PDA

View Full Version : Carrera's

pgermond
October 6th, 2003, 11:49 AM
This question has probably been asked and answered a gizzilion times, but I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for, so here it goes............ where do you set your adjustable Carrera's?

Singles in the front (I've got a big block up there with them), and doubles in the rear. 245X60X15 (F), and 295X50X15 (R)

This has to be an matter of personal preference, I'm sure, but I would like to have a starting point so as not to wear out the floor jack [xx(]. Thanks for any assistance/feedback you can provide to get me started.

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
October 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Unique usually sets them in the middle position. If you are going to hit the track a stiff setting may be better, if your daily driver is a Caddy, mabye a soft setting is what you would like. Or you can always pick medium and go for it. I have tried both and I prefer the ride of medium or soft setting on the rear. 99.99% of my driving will NOT be on the track.I can't help but think a 2400 LB car with a 52-48% weight dist with quad shocks on the rear would need a stiff setting. I would like to hear what everyone is using on theirs

Brent
October 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Unique usually sets them in the middle position. If you are going to hit the track a stiff setting may be better, if your daily driver is a Caddy, mabye a soft setting is what you would like. Or you can always pick medium and go for it. I have tried both and I prefer the ride of medium or soft setting on the rear. 99.99% of my driving will NOT be on the track.I can't help but think a 2400 LB car with a 52-48% weight dist with quad shocks on the rear would need a stiff setting. I would like to hear what everyone is using on theirs

eliminator
October 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Phil,

My car is a big block 427 and I set my front and rear carerra's on the stiff setting and I am very pleased with the ride. I havn't done any track events and don't find the ride harsh. There is one difference, when my car was being built at Unique they ran out of the steel body carerra's and they sent Unique a aluminum body racing shock that was an upgrade. They have three settings but adjust a little different so I dont know if were talking apples to apples. Mine hooks up great in the rear, no squatting, just goes with minimum wheel spin. The spring weight and setting on the ride height will have an effect on the ride and handling.
Eliminator

eliminator
October 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Phil,

My car is a big block 427 and I set my front and rear carerra's on the stiff setting and I am very pleased with the ride. I havn't done any track events and don't find the ride harsh. There is one difference, when my car was being built at Unique they ran out of the steel body carerra's and they sent Unique a aluminum body racing shock that was an upgrade. They have three settings but adjust a little different so I dont know if were talking apples to apples. Mine hooks up great in the rear, no squatting, just goes with minimum wheel spin. The spring weight and setting on the ride height will have an effect on the ride and handling.
Eliminator

eliminator
October 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Phil,

One other thought, my wife is with me in the car 80% of the time and on a car this light the passenger makes a difference. So there are several factors to consider when setting up the suspension.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Phil,

One other thought, my wife is with me in the car 80% of the time and on a car this light the passenger makes a difference. So there are several factors to consider when setting up the suspension.

Eliminator

pgermond
October 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but I found this searching the web -

http://www.carreracustomproducts.com/CoilOverKitPage.htm

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
October 7th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I don't know if this will be of any use to anyone, but I found this searching the web -

http://www.carreracustomproducts.com/CoilOverKitPage.htm

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
October 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Alan,

Can you give us the series of Carerra shocks on the cars, front and back. Also the length of the shocks, eye to eye and the length of the Springs. What are spring rates for the 427 S/C and FIA cars front and rear that are standard. This would help to understand what we have.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Alan,

Can you give us the series of Carerra shocks on the cars, front and back. Also the length of the shocks, eye to eye and the length of the Springs. What are spring rates for the 427 S/C and FIA cars front and rear that are standard. This would help to understand what we have.

Eliminator

pseim
October 8th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Phil,
I checked out the site you referred to and then checked out my shocks. There is no jam nut to lock the adjustment in place. Or is there some other way to lock them?
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/frontshock.jpg

Paul

pseim
October 8th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Phil,
I checked out the site you referred to and then checked out my shocks. There is no jam nut to lock the adjustment in place. Or is there some other way to lock them?
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/frontshock.jpg

Paul

weaver
October 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I am about to leave for Gulf shores so I will try and get the info you asked for when I return. If anyone needs me over the next few days I will be at Bayside Grill.

