PDA

View Full Version : front steering

pseim
October 11th, 2003, 04:12 AM
I'm in the process of putting the car back together after painting. I installed the steering, gave the steering wheel a spin (with the front end on jack stands and wheels removed) and noticed a clicking sound as I turned to the right. Got the boss out there to turn the wheel so I could go and take a look and found as shown in the pictures below.
I cannot turn fully to the right because (unfortunately I don't know the correct nomenclature for all the parts) the horizontal steering arm runs into the vertical adjustable member. http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/rtfrontsusp1.jpg

I took a picture of the drivers side for comparison and there's about an inch of clearance on that side.http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/ltfrontsusp.jpg
What's happened here?

Paul

Brent
October 11th, 2003, 04:30 AM
I assume "front end on jacks" means the frame is on the stands with the front suspension hanging down. My car does the same thing and so does Eliminator's car. When the suspension is hanging all the way down the adjustable link on the front sway bar hits the tie rod end on the rack and pinion. When the front suspension is in the "ride height" position the sway bar will move toward the rear of the car and give plenty of clearence. I don't think you will have a problem unless you can pull wheel stands off the starting line. (-:

Brent

Brent
October 11th, 2003, 04:30 AM
I assume "front end on jacks" means the frame is on the stands with the front suspension hanging down. My car does the same thing and so does Eliminator's car. When the suspension is hanging all the way down the adjustable link on the front sway bar hits the tie rod end on the rack and pinion. When the front suspension is in the "ride height" position the sway bar will move toward the rear of the car and give plenty of clearence. I don't think you will have a problem unless you can pull wheel stands off the starting line. (-:

Brent

pseim
October 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
thanks Brent - I put the car down off the jack stands and like magic, it works. No more driving with the car up on the stands...

Paul

pseim
October 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
thanks Brent - I put the car down off the jack stands and like magic, it works. No more driving with the car up on the stands...

Paul