PDA

View Full Version : slave cylinder clutch

dmiller
April 24th, 2003, 06:07 AM
does anyone have a photo of the slave cyl and linkage. i'm using a 351W

if you would post a photo, i'd appreciate.

perhaps the auto store miss cross referenced the cylinder specified in the build manual, but i don't see how the cyl i have will match up with any bolt holes on the engine or bell housing.

thanks.

doug

Poorboy
April 24th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Doug,
It won't bolt directly to the bell housing. You have to use a spacer and notch the bellhousing for the rod. I'll try and get a picture and post it tomorrow.

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 24th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Doug,
It won't bolt directly to the bell housing. You have to use a spacer and notch the bellhousing for the rod. I'll try and get a picture and post it tomorrow.

Poorboy

casaleenie
April 24th, 2003, 11:33 PM
OK, here goes,

There is a long return spring connected to a lever that sticks out the side of the bellhousing..The spring is connected at the other end to a bracket not really made to have the spring connected to it.. The spring rides over the slave cylinder and is tearing up the protective rubber cover on the slave. Is there another point at which to make that spring connection? Seems like a sloppy installation...
Just things I'm finding as I crawl over the car...

AL

casaleenie
April 24th, 2003, 11:33 PM
OK, here goes,

There is a long return spring connected to a lever that sticks out the side of the bellhousing..The spring is connected at the other end to a bracket not really made to have the spring connected to it.. The spring rides over the slave cylinder and is tearing up the protective rubber cover on the slave. Is there another point at which to make that spring connection? Seems like a sloppy installation...
Just things I'm finding as I crawl over the car...

AL

Mike Geddes
April 25th, 2003, 01:20 AM
HI Doug.
We've talked about this before.....but
Ever thought any more about putting an automatic box in there.?
You are almost as tall as myself, and there is NO WAY that I could ever operate a clutch pedal in my 427.Even with the depressed foot well, my right leg gets cramped up a bit being bent at an angle all the time....on long runs.
When the cold weather up here breaks, I'll uncover my car and tell you what strange animals made their nests in it for the winter.

Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
April 25th, 2003, 01:20 AM
HI Doug.
We've talked about this before.....but
Ever thought any more about putting an automatic box in there.?
You are almost as tall as myself, and there is NO WAY that I could ever operate a clutch pedal in my 427.Even with the depressed foot well, my right leg gets cramped up a bit being bent at an angle all the time....on long runs.
When the cold weather up here breaks, I'll uncover my car and tell you what strange animals made their nests in it for the winter.

Mike

Mike Geddes

dmiller
April 25th, 2003, 03:38 AM
i am not qualified to use an automatic tranny, never learned, and too old to try now. so standard it is, regardless of foot space.

i drove a superperformance 427 with a 427 side oiler, and made several false stabs at the clutch, hitting the brake instead, doesn't do much for ones acceleration when that happens. but i think in time, one can fit into it ok.

dmiller
April 25th, 2003, 03:38 AM
i am not qualified to use an automatic tranny, never learned, and too old to try now. so standard it is, regardless of foot space.

i drove a superperformance 427 with a 427 side oiler, and made several false stabs at the clutch, hitting the brake instead, doesn't do much for ones acceleration when that happens. but i think in time, one can fit into it ok.

dmiller
April 25th, 2003, 03:44 AM
i just talked to alan, and unique offers a kit to hook all up.

that is the simple solution.

doug

dmiller
April 25th, 2003, 03:44 AM
i just talked to alan, and unique offers a kit to hook all up.

that is the simple solution.

doug

Poorboy
April 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Doug,
Sorry about not posting a picture of the clutch slave setup. There is not one with a small block in the shop that I can take one of.
Al,
You can drill a 1/8" hole in the frame and hook the spring there. Did you buy your car from Fred Savill?

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Doug,
Sorry about not posting a picture of the clutch slave setup. There is not one with a small block in the shop that I can take one of.
Al,
You can drill a 1/8" hole in the frame and hook the spring there. Did you buy your car from Fred Savill?

Poorboy

GeorgiaSnake
April 26th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Poorboy

I took some pictures of mine and sent them via email - so you are off the hook.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
April 26th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Poorboy

I took some pictures of mine and sent them via email - so you are off the hook.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

dmiller
April 26th, 2003, 03:37 AM
i bought my car direct from weavers. it is a 289 fia, with 351 W. thanks for the assistance. and alan informed me that they offer a kit with return spring, slave cyl, attachment block, and linkage to complete this step.

thanks
doug

dmiller
April 26th, 2003, 03:37 AM
i bought my car direct from weavers. it is a 289 fia, with 351 W. thanks for the assistance. and alan informed me that they offer a kit with return spring, slave cyl, attachment block, and linkage to complete this step.

thanks
doug