PDA

View Full Version : insulation wrap on headers

dmiller
September 15th, 2003, 09:54 AM
i just finished doing the insulation of my headers. i haven't seen or heard any discussion of this. my thinking, will get the heat out of the engine compartment. advertisement says it removes "up to" 70% of heat from under hood. and even makes it possible for blue cars to go faster than red ones.

pgermond
September 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM
I was under the impression blue cars DO go faster than red ones![^][^]

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
September 15th, 2003, 12:57 PM
I was under the impression blue cars DO go faster than red ones![^][^]

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
September 19th, 2003, 11:22 PM
They do reduce the heat a bunch, however, I could never get a set of pipes to last longer than a couple of years due to rust. Hope you have better luck.

Brent

ps. Why do you think they came out with the steel hoop on the front of the 427 SC???? So the red ones could push the blue ones.

JUST KIDDING....Love'em all

Brent
September 19th, 2003, 11:22 PM
They do reduce the heat a bunch, however, I could never get a set of pipes to last longer than a couple of years due to rust. Hope you have better luck.

Brent

ps. Why do you think they came out with the steel hoop on the front of the 427 SC???? So the red ones could push the blue ones.

JUST KIDDING....Love'em all

dmiller
September 19th, 2003, 11:37 PM
that's something to worry about, didn't think of that. but, my headers are ceramic coated, something i decided to do when i had the side pipes coated. maybe that will help/ thanks for response.
doug

dmiller
September 19th, 2003, 11:37 PM
that's something to worry about, didn't think of that. but, my headers are ceramic coated, something i decided to do when i had the side pipes coated. maybe that will help/ thanks for response.
doug

pseim
September 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM
I talked to the guy at Hot shot here in FL. He does ceramic coating so is somewhat biased. He said that without ceramic coating the headers will rust out quickly if they're wrapped.
I wrapped mine anyway - see what happens

Paul

pseim
September 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM
I talked to the guy at Hot shot here in FL. He does ceramic coating so is somewhat biased. He said that without ceramic coating the headers will rust out quickly if they're wrapped.
I wrapped mine anyway - see what happens

Paul

Okiesnake
September 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
EVERYONE that I have ever heard of wishes they had NOT used the isulating wrap. They ALWAYS rust out the headers, ceramic coated or not. Ceramic coating in itself does a pretty good job of heat disapation. I personally recomend spending the time and money on the Aluminum Foot Box Heat Shields and using the 2 kits of the Thermotech Insulation to line the entire interior tunel - floor and footboxes before carpeting. There are no heat issue if you do this. Also use a little of the Thermotech Insulation to make pocket to seal up the shifter hole before putting on the shifter boot.

Okiesnake
September 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
EVERYONE that I have ever heard of wishes they had NOT used the isulating wrap. They ALWAYS rust out the headers, ceramic coated or not. Ceramic coating in itself does a pretty good job of heat disapation. I personally recomend spending the time and money on the Aluminum Foot Box Heat Shields and using the 2 kits of the Thermotech Insulation to line the entire interior tunel - floor and footboxes before carpeting. There are no heat issue if you do this. Also use a little of the Thermotech Insulation to make pocket to seal up the shifter hole before putting on the shifter boot.

weaver
September 21st, 2003, 10:42 PM
We do not recommend using header wrap, we have sold several sets of headers to customers who have used it, it will rust even if they are coated. You need to have a fan blowing on the headers the first time you start the car so the heat won't discolor the coating,you can't do this if they are wraped.

Alan

weaver
September 21st, 2003, 10:42 PM
We do not recommend using header wrap, we have sold several sets of headers to customers who have used it, it will rust even if they are coated. You need to have a fan blowing on the headers the first time you start the car so the heat won't discolor the coating,you can't do this if they are wraped.

Alan

rdorman
September 21st, 2003, 11:44 PM
I would suggest taking the rap off.
Rick

rdorman
September 21st, 2003, 11:44 PM
I would suggest taking the rap off.
Rick

GeorgiaSnake
September 23rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
I would take the wrap off as well. I used flat black barbque grill paint I bought at Home Depot. 700 plus mile and no problem, they look just like they did when I installed them (except where chill spilled brake fluid on the collect) easy touch up this winter . Total cost - less than $12.No significant heat problems in the footboxes to date. I used the aluminum heat shields and put the insulation under the carpet.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
September 23rd, 2003, 11:25 AM
I would take the wrap off as well. I used flat black barbque grill paint I bought at Home Depot. 700 plus mile and no problem, they look just like they did when I installed them (except where chill spilled brake fluid on the collect) easy touch up this winter . Total cost - less than $12.No significant heat problems in the footboxes to date. I used the aluminum heat shields and put the insulation under the carpet.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver