PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on Board

Russ Dickey
July 29th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Hello fellow Unique Owners! I'm a newbie to this forum, but have talked with many of you over at clubcobra. I'm a recent owner of a complete Unique 289FIA, and couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. The wife and I have put 600 miles on it in just the three weeks we've owned it, and enjoyed every second of it.

I do have one tech question for you Unique gurus out there. The other night, after returning from a cruise, I noticed that the left front of my car is sitting several inches lower than the right front, and I never noticed this before. I thought that maybe I just need to adjust that left-front Carrera shock a bit.

However, I never heard of a shock just "going out of adjustment" like that, and am more concerned that it might be another suspension piece that I should be investigating. One person suggested that maybe the shock has lost some gas or is leaking, but I can't find any evidence of that. Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks,
Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

weaver
July 29th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Hi Russ, you need to measure at the frame to see how far out it is, the front suspension doesn't have several inches of adjustment so it may not adjust out. Let me know how much lower it is after you measure the frame to the ground on both sides.

Alan

weaver
July 29th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Hi Russ, you need to measure at the frame to see how far out it is, the front suspension doesn't have several inches of adjustment so it may not adjust out. Let me know how much lower it is after you measure the frame to the ground on both sides.

Alan

eliminator
July 29th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Russ,

One thing you will find out that it takes 600 miles for the suspension to settle. Everytime you jack up the front or rear you have to drive at least 30 miles for it to settle back in the natural position. My car has 1100 miles on it, (finished in May) and I am finally getting the shocks and ride height set where I can get my second alignment.Then remember if you adjust the right front it effects the left rear. On the 427 S/C cars prior to the last fiberglass mold adjustment the car can be level from the frame to the ground and the right front fender is 1" to 1 1/2" higher than the left front fender, it's all in the body. Some folks level the car using the fender wells some level the car from the frame to the ground.

Eliminator

eliminator
July 29th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Russ,

One thing you will find out that it takes 600 miles for the suspension to settle. Everytime you jack up the front or rear you have to drive at least 30 miles for it to settle back in the natural position. My car has 1100 miles on it, (finished in May) and I am finally getting the shocks and ride height set where I can get my second alignment.Then remember if you adjust the right front it effects the left rear. On the 427 S/C cars prior to the last fiberglass mold adjustment the car can be level from the frame to the ground and the right front fender is 1" to 1 1/2" higher than the left front fender, it's all in the body. Some folks level the car using the fender wells some level the car from the frame to the ground.

Eliminator

GeorgiaSnake
July 30th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Russ
Eliminator is right. I leveled mine at the frame as I was more concerned with handling and I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the wheel arches. I did take a little of the body twist out in the prep stage and a little more when I re-mounted the body. I think mine looks fine and I'm still experimenting to find the handling I want.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
July 30th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Russ
Eliminator is right. I leveled mine at the frame as I was more concerned with handling and I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the wheel arches. I did take a little of the body twist out in the prep stage and a little more when I re-mounted the body. I think mine looks fine and I'm still experimenting to find the handling I want.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

K.Wilson
July 31st, 2003, 01:21 AM
Russ,
I agree with the input you have so far. You need to set the ride height from the frame to a level floor first. I did mine with an "outside" caliper and a good steel scale. Bounce the car after each adjustment to let it find it's own height. If you do this correctly, within 1/16 inch, you will be surprised at how accurately the weight will be balanced when you get on the scales (I was within 20 lbs. on the front and 45 lbs. in the rear of equal side to side weight distribution.
The wheel wells were another story. When my frame was level side to side the right front wheel well lip was over an inch lower than the left. I ended up lowering the left and raising the right to get them to measure the same. I just drilled new holes in the body at both the forward frame mounts and put large washers on the body side to help distribute the load.
Keith

K.Wilson
July 31st, 2003, 01:21 AM
Russ,
I agree with the input you have so far. You need to set the ride height from the frame to a level floor first. I did mine with an "outside" caliper and a good steel scale. Bounce the car after each adjustment to let it find it's own height. If you do this correctly, within 1/16 inch, you will be surprised at how accurately the weight will be balanced when you get on the scales (I was within 20 lbs. on the front and 45 lbs. in the rear of equal side to side weight distribution.
The wheel wells were another story. When my frame was level side to side the right front wheel well lip was over an inch lower than the left. I ended up lowering the left and raising the right to get them to measure the same. I just drilled new holes in the body at both the forward frame mounts and put large washers on the body side to help distribute the load.
Keith

Russ Dickey
July 31st, 2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys. I bought my car with 2900 miles on it, and have put about another 500-600 since we got it, so hopefully the suspension has had time to settle. I haven't had a need to jack the car up yet, so I don't think that's the problem.

I did some impromptu measurements last night, and I found that the frame (front and rear) appears to be fine, but the left side of the body sits about 1.5" lower than the right side. It's barely noticable until you look at the distance between the tops of the tires and the wheel wells, when compared to the right side of the car. It's real obvious on the front tire. Something else that I've noticed is that the bottom of the left sidepipe will slightly drag if I go over a big speedbump, or pull into a driveway with a big curb, but the right side is fine.

I haven't done all the exact measurments, but I will over the weekend and post my results. I'll also take some digital pics of each side of the car, and post those for your analysis. What really bugs me is that when I look at the pictures of the car before I bought it, the left side wasn't sagging, but now it is. Could something have happened in transport to the springs that would have caused this???

