PDA

View Full Version : Hardtops

patrija
February 4th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Anyone out there have a hardtop? I've gone back and forth on the softop and think that if I took the plunge, I'd probably opt for the hardtop. Any good or bad experiences?

Also, I like the 289 LeMans hardtop but have the 427SC. Any thoughts if the two would look good together? Also, I'm not sure it'd fit right with the body differences.

weaver
February 4th, 2003, 04:43 AM
The LeMans top will not fit on a 427 body, I think you are better off with a softop, its in the trunk when you need it and lots easier to fit on a finished car, I would not install a hardtop on a car already built.

Alan Weaver

weaver
February 4th, 2003, 04:43 AM
The LeMans top will not fit on a 427 body, I think you are better off with a softop, its in the trunk when you need it and lots easier to fit on a finished car, I would not install a hardtop on a car already built.

Alan Weaver

patrija
February 4th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Alan

That's what I needed to know, thanks. What's the going rate on a soft top kit these day? How much work is involved in properly fitting it, etc? I have the tonneau snaps around the back. My doors are NOT drilled. Thanks alot!

Jason

PS. I'm doing some dreaming to plan for a drive to SAAC if I can convince the wife. Hate to be without a top for that!

patrija
February 4th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Alan

That's what I needed to know, thanks. What's the going rate on a soft top kit these day? How much work is involved in properly fitting it, etc? I have the tonneau snaps around the back. My doors are NOT drilled. Thanks alot!

Jason

PS. I'm doing some dreaming to plan for a drive to SAAC if I can convince the wife. Hate to be without a top for that!

weaver
February 4th, 2003, 10:25 PM
It is best to have our top guy make and install it, you would have to bring it to us to have the side curtains drilled then we could take it to him for the top. We only use British sail cloth which looks better but does add to the cost, around $1900.00 for everything.

Alan

weaver
February 4th, 2003, 10:25 PM
It is best to have our top guy make and install it, you would have to bring it to us to have the side curtains drilled then we could take it to him for the top. We only use British sail cloth which looks better but does add to the cost, around $1900.00 for everything.

Alan

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Thanks! Now to talk to the wife... :D

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Thanks! Now to talk to the wife... :D

pseim
February 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Alan,
So it doesn't sound like it would be a good option to add either top at some point down the road. It's either do it at the time of order or not at all? What about the tonneau cover?
Paul

pseim
February 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Alan,
So it doesn't sound like it would be a good option to add either top at some point down the road. It's either do it at the time of order or not at all? What about the tonneau cover?
Paul

weaver
February 6th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Tonneau cover is not a problem, the problem with installing a top is finding a top shop that knows enough about Cobra tops to install it without leaving wrinkles. We send the kit or car to our top man and have it custom fitted. The body is marked for the tonneau snaps .

Alan Weaver

weaver
February 6th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Tonneau cover is not a problem, the problem with installing a top is finding a top shop that knows enough about Cobra tops to install it without leaving wrinkles. We send the kit or car to our top man and have it custom fitted. The body is marked for the tonneau snaps .

Alan Weaver

pseim
February 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM
How about fitting a hardtop?

Paul F. Seim

pseim
February 6th, 2003, 12:31 PM
How about fitting a hardtop?

Paul F. Seim

weaver
February 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
It should be fitted before paint, it is almost impossible to fit a hardtop on a painted car without scratching it and a metallic paint job is hard to touch up.

Alan Weaver

weaver
February 6th, 2003, 10:03 PM
It should be fitted before paint, it is almost impossible to fit a hardtop on a painted car without scratching it and a metallic paint job is hard to touch up.

Alan Weaver

patrija
February 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM
OK, strange question. My wife wants to know if the soft top can come in a dark blue rather than black? Guess it would be to match the stripes - by the way, I'm color blind.

patrija
February 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM
OK, strange question. My wife wants to know if the soft top can come in a dark blue rather than black? Guess it would be to match the stripes - by the way, I'm color blind.

weaver
February 14th, 2003, 01:04 PM
You can get a blue top but the side curtains only come in black.

weaver
February 14th, 2003, 01:04 PM
You can get a blue top but the side curtains only come in black.

Fasttoyz
February 21st, 2003, 02:06 AM
Hey Alan, how much for hard top? Does any one have any pics on what the holes look like on the doors for curtains? Also what does tonneau cover look like on car? Thanks

Davidlee

Fasttoyz
February 21st, 2003, 02:06 AM
Hey Alan, how much for hard top? Does any one have any pics on what the holes look like on the doors for curtains? Also what does tonneau cover look like on car? Thanks

Davidlee