PDA

View Full Version : undercoating

dmiller
February 10th, 2003, 08:27 AM
is an undercoating the body recommended? if so, what is used? i think i saw here or somewhere else, that using the stuff to make bed liners in pickup trucks is recommended. is this a home project, or do you take the body to the pro to do? do you do it before or after top side painting? it would seem sensible to do the underside before you did any work on the exterior, to avoid handling rash.

thoughts?

doug

eliminator
February 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Doug,

You can buy a 2 part kit from Eastwood Co., I have 2 of their kits to do one car. It is recommended to roll on or spray on ( special sprayer). It is called Gator Guard bed liner. What this does is protect rocks from hitting the under side of the fenders and "staring" the paint. You just mask off and coat the under side of each fender. This stuff is tuff and much better than undercoating. Gas & oil will not melt it away. Hope this helps.

Eliminator

eliminator
February 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Doug,

You can buy a 2 part kit from Eastwood Co., I have 2 of their kits to do one car. It is recommended to roll on or spray on ( special sprayer). It is called Gator Guard bed liner. What this does is protect rocks from hitting the under side of the fenders and "staring" the paint. You just mask off and coat the under side of each fender. This stuff is tuff and much better than undercoating. Gas & oil will not melt it away. Hope this helps.

Eliminator

Poorboy
February 22nd, 2003, 06:51 AM
Doug;
Do the undercoating after the paint. If not it would be a bear to mask off all of the under side from overspray.

Poorboy
February 22nd, 2003, 06:51 AM
Doug;
Do the undercoating after the paint. If not it would be a bear to mask off all of the under side from overspray.

bruce
March 3rd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Doug
Although I have undercoated a few Cobras it really doesn't do anything but look better. The best thing to do is to black out the bottom of the car with semi gloss black using a two inch roller. Home Depots Rustoleum is great for this or any other chassis part.

If stone chips are a concern, the fibre glass is very strong and won't chip easily.

Bruce @ Jodeco Auto Body

bruce
March 3rd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Doug
Although I have undercoated a few Cobras it really doesn't do anything but look better. The best thing to do is to black out the bottom of the car with semi gloss black using a two inch roller. Home Depots Rustoleum is great for this or any other chassis part.

If stone chips are a concern, the fibre glass is very strong and won't chip easily.

Bruce @ Jodeco Auto Body

eliminator
March 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Undercoating is functional, and the best product is the P/U bed liner spray material. Fiberglass can and will star the paint if left alone.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra 201.jpg

Eliminator

eliminator
March 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Undercoating is functional, and the best product is the P/U bed liner spray material. Fiberglass can and will star the paint if left alone.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra 201.jpg

Eliminator

weaver
March 19th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Rick, how about posting more pics, it looks like your getting close to putting the body back on the chassis.

Alan

weaver
March 19th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Rick, how about posting more pics, it looks like your getting close to putting the body back on the chassis.

Alan