The car handles so good now and drives so straight that I just hate to go in there and start messing with the setup, but I just can't handle the sag...

Russ

Russ Dickey
July 31st, 2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all the good info guys. I bought my car with 2900 miles on it, and have put about another 500-600 since we got it, so hopefully the suspension has had time to settle. I haven't had a need to jack the car up yet, so I don't think that's the problem.

I did some impromptu measurements last night, and I found that the frame (front and rear) appears to be fine, but the left side of the body sits about 1.5" lower than the right side. It's barely noticable until you look at the distance between the tops of the tires and the wheel wells, when compared to the right side of the car. It's real obvious on the front tire. Something else that I've noticed is that the bottom of the left sidepipe will slightly drag if I go over a big speedbump, or pull into a driveway with a big curb, but the right side is fine.

I haven't done all the exact measurments, but I will over the weekend and post my results. I'll also take some digital pics of each side of the car, and post those for your analysis. What really bugs me is that when I look at the pictures of the car before I bought it, the left side wasn't sagging, but now it is. Could something have happened in transport to the springs that would have caused this???

The car handles so good now and drives so straight that I just hate to go in there and start messing with the setup, but I just can't handle the sag...

Russ

WBofTN
July 31st, 2003, 02:44 AM
Russ:
I just found this site through a cobraclub posting. Did you read my reply a/b a bad spring? I'm having the
same issue as you. I can level the car (chasis not the body) then drive the car and boom - the car is sitting
lower again on one side.
Carrera sent me a new spring free of charge earlier this week. I have installed it, but i have not been able to test drive the car yet.
Hopefully this weekend i will get a chance.
I will let you know the outcome.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
July 31st, 2003, 02:44 AM
Russ:
I just found this site through a cobraclub posting. Did you read my reply a/b a bad spring? I'm having the
same issue as you. I can level the car (chasis not the body) then drive the car and boom - the car is sitting
lower again on one side.
Carrera sent me a new spring free of charge earlier this week. I have installed it, but i have not been able to test drive the car yet.
Hopefully this weekend i will get a chance.
I will let you know the outcome.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Russ Dickey
July 31st, 2003, 05:36 AM
WB:
I did see your reply on the other forum, but forgot to respond (plus I've forgotten to go check it in awhile). Sorry about that. I am anxious to hear if your new spring works!

Russ Dickey
July 31st, 2003, 05:36 AM
WB:
I did see your reply on the other forum, but forgot to respond (plus I've forgotten to go check it in awhile). Sorry about that. I am anxious to hear if your new spring works!

rdorman
August 3rd, 2003, 11:30 PM
I am not sure if this is still true or if it ever was for the FIA but on my roadster the left side is lower than the right. The mold for the bodies was taken from an original. The originals being made by hand where not uniform. On my car, this is most apparent from the rear.

Stick with adjusting the ride height at the frame on a level surface. If you have access to scales you could jack some weight to the right since with a driver only they tend to be heavy on the left anyways.

Enjoy

Rick

rdorman
August 3rd, 2003, 11:30 PM
I am not sure if this is still true or if it ever was for the FIA but on my roadster the left side is lower than the right. The mold for the bodies was taken from an original. The originals being made by hand where not uniform. On my car, this is most apparent from the rear.

Stick with adjusting the ride height at the frame on a level surface. If you have access to scales you could jack some weight to the right since with a driver only they tend to be heavy on the left anyways.

Enjoy

Rick

WBofTN
August 4th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Russ:
The new spring from Carrera seems to be holding its
position now. I put a few miles on the car this weekend.
and car is sitting where it should be.
Rick:
The left rear is lower on my car (427) also. I assumed
it was b/c I have large marine battery sitting in that
rear left fender. Years ago, I recall you could bye
sring spacers at autozone. I have not been able to find
any here. Spacers might be an easy fix to level out the
car.
Any imput??
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
August 4th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Russ:
The new spring from Carrera seems to be holding its
position now. I put a few miles on the car this weekend.
and car is sitting where it should be.
Rick:
The left rear is lower on my car (427) also. I assumed
it was b/c I have large marine battery sitting in that
rear left fender. Years ago, I recall you could bye
sring spacers at autozone. I have not been able to find
any here. Spacers might be an easy fix to level out the
car.
Any imput??
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

rdorman
August 4th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Is it that the left rear is sitting lower or the body is lower? On mine it is the body (at least until I squeeze my a$$ into it!).

Spacers. I would not use the type of spacers that go between the coils. The type that fit between the spring and the perch would work fine if you do not have the adjustable shocks. Lots of work but getting your corner weigths right does make a difference you can feel if they are off by much.

Rick

rdorman
August 4th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Is it that the left rear is sitting lower or the body is lower? On mine it is the body (at least until I squeeze my a$$ into it!).

Spacers. I would not use the type of spacers that go between the coils. The type that fit between the spring and the perch would work fine if you do not have the adjustable shocks. Lots of work but getting your corner weigths right does make a difference you can feel if they are off by much.

Rick

leejleej
August 4th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Would love to see some pictures.

If you have the time... please post, or forward to jong@tpsassocinc.com

cheers,
jong

Jong

leejleej
August 4th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Would love to see some pictures.

If you have the time... please post, or forward to jong@tpsassocinc.com