PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid

casaleenie
April 30th, 2003, 12:09 AM
If the car was assembled at Unique is the brake fluid installed at that time???? I want to top off the fluid levels on the clutch and brakes... Is it just DOT #3 fluid or is it silicone?

al

AL

Poorboy
April 30th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Your car left Unique as a deluxe kit therefore no brake fluid in the system. You will have to ask the po what he used.

Poorboy

Poorboy
April 30th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Your car left Unique as a deluxe kit therefore no brake fluid in the system. You will have to ask the po what he used.

Poorboy

eliminator
May 5th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Depending on the type clutch system you are using will dictate the fluid. Hyd. throw-out bearings in general use only Dot 3. The Unique brakes can go Dot 3, 4, or 5. My suggestion is use a good grade Dot 5 , Synthetic Fluid. Pluses, wont damage the paint or other metals. Minus, needs to be changes anually, as it tends to pick up moisture. Dot 3 works really well but dont get it on anything, aluminum, paint, ect. My car has DOT 5 for brakes and DOT 3 for the Clutch.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 5th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Depending on the type clutch system you are using will dictate the fluid. Hyd. throw-out bearings in general use only Dot 3. The Unique brakes can go Dot 3, 4, or 5. My suggestion is use a good grade Dot 5 , Synthetic Fluid. Pluses, wont damage the paint or other metals. Minus, needs to be changes anually, as it tends to pick up moisture. Dot 3 works really well but dont get it on anything, aluminum, paint, ect. My car has DOT 5 for brakes and DOT 3 for the Clutch.

Eliminator

rdorman
June 4th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Al, if your car has wilwood components, do NOT use DOT 5 silicon fluid. I use wilwood 570 which works well and Valvoline synthetic (not silicon) works well and is easy on the wallet.
Rick

rdorman
June 4th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Al, if your car has wilwood components, do NOT use DOT 5 silicon fluid. I use wilwood 570 which works well and Valvoline synthetic (not silicon) works well and is easy on the wallet.
Rick

eliminator
June 5th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Correction, after seeing Rick's reply, I am also using Valvoline synthetic for the brakes and Wilwood Hitemp which is a Dot 3 fluid on the clutch. Question, if you dont know the history of the car then I would completely bleed and refill all cylinders with new fluid. I will do this anually.

Eliminator

eliminator
June 5th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Correction, after seeing Rick's reply, I am also using Valvoline synthetic for the brakes and Wilwood Hitemp which is a Dot 3 fluid on the clutch. Question, if you dont know the history of the car then I would completely bleed and refill all cylinders with new fluid. I will do this anually.

Eliminator