PDA

View Full Version : steering mechanism u jounts

dmiller
March 15th, 2003, 08:23 AM
i'm having difficulty sliding the steering u jounts off of the splines. i've removed the set screws that have jam nuts, can see the spline where the set screws pressed against it, but have not been able to slide the spline shafts out of the u jounts. i havent' put much force against them yet, thinking that new ones should slide easily.

is there some "trick" that all good mechanics know, and me not being in that group don't know. i'll look forward to response.

and if it just takes a big force, hammer, etc, let me know that too.

289 under construction now.

thanks

doug

Poorboy
March 15th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Doug;
Some of the shafts fit tight in the joints. You can use a brass punch and hammer(the brass won't mark the joint as bad). You can also use an open end wrench that just fits over the shaft, hit the side of the wrench with the hammer.

Poorboy

Poorboy
March 15th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Doug;
Some of the shafts fit tight in the joints. You can use a brass punch and hammer(the brass won't mark the joint as bad). You can also use an open end wrench that just fits over the shaft, hit the side of the wrench with the hammer.

Poorboy

GeorgiaSnake
March 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Doug I too struggled with the steering shaft removal. After I took the support bearing loose it just slipped out. For a while I looked like a monkey f**king a football.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
March 15th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Doug I too struggled with the steering shaft removal. After I took the support bearing loose it just slipped out. For a while I looked like a monkey f**king a football.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

dmiller
March 15th, 2003, 11:35 PM
thanks to poorboy, his open end wrench worked very well, hardly any tap force at all resulted in them slipping rite off.

still trying to put the turn signal plastic cover back together, had to disassemble it to get the wiring harness to slip thru dash openning . my opportunity to look like a monkey.

be prepared for more questions. and thank you for that good solution.

doug

dmiller
March 15th, 2003, 11:35 PM
thanks to poorboy, his open end wrench worked very well, hardly any tap force at all resulted in them slipping rite off.

still trying to put the turn signal plastic cover back together, had to disassemble it to get the wiring harness to slip thru dash openning . my opportunity to look like a monkey.

be prepared for more questions. and thank you for that good solution.

doug

Poorboy
March 16th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Doug;
When you get it back together leave it that way. You can put in back though the dash asembeled. You have to wiggle the plug though alongside the column.

Poorboy

Poorboy
March 16th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Doug;
When you get it back together leave it that way. You can put in back though the dash asembeled. You have to wiggle the plug though alongside the column.

Poorboy

dmiller
March 16th, 2003, 10:41 AM
tomorrows project is to remove the lamps(then the body is stripped) and build a "fixture" to support the body on caster wheels so that i can do the body prep. my fixture is not going to be as elaborate as the one weaver sent me. just a box to support the body and allow me to push it around in the garage.

original plan was to finish by 7/4. but think that is not going to happen.

appreciate your suggestions.

doug

dmiller
March 16th, 2003, 10:41 AM
tomorrows project is to remove the lamps(then the body is stripped) and build a "fixture" to support the body on caster wheels so that i can do the body prep. my fixture is not going to be as elaborate as the one weaver sent me. just a box to support the body and allow me to push it around in the garage.

original plan was to finish by 7/4. but think that is not going to happen.

appreciate your suggestions.

doug

Poorboy
March 17th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Doug;
You need to make it so it will support the nose. It will droop if you don't. You do know to fit the doors, hood, & trunk before you take it off the frame.

Poorboy

Poorboy
March 17th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Doug;
You need to make it so it will support the nose. It will droop if you don't. You do know to fit the doors, hood, & trunk before you take it off the frame.

Poorboy

dmiller
March 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM
yes, thank you.

doug

dmiller
March 17th, 2003, 10:48 AM
yes, thank you.

doug