PDA

View Full Version : Battery cable worn

casaleenie
May 28th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Been crawling under the car just double checking everything in the build... It's a 289 with the battery mounted in the trunk... I'm assuming that this is normal placement... The negative cable runs through the bulkhead and is secured to the frame. The place where the cable runs through the bulkhead has rubbed the insulation off the cable.. A car builder friend of mine says that there is a connection available from SUMMIT that mounts in the bulkhead and the battery cables are cut and installed in the connection on either side of the bulkhead... I know this description seems vague but does anyone know what I'm talking about????? I've gone throught the Summit catalog several times but can't find that connector....

AL

GeorgiaSnake
May 28th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Al try Jegs part number 555-10317 or Moroso MOR 74145.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
May 28th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Al try Jegs part number 555-10317 or Moroso MOR 74145.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

casaleenie
May 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Randy,

Thanks a million....

Coming to the Spring Fling??? Hope to see you there....
Is the car on the road yet??

al

AL

casaleenie
May 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Randy,

Thanks a million....

Coming to the Spring Fling??? Hope to see you there....
Is the car on the road yet??

al

AL

jhaynie
May 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM
I replaced my cables last month. They were 4 gauge welding cable and I replaced them with 2 gauge battery cable. My battery is in the rear drivers wheel well, with the cables running through the wheel well to the disconnect switch. Anyway, I pulled out the cables and reamed out the hole with my die grinder. Then I pushed in a PCV valve grommet from Autozone that had an i.d. close to the diameter of the battery cable. It looks finished and doesn't rub the cable anymore. The only trick to new cables is getting them cut to length and the ends crimped on them. NAPA here in Augusta will make cables for you. Don't ask the guys at Pepboys or anyplace like that. They would think you were crazy.

jhaynie
May 28th, 2003, 11:02 AM
I replaced my cables last month. They were 4 gauge welding cable and I replaced them with 2 gauge battery cable. My battery is in the rear drivers wheel well, with the cables running through the wheel well to the disconnect switch. Anyway, I pulled out the cables and reamed out the hole with my die grinder. Then I pushed in a PCV valve grommet from Autozone that had an i.d. close to the diameter of the battery cable. It looks finished and doesn't rub the cable anymore. The only trick to new cables is getting them cut to length and the ends crimped on them. NAPA here in Augusta will make cables for you. Don't ask the guys at Pepboys or anyplace like that. They would think you were crazy.

Brent
May 29th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I prefer the grommet to the bulkhead just for the reason of corosion.A ground can cause alot of trouble and this is one less connection to worry about.

Brent
May 29th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I prefer the grommet to the bulkhead just for the reason of corosion.A ground can cause alot of trouble and this is one less connection to worry about.

jhaynie
May 29th, 2003, 02:48 AM
What bulkhead are you talking about. Is this behind the drivers seat?

jhaynie
May 29th, 2003, 02:48 AM
What bulkhead are you talking about. Is this behind the drivers seat?

Brent
May 29th, 2003, 03:26 AM
I was talking about the "bulkhead fitting" used to pass through a firewall. Randy has listd the part #s above.

Brent
May 29th, 2003, 03:26 AM
I was talking about the "bulkhead fitting" used to pass through a firewall. Randy has listd the part #s above.

eliminator
May 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM
As far as making up cables, stick to the welding cable, it will handle more amps and is more flexible than battery cable. To make a nice cut use a Dremmel Tool with the abrasive cut off-wheel, works like a charm. Eastwood has a jig to crimp battery connectors on the cable, very trick, all you need is a hammer, not very expensive. As Brent said, run the cable through the body with a good rubber grommet, less connections mean less trouble and expense.

Eliminator

eliminator
May 29th, 2003, 04:13 AM
As far as making up cables, stick to the welding cable, it will handle more amps and is more flexible than battery cable. To make a nice cut use a Dremmel Tool with the abrasive cut off-wheel, works like a charm. Eastwood has a jig to crimp battery connectors on the cable, very trick, all you need is a hammer, not very expensive. As Brent said, run the cable through the body with a good rubber grommet, less connections mean less trouble and expense.

Eliminator

jhaynie
May 30th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Don't want to start an argument over wire, but, welding cable is more flexible because the thickness of the strands is less than that of regular battery cable. When the wire gets hot (as it does at the starter by the headers), the resistance of the wire increases more in the smaller wire than the larger thickness wire, or so I've been told.

However[?], If you search the internet, you will find about 1/2 of the "experts" say use only battery cable (for heat reasons), and about half say use Welding cable. So who knows? If you have a hot starting problem maybe try battery cable, or just 2 ga instead of 4 ga.

jhaynie
May 30th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Don't want to start an argument over wire, but, welding cable is more flexible because the thickness of the strands is less than that of regular battery cable. When the wire gets hot (as it does at the starter by the headers), the resistance of the wire increases more in the smaller wire than the larger thickness wire, or so I've been told.

However[?], If you search the internet, you will find about 1/2 of the "experts" say use only battery cable (for heat reasons), and about half say use Welding cable. So who knows? If you have a hot starting problem maybe try battery cable, or just 2 ga instead of 4 ga.

Mike Geddes
June 9th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys
More fuel for the cable fire (no pun intended)
Its all about total cross sectional area.
The welding cable has more fine strands of copper and is therefore more flexible.
However the sum total of all the strand cross sectional areas may not equal that of a battery cable.
The thermal rating of welding cable (insulated jacket.) is not as high as the cross linked polyethylene jacket found on battery cable.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
June 9th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Hi Guys
More fuel for the cable fire (no pun intended)
Its all about total cross sectional area.
The welding cable has more fine strands of copper and is therefore more flexible.
However the sum total of all the strand cross sectional areas may not equal that of a battery cable.
The thermal rating of welding cable (insulated jacket.) is not as high as the cross linked polyethylene jacket found on battery cable.
Mike

Mike Geddes

JerryBP
June 9th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Actually electricity flows on the outside surface of the condutor, that is why they use copper tubing in extremely high current applications and then cool the tubing with water or oil. Jerry

Jerry, 72 Pantera owner and soon to be Unique Cobra Builder

JerryBP
June 9th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Actually electricity flows on the outside surface of the condutor, that is why they use copper tubing in extremely high current applications and then cool the tubing with water or oil. Jerry

Jerry, 72 Pantera owner and soon to be Unique Cobra Builder