PDA

View Full Version : leak in jag rear end.

casaleenie
May 8th, 2003, 12:39 AM
small leak in drivers side of Jag rear end.... Left inboard rotor is oil covered on outside edge... First saw it when under the car- there was small amount of oil on fiberglass above the rotor- centrifical force was throwing it up. Only a few drops of rear end fluid but I know somethings not correct.. I'm a maroon when it comes to cars (not a moron but just a maroon).
It's not leaking out of the rear plate but in the area of the bolts that are wired..
Any ideas???? any quick fixes????

AL

Poorboy
May 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Al
It is probley the stub axle carrier o-ring or seal. It can be done in the car but you have to remove the brake caliper, rotor, axle, to get to the carrier.

Poorboy

Poorboy
May 8th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Al
It is probley the stub axle carrier o-ring or seal. It can be done in the car but you have to remove the brake caliper, rotor, axle, to get to the carrier.

Poorboy

GeorgiaSnake
May 8th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Al are you sure it's not brake fluid?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 8th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Al are you sure it's not brake fluid?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

casaleenie
May 8th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Randy,

Yea, I double checked and wiped everything down on several occasions to make sure... Brake fluid levels are good. Checked all the flared fittings... all ok... Heavy black gear fluid...
Was hoping it was a brake leak...

al

AL

casaleenie
May 8th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Randy,

Yea, I double checked and wiped everything down on several occasions to make sure... Brake fluid levels are good. Checked all the flared fittings... all ok... Heavy black gear fluid...
Was hoping it was a brake leak...

al

AL

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Thats a real let down on a recent build, I would contact Maurice on that. Reminds me of "Days of Thunder" when he was talking to the car and stated "that's not the answer I wanted". Sorry to hear about it.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Thats a real let down on a recent build, I would contact Maurice on that. Reminds me of "Days of Thunder" when he was talking to the car and stated "that's not the answer I wanted". Sorry to hear about it.

Eliminator

casaleenie
May 12th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Someone posted a picture of a replacement zirk(sp) fitting on the rear axle of the Jag. It was over the past few days...I crawled under the car just now and found a steel cap on the casting closest to the rear wheels. Someone posted that you're supposed to fill that with grease and to make it easier he put in aluminum fittings... Does anyone recall this... I bought this car with no instructions and it's a learning process that I enjoy but I don't like surprises...

AL

casaleenie
May 12th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Someone posted a picture of a replacement zirk(sp) fitting on the rear axle of the Jag. It was over the past few days...I crawled under the car just now and found a steel cap on the casting closest to the rear wheels. Someone posted that you're supposed to fill that with grease and to make it easier he put in aluminum fittings... Does anyone recall this... I bought this car with no instructions and it's a learning process that I enjoy but I don't like surprises...

AL

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Call Butch Capps, Mid-South Gear in Knoxville, TN. He is a Unique Dealer and builds their rear - ends. He can answer your questions, 1-865-5244800.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Call Butch Capps, Mid-South Gear in Knoxville, TN. He is a Unique Dealer and builds their rear - ends. He can answer your questions, 1-865-5244800.

Eliminator

Poorboy
May 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Butch builds the center sections only. The aluminum fittings were available from Concorse West.

Poorboy

Poorboy
May 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Butch builds the center sections only. The aluminum fittings were available from Concorse West.

Poorboy

casaleenie
May 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll give Butch a call when things settle down here... Weather is crap and got a few graduation and first communion parties to deal with....

Later,
al

AL

casaleenie
May 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll give Butch a call when things settle down here... Weather is crap and got a few graduation and first communion parties to deal with....

Later,
al

AL

rldunn7
June 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
i agree with Poorboy...sounds like the axle stub O ring. You will learn a lot getting in there and replacing that O ring. I had one that left two drops of rearend dope on the floor...It was driving me nuts. Got a new O ring and took the Morning tearing the rearend apart, cleaned all the pieces to "next to godliness" clean, some rtv on both the stub and the housing pieces and put it all back like you found it with no parts left over...no leaky now for three years.

This will be a learning experience for you and will teach you patience.
The only problem is there just isn't a lot of room to remove and reinstall the brake caliper....good luck if you decide to fix or you can buy a lot of brake cleaner till then...it's cheap!

dickieboy7

rldunn7
June 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
i agree with Poorboy...sounds like the axle stub O ring. You will learn a lot getting in there and replacing that O ring. I had one that left two drops of rearend dope on the floor...It was driving me nuts. Got a new O ring and took the Morning tearing the rearend apart, cleaned all the pieces to "next to godliness" clean, some rtv on both the stub and the housing pieces and put it all back like you found it with no parts left over...no leaky now for three years.

This will be a learning experience for you and will teach you patience.
The only problem is there just isn't a lot of room to remove and reinstall the brake caliper....good luck if you decide to fix or you can buy a lot of brake cleaner till then...it's cheap!

dickieboy7

casaleenie
June 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM
dickieboy,

Doesn't leak enough to drop on floor.... I've got about 5K on the car and i checked the differential fluid and added very little. Probably won't get at it till this winter...
And I have no patience... This may not be the learning experience I want to put myself through... I'll see what the status of the leak is in August and make plans then...
Thanks for the info....it scared the hell outta me....

al

AL

casaleenie
June 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM
dickieboy,

Doesn't leak enough to drop on floor.... I've got about 5K on the car and i checked the differential fluid and added very little. Probably won't get at it till this winter...
And I have no patience... This may not be the learning experience I want to put myself through... I'll see what the status of the leak is in August and make plans then...
Thanks for the info....it scared the hell outta me....

al

AL