PDA

View Full Version : another take on hose splices

dmiller
August 20th, 2003, 09:15 PM
i;ve applied the weld beads to the exhaust pipe couplings as suggested here but have had thoughts on two other possible solutions to the problem of the hoses slipping off.

one could safety wire the two adjacent hose clamps to each other, which would keep the hoses in place, i think.

one could drill and pop rivet 4 to 8 places around the circumferance of the exhaust pipe, each end, which would serve as an upset to prevent the clamp from sliding off, i think.

doug

eliminator
August 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Doug,

On the welding issue, it works, takes a good welder and helper to rotate the piece to get a nice bead, or weld it in a lath at slow speed. I personally double clamped mine and it works just fine, looks good also. My metal pipes are ceramic coated with no leaks.

Eliminator

eliminator
August 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Doug,

On the welding issue, it works, takes a good welder and helper to rotate the piece to get a nice bead, or weld it in a lath at slow speed. I personally double clamped mine and it works just fine, looks good also. My metal pipes are ceramic coated with no leaks.

Eliminator

Mike Geddes
August 21st, 2003, 01:18 AM
Well...I don't know why....but my hoses have stayed on for 12 years on a straight pipe with 1 clamp....Luck.?
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
August 21st, 2003, 01:18 AM
Well...I don't know why....but my hoses have stayed on for 12 years on a straight pipe with 1 clamp....Luck.?
Mike

Mike Geddes

dmiller
August 21st, 2003, 01:39 AM
those canadians are like that, the weather is so cold up there that mike doesn't use coolant, just cold air.

dmiller
August 21st, 2003, 01:39 AM
those canadians are like that, the weather is so cold up there that mike doesn't use coolant, just cold air.

K.Wilson
August 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM
I took the tubes I made to a sheet metal shop that had a Bead Roller (a piece of equipment that roll forms a bead on sheetmetal for strength). The tube will fit over the rolling bead forming head and with a few turns of the crank you will have a perfect bead on the tube that the hose and clamp will grip.
Keith

Keith

K.Wilson
August 27th, 2003, 12:48 AM
I took the tubes I made to a sheet metal shop that had a Bead Roller (a piece of equipment that roll forms a bead on sheetmetal for strength). The tube will fit over the rolling bead forming head and with a few turns of the crank you will have a perfect bead on the tube that the hose and clamp will grip.
Keith

Keith