PDA

View Full Version : Alan, I blew an exhaust gasket.

Tony Radford
April 27th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Alan,

How hard it to replace a driver's side exhaust manifold gasket. I've got a Windsor. It looks like it could be tough. If I detach the side pipe from the frame and pull the header bolts from the head, will the header drop back far enough from the head to fish in a new one?

Thanks,

Tony

Poorboy
April 27th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Tony,
Take the header loose from the side pipe, it will be easier to handle. You should have enough room to take the header completely out of the way.

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 27th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Tony,
Take the header loose from the side pipe, it will be easier to handle. You should have enough room to take the header completely out of the way.

Poorboy

Silk
April 27th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Not too long ago I replaced both manifold gaskets (351W) without disconnecting the headers from the sidepipes. Just pulled the front bolts connecting the sidepipes to the frame and loosened the rear bolts. Probably a lot easier if you detach the sidepipes, but it can be done - just.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

Silk
April 27th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Not too long ago I replaced both manifold gaskets (351W) without disconnecting the headers from the sidepipes. Just pulled the front bolts connecting the sidepipes to the frame and loosened the rear bolts. Probably a lot easier if you detach the sidepipes, but it can be done - just.

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

GeorgiaSnake
April 28th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Tony,

If you remove the headers you may want to consider going back with a silicone like Permatex PTX/26 in lieu of a gasket. Remember to check you header bolts frequently for tightness.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
April 28th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Tony,

If you remove the headers you may want to consider going back with a silicone like Permatex PTX/26 in lieu of a gasket. Remember to check you header bolts frequently for tightness.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver