PDA

View Full Version : bolt for Lakewood shield

casaleenie
July 23rd, 2003, 03:59 AM
Just under the car to cut 3/4 inch off the Lakewood Bellhousing and I noticed a bolt missing. Looking from rear to front lying on my back I see a bolt missing on the top of the Lakewood flange top right.
Looks like it bolted through the Scattershield and into the threaded casting and probably required a lock washer to hold it in place. If it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about it's because I don't know what I'm talking about...
Looking for size, length and hardness # of the bolt...
thanks guys...[:o)]
351 W by Southern Automotive with a Ford toploader...
AL

eliminator
July 23rd, 2003, 11:11 PM
Some of the holes dont have bolts going into the engine block. If you can tell it did have a bolt and the back of the block is threaded then I personally would use a grade 8 bolt and a hard flat washer (grade 8 quality). I would use a little red loctite and torque the bolt, sounds like you may need to tighten and if possible torque all the bolts if one came loose. I dont like lock washers on bolts you torque because you cannot torque a lock washer correctly so use a hard flat washer. The size of the bolt on a FE is 7/16 - 18 I believe, not sure on a Windsor probably the same. These bolts are approximately 1 3/4" long. Put the bolt in without a washer and make sure it screws all the way in without bottoming out. Then if that works put the washer on and threadlock and torque to specs. Go to a local bolt and screw business for your grade 8 bolts and washers, better quality than hardware store stuff generally.

Eliminator

eliminator
July 23rd, 2003, 11:11 PM
Some of the holes dont have bolts going into the engine block. If you can tell it did have a bolt and the back of the block is threaded then I personally would use a grade 8 bolt and a hard flat washer (grade 8 quality). I would use a little red loctite and torque the bolt, sounds like you may need to tighten and if possible torque all the bolts if one came loose. I dont like lock washers on bolts you torque because you cannot torque a lock washer correctly so use a hard flat washer. The size of the bolt on a FE is 7/16 - 18 I believe, not sure on a Windsor probably the same. These bolts are approximately 1 3/4" long. Put the bolt in without a washer and make sure it screws all the way in without bottoming out. Then if that works put the washer on and threadlock and torque to specs. Go to a local bolt and screw business for your grade 8 bolts and washers, better quality than hardware store stuff generally.

Eliminator

casaleenie
July 24th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Eliminator,

Thanks for the information... Dorman also suggested not using a lock washer... and I'll make sure to check all the bolts...

thanks again,

al

AL

casaleenie
July 24th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Eliminator,

Thanks for the information... Dorman also suggested not using a lock washer... and I'll make sure to check all the bolts...

thanks again,

al

AL