Alan

weaver
October 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM
I am about to leave for Gulf shores so I will try and get the info you asked for when I return. If anyone needs me over the next few days I will be at Bayside Grill.

Alan

pgermond
October 8th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Paul,

That is a very god question - mine is identical to yours. Guess we'll have to wait and see what Alan has to say when he returns.

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
October 8th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Paul,

That is a very god question - mine is identical to yours. Guess we'll have to wait and see what Alan has to say when he returns.

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
October 8th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Here's another link to the Carrera site that explains step-by-step shock adjustment. http://carrerashocks.com/PDF%20Catalogs/Adjustment%20Instructions.pdf

Paul - I'm quessing the spring tension holds the adjustment ring in place. Like I said, I'm just guessing at this point 'cause my cars not on the road yet:(

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
October 8th, 2003, 11:12 PM
Here's another link to the Carrera site that explains step-by-step shock adjustment. http://carrerashocks.com/PDF%20Catalogs/Adjustment%20Instructions.pdf

Paul - I'm quessing the spring tension holds the adjustment ring in place. Like I said, I'm just guessing at this point 'cause my cars not on the road yet:(

Phil

427 Roadster
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
October 9th, 2003, 02:52 AM
You guy's are correct, there is not a locking ring, the spring pressure keeps the nut in place. Havn't experienced mine moving, I painted the drilled indentions in mine black at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, then red at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock so I could index them without losing my place.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 9th, 2003, 02:52 AM
You guy's are correct, there is not a locking ring, the spring pressure keeps the nut in place. Havn't experienced mine moving, I painted the drilled indentions in mine black at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, then red at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock so I could index them without losing my place.

Eliminator

ToyCollector
October 10th, 2003, 12:38 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Dick Anderson at a donuts derelict event several weeks ago. He is CEO of Carrera Shocks as some of you know. A very nice man and VERY active in the car hobby. His collection is around 30 cars. Mostly Packards, Studebakers, and what he calls "orphan" cars, and some musclecar stuff. They are housed in a garage he has, I forgot the dimensions but it was something like 80x300. We were chatting about upkeep, and this is how sick this can get. He actually calculated it was cheaper to buy batteries by the pallet load for all his stuff annually in lieue of paying for the electricity to buy and support 30 trickle chargers. A whole 'nother world out there.

ToyCollector
October 10th, 2003, 12:38 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Dick Anderson at a donuts derelict event several weeks ago. He is CEO of Carrera Shocks as some of you know. A very nice man and VERY active in the car hobby. His collection is around 30 cars. Mostly Packards, Studebakers, and what he calls "orphan" cars, and some musclecar stuff. They are housed in a garage he has, I forgot the dimensions but it was something like 80x300. We were chatting about upkeep, and this is how sick this can get. He actually calculated it was cheaper to buy batteries by the pallet load for all his stuff annually in lieue of paying for the electricity to buy and support 30 trickle chargers. A whole 'nother world out there.

Copper01
January 24th, 2004, 09:04 AM
quote:Alan,

Eliminator

Was there ever an answer posted for this?

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

brfutbrian
January 24th, 2004, 11:41 AM
ben, i dont think there is any one answer to the question, other than adjust the shocks and find out what settings you like, based on your needs. i run mine on the middle setting, at as low a height as i can get away with on all for corners with 3 3/4" of ground clearance on my scattershield. later, brian

cobracobra
April 4th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I know this is an older post...but im in the process of increasing my ride height to go through inspection (4" min.) Almost looks like a tool (and no, i dont mean a pipe wrench) would lock onto the indentations on the nut to turn and adjust it. Let me know.........

-Mike

ps. alignment shop next week (yes Brian, it's almost done)