PDA

View Full Version : VIN stamped?

dmiller
August 4th, 2003, 03:02 AM
is the vin stamped on the chasis? if so, where?
thanks

doug

rdorman
August 4th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Mine is on top of the frame rail just inboard of the drivers side suspension. It is a four digit number. That is the chassis number. On my title the chassis number had additional charactors added to it by the BMV and that is NO where on the vehicle. So I have no idea what they do from a state perspective!
Rick

rdorman
August 4th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Mine is on top of the frame rail just inboard of the drivers side suspension. It is a four digit number. That is the chassis number. On my title the chassis number had additional charactors added to it by the BMV and that is NO where on the vehicle. So I have no idea what they do from a state perspective!
Rick

eliminator
August 4th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Doug,

The VIN number is on the frame but most or all States want the Unique Vin no. on the data plate attached before they will register the vehicle. I placed mine on the firewall around the throttle linkage area. I had a big fight with the KY folks about this issue.

Eliminator

eliminator
August 4th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Doug,

The VIN number is on the frame but most or all States want the Unique Vin no. on the data plate attached before they will register the vehicle. I placed mine on the firewall around the throttle linkage area. I had a big fight with the KY folks about this issue.

Eliminator

dmiller
August 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM
still haven't found it,
on top of frame rail just inside the front suspension, is this the rail that goes front to back, or the rail that crosses to the passenger side?

by rail, refering to the 2 x 4 square tubing?

thanks in advance

doug

dmiller
August 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM
still haven't found it,
on top of frame rail just inside the front suspension, is this the rail that goes front to back, or the rail that crosses to the passenger side?

by rail, refering to the 2 x 4 square tubing?

thanks in advance

doug

dmiller
August 4th, 2003, 09:00 PM
nevermind, found it, right were you said it was.

thanks

dmiller
August 4th, 2003, 09:00 PM
nevermind, found it, right were you said it was.

thanks

Mike Geddes
August 5th, 2003, 01:33 AM
When I got my 427 , the Weavers gave me a little stamped tag with the frame # on it.
But here in Ontario, Canada, the Ministry of Transport Ontario (MTO)
don't consider any of that good stuff.
Once the kit is built and passes a safety check (Mandated by the Province), the MTO gives the car a whole new VIN # which always starts with RBLT....Meaning REBUILT.....I got to choose just the last 3 numbers of the full VIN #......The frame # and whatever else was supplied by the Kit Vendor is totally academic.
The good thing about 'Kits' in Canada is that they are Totally exempt from any form of Emmissions testing. (presently in Ontario, all cars must pass the emmissions test every 2 years.)
The VIN # does not have to be displayed in a visible location on kit cars in Canada....in fact the only place I have my VIN # is on my registration slip, and insurance certificate.
MIKE

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
August 5th, 2003, 01:33 AM
When I got my 427 , the Weavers gave me a little stamped tag with the frame # on it.
But here in Ontario, Canada, the Ministry of Transport Ontario (MTO)
don't consider any of that good stuff.
Once the kit is built and passes a safety check (Mandated by the Province), the MTO gives the car a whole new VIN # which always starts with RBLT....Meaning REBUILT.....I got to choose just the last 3 numbers of the full VIN #......The frame # and whatever else was supplied by the Kit Vendor is totally academic.
The good thing about 'Kits' in Canada is that they are Totally exempt from any form of Emmissions testing. (presently in Ontario, all cars must pass the emmissions test every 2 years.)
The VIN # does not have to be displayed in a visible location on kit cars in Canada....in fact the only place I have my VIN # is on my registration slip, and insurance certificate.
MIKE

Mike Geddes