PDA

View Full Version : Body Buck

GeorgiaSnake
March 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Anyone planning to build the buck from the plans Unique supplies you can save a bit of money and a ton of time if you use 3" drywall screws in lieu of the bolts. You can also build it with 12 2x4's if you plan your cuts properly instead of 16. I have just finished mine and from the time I cut the first board to finished buck was less than 2 hours.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Paint ??
Wheels ??

Mike Geddes
March 21st, 2003, 01:50 AM
Body Buck.
When I built my 427, space was very limited in my garage...So I built a body 'trolley' that was wide enough and high enough to roll right over the frame ( with full size wheels and tires in place).When I had
finished working on either piece, the trolly rolled back over the frame / engine....and essentially only took up the space of one car.
Having the body this high was great for working inside the engine compartment....painting..aluminum panels etc.
I do not have any plans for it, but from memory, I could sketch it up and FAX it to anyone who might want to give it a try.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
March 21st, 2003, 01:50 AM
Body Buck.
When I built my 427, space was very limited in my garage...So I built a body 'trolley' that was wide enough and high enough to roll right over the frame ( with full size wheels and tires in place).When I had
finished working on either piece, the trolly rolled back over the frame / engine....and essentially only took up the space of one car.
Having the body this high was great for working inside the engine compartment....painting..aluminum panels etc.
I do not have any plans for it, but from memory, I could sketch it up and FAX it to anyone who might want to give it a try.
Mike

Mike Geddes

dmiller
March 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM
i just removed my body and put it on a much simpler(than the one allan sent plans for) trolley. i built a box with reiinforced corners, and 4 casters. the body is sitting on it now, and i'll photo soon to put in response. if i determine that the frt or rear end is sagging i can extend supports to the front, or rear. first impression is that the front is not sagging appreciably, but haven't taken time to prove that. i may have made mine too tall, but it will be a comfortable elevation to do the sides and fenders, a reach to get o center of body and trunk.

doug

dmiller
March 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM
i just removed my body and put it on a much simpler(than the one allan sent plans for) trolley. i built a box with reiinforced corners, and 4 casters. the body is sitting on it now, and i'll photo soon to put in response. if i determine that the frt or rear end is sagging i can extend supports to the front, or rear. first impression is that the front is not sagging appreciably, but haven't taken time to prove that. i may have made mine too tall, but it will be a comfortable elevation to do the sides and fenders, a reach to get o center of body and trunk.

doug

dmiller
March 21st, 2003, 11:14 PM
my simple rolling support. i think it will be ok, but can if necessary, add additional outriggers to support front and/or rear end.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/dmiller/DSCN0511-email.jpg

dmiller
March 21st, 2003, 11:14 PM
my simple rolling support. i think it will be ok, but can if necessary, add additional outriggers to support front and/or rear end.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/dmiller/DSCN0511-email.jpg