PDA

View Full Version : Hand brake

creeper
May 8th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Has anyone installed a cable hand brake on their car? Difficult? Parts required? I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling with the line lock.

TurnpikeBoy
May 8th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Bought the parts with the car, put in during the build and no problems - works excellent. Handbrake is mounted in the typical place. I used tee-nut inserts thru the glass in the tunnel to mount the ass'y (did have to shave down the barbs on the t-nuts tho), screwed it together as tight as possible using a wrench on the shaft of the screwdriver. Measured and cut the cable with a bit of slop to accomodate any extra length needed, clamped it together and voila! - it works just fine. You can expect some cable stretch subsequent to repeated use; just screw in the adjusters (both ends) before you cut to length and you'll have plenty of take-up capability. When you yank on the handbrake lever the glass does flex a bit, but nothing really objectionable. And it works. I haven't used the linelock brake yet; don't even know if it really works. But I know that when the handbrake is set, it will stall the engine, forward or reverse.

Yeehah

TurnpikeBoy
May 8th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Bought the parts with the car, put in during the build and no problems - works excellent. Handbrake is mounted in the typical place. I used tee-nut inserts thru the glass in the tunnel to mount the ass'y (did have to shave down the barbs on the t-nuts tho), screwed it together as tight as possible using a wrench on the shaft of the screwdriver. Measured and cut the cable with a bit of slop to accomodate any extra length needed, clamped it together and voila! - it works just fine. You can expect some cable stretch subsequent to repeated use; just screw in the adjusters (both ends) before you cut to length and you'll have plenty of take-up capability. When you yank on the handbrake lever the glass does flex a bit, but nothing really objectionable. And it works. I haven't used the linelock brake yet; don't even know if it really works. But I know that when the handbrake is set, it will stall the engine, forward or reverse.

Yeehah

Brent
May 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM
An aluminum plate on the back side of the tunnel will take the flex out. .100 should work

Brent
May 8th, 2003, 04:39 AM
An aluminum plate on the back side of the tunnel will take the flex out. .100 should work

creeper
May 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks, looks like I'll have to do it. Alan you got all the parts I need? Looks like you're gonna get more of my money.[^]

creeper
May 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks, looks like I'll have to do it. Alan you got all the parts I need? Looks like you're gonna get more of my money.[^]

GeorgiaSnake
May 9th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Alan I might do the same. I'll get with you next week on all of the parts I need.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 9th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Alan I might do the same. I'll get with you next week on all of the parts I need.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 04:53 AM
I am proud to say I have a perfectly functional emergency brake. You can stiffen the fiberglass tunnel inside and outside. I used 1/4" aluminum on the ouside and 1/8" on the inside. You will also have to modify the brake lever. THen mount a flat braket to the underside of the car so the mounting braket on the cable can adjustt (rough adjustment) forward and backward. I have pictures, I will post or send me your e-mail address to rpb1200@aol.com. Works so good it wouldn't move under power with the brake on.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 12th, 2003, 04:53 AM
I am proud to say I have a perfectly functional emergency brake. You can stiffen the fiberglass tunnel inside and outside. I used 1/4" aluminum on the ouside and 1/8" on the inside. You will also have to modify the brake lever. THen mount a flat braket to the underside of the car so the mounting braket on the cable can adjustt (rough adjustment) forward and backward. I have pictures, I will post or send me your e-mail address to rpb1200@aol.com. Works so good it wouldn't move under power with the brake on.

Eliminator