PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas on Seat Track Mounting

jhaynie
July 14th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I know we are all full of ideas, so pass some on to me. I finally got around to the task of installing adjustable seat tracks in my car last night. I removed the seats and am trying to come up with a good idea.

The tracks will use carriage bolts to mount to the floor pan. I need a way to still elevate the front of the seats without the seat track having to run uphill. The seat studs on the tracks are not long enough to reach through the seat bottom if I elevate the seat, and not the track. Does anyone have a clue as to what I'm talking about, or can at least give some advice, or better yet a picture?

John

brfutbrian
July 15th, 2003, 04:38 AM
john, use longer carriage bolts on the front of the seat. use three nuts on each bolt. one to tighten the bolt to the seat, one to set the height, and one to tighten to the track. use fender washers against the seat and regular flat washers on the track. i dont have tracks in my car. but i used this to raise the front of my seats without using blocks like alot of guys use. it should work just as good with tracks, though you may or may not have to cut off the excess bolt depending on your clearance to your seat track. later, brian

brfutbrian
July 15th, 2003, 04:38 AM
john, use longer carriage bolts on the front of the seat. use three nuts on each bolt. one to tighten the bolt to the seat, one to set the height, and one to tighten to the track. use fender washers against the seat and regular flat washers on the track. i dont have tracks in my car. but i used this to raise the front of my seats without using blocks like alot of guys use. it should work just as good with tracks, though you may or may not have to cut off the excess bolt depending on your clearance to your seat track. later, brian

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Here is the way I did my tracks.

Turn them upside down so the fixed bolts go through the floor. Use carraige bolts to attach 1" wide wood strips to the rail. I tappered the strips from front to rear from 1 1/2" to 3/4" to raise the front. This way the seat angle stays constant for the full travel. Mark and drill four holes in the floor, make sure you have enough distance between the rails to pull the lever. Screw the seat to the wood rails and assemble the seat as per Unique.

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Here is the way I did my tracks.

Turn them upside down so the fixed bolts go through the floor. Use carraige bolts to attach 1" wide wood strips to the rail. I tappered the strips from front to rear from 1 1/2" to 3/4" to raise the front. This way the seat angle stays constant for the full travel. Mark and drill four holes in the floor, make sure you have enough distance between the rails to pull the lever. Screw the seat to the wood rails and assemble the seat as per Unique.

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Pictures will not post for some reason. I can email to anyone that wants to see what I did.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Pictures will not post for some reason. I can email to anyone that wants to see what I did.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pbrown
July 15th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Randy,

I looked at your uploaded images. They have spaces in the file name. Remove the spaces and try posting them again.

--Patrick Brown

pbrown
July 15th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Randy,

I looked at your uploaded images. They have spaces in the file name. Remove the spaces and try posting them again.

--Patrick Brown

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 09:02 PM
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/SeatTrack2.jpg

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/SeatTrack3.jpg

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
July 15th, 2003, 09:02 PM
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/SeatTrack2.jpg

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/georgiasnake/SeatTrack3.jpg

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Mike Geddes
August 11th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Question...
How tall are those seat runners in the photograph on the last posting, and where did you get them
Thanks.....Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
August 11th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Question...
How tall are those seat runners in the photograph on the last posting, and where did you get them
Thanks.....Mike

Mike Geddes

GeorgiaSnake
August 11th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Mike the total thickness of the slider is about an inch. Buy intalling them upside down and using a wedge shaped piece of wood (the piece in the picture is flat) I could get the height I wanted and provide the front to rear rake I wanted. Unique sells the tracks and NAPA has them as well.

Send me an email if you want more details. Mine works great and allows enough adjustment for my wife to drive the car. Good idea if you want to add upgrades in the future and have her blessings.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
August 11th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Mike the total thickness of the slider is about an inch. Buy intalling them upside down and using a wedge shaped piece of wood (the piece in the picture is flat) I could get the height I wanted and provide the front to rear rake I wanted. Unique sells the tracks and NAPA has them as well.

Send me an email if you want more details. Mine works great and allows enough adjustment for my wife to drive the car. Good idea if you want to add upgrades in the future and have her blessings.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Mike Geddes
August 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Oh Yeh
Got to keep Mom happy.
If Mom ain't happy...then nobody is gonna be happy.

PS...I do have a runner on the drivers seat....came from an older Honda Civic....Its also about an inch high.

It's just that the type you have look so much better and easier to operate.

Thanks......Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
August 11th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Oh Yeh
Got to keep Mom happy.
If Mom ain't happy...then nobody is gonna be happy.

PS...I do have a runner on the drivers seat....came from an older Honda Civic....Its also about an inch high.

It's just that the type you have look so much better and easier to operate.

Thanks......Mike

Mike Geddes

jhaynie
August 11th, 2003, 09:55 PM
I got the tracks put in a couple of weeks ago using Randy's design. Worked good. The wedges I used raise the front of the seat almost 1-1/2" so the seat ends up a lot higher than it was with the old fixed mount. But I'm fairly short, so it works out. Alan Weaver is right though, this is a real bitch putting these things in.

John

jhaynie
August 11th, 2003, 09:55 PM
I got the tracks put in a couple of weeks ago using Randy's design. Worked good. The wedges I used raise the front of the seat almost 1-1/2" so the seat ends up a lot higher than it was with the old fixed mount. But I'm fairly short, so it works out. Alan Weaver is right though, this is a real bitch putting these things in.

John

Okiesnake
August 12th, 2003, 11:10 AM
GeorgiaSnake, are these the same seat rails in the following link to NAPA?
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15627936&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=
I was thinking about adding adjustable seat rails so that my daughter can fit better to the car.

Okiesnake
August 12th, 2003, 11:10 AM
GeorgiaSnake, are these the same seat rails in the following link to NAPA?
http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15627936&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=
I was thinking about adding adjustable seat rails so that my daughter can fit better to the car.

jhaynie
August 17th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Those are the seat rails. $17.50!!!!???? I wont even tell you what I paid:(:(

jhaynie
August 17th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Those are the seat rails. $17.50!!!!???? I wont even tell you what I paid:(:(

patrija
August 18th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Randy - Another project for you to help me with :)

patrija
August 18th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Randy - Another project for you to help me with :)

Okiesnake
August 19th, 2003, 08:59 AM
I just ordered a set of rails from NAPA. This may prove to be a mistake though as my daughter will allways be wanting to drive now!:D

Okiesnake
August 19th, 2003, 08:59 AM
I just ordered a set of rails from NAPA. This may prove to be a mistake though as my daughter will allways be wanting to drive now!:D

GeorgiaSnake
September 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Phil this may help.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
September 24th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Phil this may help.

Randy