PDA

View Full Version : Black spats

rdorman
March 3rd, 2003, 09:55 PM
I am going to a set of the 'sticky' Goodyear Vintage 'Cobra' tires. Because of the rocks they are know for throwing, I want to put spats on the front of the rear fenders. I think black would look best. I have read where lots of people have use and undercoating or truck bed type material. It seems a little silly to me to cover the paint you are trying to protect with a product that will ruin the paint!

What have you used and what was your experience from it?

Thanks

Rick

Joe Garland
March 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Rick, I worried over the first chips. It seemed that everytime I ran the car I managed to get one more ding! I decided the cars were made to drive, besides it gives them character!

Joe Garland
March 4th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Rick, I worried over the first chips. It seemed that everytime I ran the car I managed to get one more ding! I decided the cars were made to drive, besides it gives them character!

GeorgiaSnake
March 5th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Rick
I think the undercoating was being used in the inner fender area not on the outside. You could put mud flaps on it at the risk of being shot by the first Weaver to spot you :D

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

GeorgiaSnake
March 5th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Rick
I think the undercoating was being used in the inner fender area not on the outside. You could put mud flaps on it at the risk of being shot by the first Weaver to spot you :D

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

JerryBP
March 5th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I like that (besides it gives them character) you guys should see the
rear fenders on my 72 Pantera, I have been threatning to put some
bedliner material on the bottom half. Jerry (waiting on our Cobra kit)

Jerry, 72 Pantera
owner and soon to be Cobra Builder

JerryBP
March 5th, 2003, 10:46 PM
I like that (besides it gives them character) you guys should see the
rear fenders on my 72 Pantera, I have been threatning to put some
bedliner material on the bottom half. Jerry (waiting on our Cobra kit)

Jerry, 72 Pantera
owner and soon to be Cobra Builder

eliminator
March 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Save youself alot of grief and lay a good 10-12 Mils of bedliner under the fenders. This is a full day job but will pay off in the long run. It will keep the rocks from "staring" you paint job. Like a BB hitting a window.

Eliminator

eliminator
March 11th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Save youself alot of grief and lay a good 10-12 Mils of bedliner under the fenders. This is a full day job but will pay off in the long run. It will keep the rocks from "staring" you paint job. Like a BB hitting a window.

Eliminator

Mike Geddes
March 13th, 2003, 03:50 AM
I'll go along with Joe on this one.
I've tried a few things since 1991....but found I was the only one getting a headache worrying about the minor chips.
I use 'Rocker Guard' under the fenders, but only to keep the area looking black....otherwise you sometimes see the spots of red resin.
Here in Canada we have to contend with left over salt and tons of gravel from snow melting activities......If I waited till it was all gone from our roads...I'd never use my Cobra....and thats what its really all about...use it...enjoy it..and yes..it does add character.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
March 13th, 2003, 03:50 AM
I'll go along with Joe on this one.
I've tried a few things since 1991....but found I was the only one getting a headache worrying about the minor chips.
I use 'Rocker Guard' under the fenders, but only to keep the area looking black....otherwise you sometimes see the spots of red resin.
Here in Canada we have to contend with left over salt and tons of gravel from snow melting activities......If I waited till it was all gone from our roads...I'd never use my Cobra....and thats what its really all about...use it...enjoy it..and yes..it does add character.
Mike

Mike Geddes