PDA

View Full Version : Brake and Clutch lines

Brent
June 6th, 2003, 08:07 AM
My car is at the painter and my mind is going a mile a minute trying to build the car in my head so when I get it back all of the mental R&R is done :D I noticed at SAAC and every Cobra event I have attended protecting the lines from heat is always a topic of conversation. Heat wrap, shields, etc. I had a thought and I want to run it by you for suggestions.
The lines exit the master cylinders on a 45 degree angle towards the rear of the car. I was thinking about running the lines down through the top of the foot box and hugging the front of the footbox behind the pedals. Then over to the tunnel and run them in the corner where the tunnel meets the floor. I could then lay glass over the lines holding them tight in the corner. With the carpet pad under the carpet I think it will be completely smooth. The clutch line would exit the tunnel at the throwout bearing and the rear brake line would run in the factory position. The front brake line would exit the bottom of the footbox and run along the inside of the frame on the bottom. Heat rises so I think this would be the coolest area and I could still put a heat shield on this line if need be. The only visible brake or trans line would be the 3" at the master cylinders.

I would like your opinions. "WE ARE SMARTER THAN ME" [?][?]

Thanks

GeorgiaSnake
June 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM
On my FIA car the line are run down the outside of the footbox in the front. See the picture.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/DSC00302.JPG

After I get the body mounted on the frame I may re-route the lines over the top of the foot box back to the firewall and then down the side.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
June 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM
On my FIA car the line are run down the outside of the footbox in the front. See the picture.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/DSC00302.JPG

After I get the body mounted on the frame I may re-route the lines over the top of the foot box back to the firewall and then down the side.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

brfutbrian
June 7th, 2003, 10:26 AM
brent, i changed out all three brakelines from the master cylinders with stainless line, aeroquip fittings and adaptors. ran the clutch and rear brake lines over the top of the footbox to the corner of the tunnel and clamped them about 3 inches down the tunnel. left some extra line and cut the fittings in. no heat problem and, though it cost a few bucks, it looks great. later, brian

brfutbrian
June 7th, 2003, 10:26 AM
brent, i changed out all three brakelines from the master cylinders with stainless line, aeroquip fittings and adaptors. ran the clutch and rear brake lines over the top of the footbox to the corner of the tunnel and clamped them about 3 inches down the tunnel. left some extra line and cut the fittings in. no heat problem and, though it cost a few bucks, it looks great. later, brian