PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Panels

GeorgiaSnake
February 4th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Have any of you guys made your own aluminum panels either trunk, engine or front intake shrouds. I am really giving some serious thought to adding panels to my car and would like some feed back on thickness, hardness etc.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Randy

If you start on this, let me know. I've been thinking about trying to retrofit some into my Unique.

Jason

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Randy

If you start on this, let me know. I've been thinking about trying to retrofit some into my Unique.

Jason

Mike Geddes
February 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Re; All. Panels.
I fabricated and installed panels on the firewall, footbox area of my engine compartment.I also fabricated a front cowl for air direction to the rad....this has since been removed.
I have been talking with Doug Miller...also registered on this site...but I have been doing so thru my regular E-mail....It's a long subject.Be glad to discuss with you at length either here on this site or other.
I own a Unique 427 SC....built it in 1992.....great car...Love it.
Mike.

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
February 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Re; All. Panels.
I fabricated and installed panels on the firewall, footbox area of my engine compartment.I also fabricated a front cowl for air direction to the rad....this has since been removed.
I have been talking with Doug Miller...also registered on this site...but I have been doing so thru my regular E-mail....It's a long subject.Be glad to discuss with you at length either here on this site or other.
I own a Unique 427 SC....built it in 1992.....great car...Love it.
Mike.

Mike Geddes

GeorgiaSnake
February 5th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Mike what type aluminum did you use, i.e. gauge, panel size, alloy? I know that Unique offers both an engine and trunk kit, however I need to stop the spending at some point and think I can fabricate the panels if I decide to. I have access to most of the tools, I'm just fuzzy on the material. I also have several local sources but don't know what to ask :)

Why did you remove the parts?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

GeorgiaSnake
February 5th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Mike what type aluminum did you use, i.e. gauge, panel size, alloy? I know that Unique offers both an engine and trunk kit, however I need to stop the spending at some point and think I can fabricate the panels if I decide to. I have access to most of the tools, I'm just fuzzy on the material. I also have several local sources but don't know what to ask :)

Why did you remove the parts?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Randy - When i did some research on this previously, I was convinced at the time to actually use some time annodized stainless steel panels. I can't remember all the reasons, but there were some threads on CC about it.

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Randy - When i did some research on this previously, I was convinced at the time to actually use some time annodized stainless steel panels. I can't remember all the reasons, but there were some threads on CC about it.

GeorgiaSnake
February 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Jason if you make it over Sat for the delivery we can swap notes, I was thinking of getting the aluminum anodized.
Have you heard from your brother, hope all is well with his deployment?
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

GeorgiaSnake
February 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Jason if you make it over Sat for the delivery we can swap notes, I was thinking of getting the aluminum anodized.
Have you heard from your brother, hope all is well with his deployment?
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds good. Here's some posts:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36285&highlight=stainless+steel+panels
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29438&highlight=stainless+steel+heat

His equipment (tanks, APCs, HumVees, etc) is in on a boat somewhere in the Atlanta Ocean right now. With Turkey signaling it is OK that he just bought is dream car - a '94 Porsch 968 that I'll have to bring back here to store and get some work done on (new stereo, etc.).

patrija
February 5th, 2003, 11:17 PM
Sounds good. Here's some posts:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36285&highlight=stainless+steel+panels
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29438&highlight=stainless+steel+heat

His equipment (tanks, APCs, HumVees, etc) is in on a boat somewhere in the Atlanta Ocean right now. With Turkey signaling it is OK that he just bought is dream car - a '94 Porsch 968 that I'll have to bring back here to store and get some work done on (new stereo, etc.).

eliminator
February 7th, 2003, 12:03 AM
If you guys are talking saving money by doing the panels yourself you better have full use of a good fabrication shop and free material. Then I even bet you will be total frustrated before your finished. I am not saying you can't do it but 98% of the builders cant. Yes, its alot of money for the under the hood package but by the time you research & copy and try to do it yourself its alot of time (equals money) and cash. Just my 2 cents worth.

Eliminator

eliminator
February 7th, 2003, 12:03 AM
If you guys are talking saving money by doing the panels yourself you better have full use of a good fabrication shop and free material. Then I even bet you will be total frustrated before your finished. I am not saying you can't do it but 98% of the builders cant. Yes, its alot of money for the under the hood package but by the time you research & copy and try to do it yourself its alot of time (equals money) and cash. Just my 2 cents worth.

Eliminator

GeorgiaSnake
February 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Eliminator you're probably right, however I do have access to a sheetmetal shop and the materials seem to be priced reasonably. With that said hacking up aluminum sheets by the dozen would be more than frustrating and expensive.
I guess I'm the kind of guy that would start cutting down trees if the weather forecast called for 40 days of rain.
I'll keep you posted if I decide to start bending and folding.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

GeorgiaSnake
February 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Eliminator you're probably right, however I do have access to a sheetmetal shop and the materials seem to be priced reasonably. With that said hacking up aluminum sheets by the dozen would be more than frustrating and expensive.
I guess I'm the kind of guy that would start cutting down trees if the weather forecast called for 40 days of rain.
I'll keep you posted if I decide to start bending and folding.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??