay for.

P.S. My reasons "jive" with the other responses.

Joe Garland
March 4th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Keith, I did the homework on kit cars. Go with Unique. You wont be sorry, you get what you pay for.

P.S. My reasons "jive" with the other responses.

Aggressor
March 5th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Kevin, I've built three Unique replicas. The third is my own car. Unique is the best value for your money that you'll find anywhere.
I'm totally sold on their products, workmanship, and support after the sale. Their business practices are excellent. -Geary

Aggressor
March 5th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Kevin, I've built three Unique replicas. The third is my own car. Unique is the best value for your money that you'll find anywhere.
I'm totally sold on their products, workmanship, and support after the sale. Their business practices are excellent. -Geary