PDA

View Full Version : Trailing arm front mount

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 05:54 AM
The spherical ends in my rear end where all shot. When I went to replace them I knowticed that the front trailing arm end, where it mounts to the frame, was mounted to a bolt where there was a bit of clearence on both sides between the rod end and the tangs that it bolts to. On each side of the rod end, on the bolt, there was what looked like fuel hose taking up the extra space.

The question is, should this rod end be allowed to slide on the bolt or should there be rigid spacers on each side of the rod end?

Thanks

Rick

Poorboy
October 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM
There should be steel spacers to take up the slack. You should upgrade to the rear trailing arms.

Poorboy

Poorboy
October 15th, 2003, 01:55 PM
There should be steel spacers to take up the slack. You should upgrade to the rear trailing arms.

Poorboy

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks! Please see the fuel cell post regarding more question about the trailing arms.
Rick

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks! Please see the fuel cell post regarding more question about the trailing arms.
Rick

GeorgiaSnake
October 16th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Poorboy are the rear trailing arms to limit forward travel only or can they be used to adjust rear toe?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
October 16th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Poorboy are the rear trailing arms to limit forward travel only or can they be used to adjust rear toe?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Poorboy
October 16th, 2003, 10:25 PM
They are to limit forward travel and adjustable to make sure the wheel base is the same on both sides and free up the travel of the suspension. The only way I think you might be able to adjust rear toe would be to put shims between the center section and the bracket that holds the lower arm.

Poorboy

Poorboy
October 16th, 2003, 10:25 PM
They are to limit forward travel and adjustable to make sure the wheel base is the same on both sides and free up the travel of the suspension. The only way I think you might be able to adjust rear toe would be to put shims between the center section and the bracket that holds the lower arm.

Poorboy

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM
If I am not mistaken they way that poorboy describes is the correct way to set the toe. If you attempted to set the toe with only the trailing arms then what you would be doing is setting toe unsing the compliance of the rubber bushings at the inboard lower A arm mount. This could lead to suspension bind and undue stress and I could see how this sort of adjustment may have contributed to the failure experienced by Casaleenie. I beleive that these trailing arms should be disconnected for alignment and and reattached so there is no preload at ride hieght.

Question is, I want to replace the lower rubber bushings with solid ones. With the rearward facing trailing arms, will the suspension freely go through its travel?

Rick

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM
If I am not mistaken they way that poorboy describes is the correct way to set the toe. If you attempted to set the toe with only the trailing arms then what you would be doing is setting toe unsing the compliance of the rubber bushings at the inboard lower A arm mount. This could lead to suspension bind and undue stress and I could see how this sort of adjustment may have contributed to the failure experienced by Casaleenie. I beleive that these trailing arms should be disconnected for alignment and and reattached so there is no preload at ride hieght.

Question is, I want to replace the lower rubber bushings with solid ones. With the rearward facing trailing arms, will the suspension freely go through its travel?

Rick