PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau Cover Installation

GeorgiaSnake
May 14th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Alan or anyone do you have any tips for installing the tonneau cover. I have installed all of the little whatchamacallits (except the one I broke off) and now need to fit the cover, punch the holes (what size, tool etc) and install the clips.

Thanks
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
May 14th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Randy,

Get some duct tape, then pull your cover tight over the snap posts. Position where you want it and pull it tight and tape it down. Mark the top with some type of marker where the post pushes up. I used a white Testors paint marker (pen like). Just a little dot. Then use a hand punch, leather type with rotary punches (different sizes on rotary) available at Lowe's, Home Depot, ect., pick the size and punch the hole out. Then get a small hammer and punch, after you position the snap (it with push through the cover) push the clips down over a block of wood with the punch. Then you can lightly hammer them in place with the punch and hammer if needed. Time consuming process but pretty easy.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 14th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Randy,

Get some duct tape, then pull your cover tight over the snap posts. Position where you want it and pull it tight and tape it down. Mark the top with some type of marker where the post pushes up. I used a white Testors paint marker (pen like). Just a little dot. Then use a hand punch, leather type with rotary punches (different sizes on rotary) available at Lowe's, Home Depot, ect., pick the size and punch the hole out. Then get a small hammer and punch, after you position the snap (it with push through the cover) push the clips down over a block of wood with the punch. Then you can lightly hammer them in place with the punch and hammer if needed. Time consuming process but pretty easy.

Eliminator

ToyCollector
May 14th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Randy,

On my SPF, that cover was TIGHT once it was snapped on. Pretty important otherwise it will flap like crazy and abrade the paint I assume over time. I also used it alot when washing the car in the beginning, but still directed spray away from the cockpit when rinsing.

ToyCollector
May 14th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Randy,

On my SPF, that cover was TIGHT once it was snapped on. Pretty important otherwise it will flap like crazy and abrade the paint I assume over time. I also used it alot when washing the car in the beginning, but still directed spray away from the cockpit when rinsing.

GeorgiaSnake
May 14th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the tips. Duct tape to the rescue one more time. I can't believe I didn't think about it, something about not seeing the trees for the forest.

TC I lost your email address & cell number in a computer crash - please send it to me - unless you prefer to remain hidden in your garage with all of your beautiful toys - also Kirkham status please.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 14th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the tips. Duct tape to the rescue one more time. I can't believe I didn't think about it, something about not seeing the trees for the forest.

TC I lost your email address & cell number in a computer crash - please send it to me - unless you prefer to remain hidden in your garage with all of your beautiful toys - also Kirkham status please.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Homewrecker
May 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM
They also make a punch that punches the four prong holes & the main hole all at once. Do a search for "lift a dot" punch. I got mine from McMaster Carr for about $35. It takes alot of the time out of punching & cutting the holes. Makes it a "snap" to do.
Also, make sure to install the snaps in the direction so that the tension of the cover will keep the snaps on & not make them pop off.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Homewrecker
May 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM
They also make a punch that punches the four prong holes & the main hole all at once. Do a search for "lift a dot" punch. I got mine from McMaster Carr for about $35. It takes alot of the time out of punching & cutting the holes. Makes it a "snap" to do.
Also, make sure to install the snaps in the direction so that the tension of the cover will keep the snaps on & not make them pop off.

Dave Brouwer
Unique 427 with SA 428 & Toploader

Tony Radford
May 15th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Randy, I was planning to take my car and cover to Tim's upholstry shop in Duluth next week to have them installed. I'm interested in the concept of installing them myself and a bit afraid as I only have one shot at getting it right. It will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars to have a professional shop do it. Please let me know if you decide to purchase a tool.

Tony Radford
May 15th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Randy, I was planning to take my car and cover to Tim's upholstry shop in Duluth next week to have them installed. I'm interested in the concept of installing them myself and a bit afraid as I only have one shot at getting it right. It will probably cost a couple of hundred dollars to have a professional shop do it. Please let me know if you decide to purchase a tool.

GeorgiaSnake
May 16th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Tony, Lets do it together. Since my car is not running you would have to drive over here. Clyde can come too and we can do the three of them. I have tried a trial fit with the tape and don't think it's that big a deal. Let me know.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 16th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Tony, Lets do it together. Since my car is not running you would have to drive over here. Clyde can come too and we can do the three of them. I have tried a trial fit with the tape and don't think it's that big a deal. Let me know.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Tony Radford
May 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Randy, did you buy the tool? When will you be ready. My problem is that I have to have it done before this coming Friday. I have an open trailer reserved for the trip up to SAAC on Friday afternoon. I really don't know why I'm hauling it up, it just seems like the right thing to do.

Tony Radford
May 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Randy, did you buy the tool? When will you be ready. My problem is that I have to have it done before this coming Friday. I have an open trailer reserved for the trip up to SAAC on Friday afternoon. I really don't know why I'm hauling it up, it just seems like the right thing to do.

GeorgiaSnake
May 18th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Tony I just located the tool and won't get it for a few days. Looks like rain all this week until Friday so we would have a tough time getting your car over, on the good side the forecast for Nashville looks great this weekend so you won't need a tonneau. Wish I were going.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 18th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Tony I just located the tool and won't get it for a few days. Looks like rain all this week until Friday so we would have a tough time getting your car over, on the good side the forecast for Nashville looks great this weekend so you won't need a tonneau. Wish I were going.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Tony Radford
May 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Randy, being the impatient SOB that I am, I took the car to the upholstry shop yesterday when the break came in the weather. It should be done today. You're probably right about not needing it for the trip. Oh well, I've been needing to get it done forever.

Tony Radford
May 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Randy, being the impatient SOB that I am, I took the car to the upholstry shop yesterday when the break came in the weather. It should be done today. You're probably right about not needing it for the trip. Oh well, I've been needing to get it done forever.

Tony Radford
May 21st, 2003, 05:18 AM
Randy, I picked up the car today and was able to get it home in between showers. The cover looks good. I paid $300 to have the snaps installed (yikes). I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper, but what the hell, I needed to get it done. Doing it yourself will certainly be worth it. I drove down the road with the passenger half attached so I could see how violently it flapped going down the road. It really wasn't bad since the snaps ride a bit high on the studs. I'm interested because I like the idea of having the cover on the car while towing it on an open trailer. I don't think it will be a problem.

Tony Radford
May 21st, 2003, 05:18 AM
Randy, I picked up the car today and was able to get it home in between showers. The cover looks good. I paid $300 to have the snaps installed (yikes). I was hoping it would be a bit cheaper, but what the hell, I needed to get it done. Doing it yourself will certainly be worth it. I drove down the road with the passenger half attached so I could see how violently it flapped going down the road. It really wasn't bad since the snaps ride a bit high on the studs. I'm interested because I like the idea of having the cover on the car while towing it on an open trailer. I don't think it will be a problem.

ToyCollector
May 22nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
I want in when you do this, I have a tonneau for one of the other sleds that needs similar fasteners, if not identical. Welcome at my shack to do this as well.

ToyCollector
May 22nd, 2003, 11:06 AM
I want in when you do this, I have a tonneau for one of the other sleds that needs similar fasteners, if not identical. Welcome at my shack to do this as well.

GeorgiaSnake
May 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
TC I think Clyde has located a tool to use. We will probably do it next weekend at my house since my car is still a bit hard to drive. I'll keep you posted. We need to do yours first anyway so we can learn how.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
TC I think Clyde has located a tool to use. We will probably do it next weekend at my house since my car is still a bit hard to drive. I'll keep you posted. We need to do yours first anyway so we can learn how.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver