PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 05:58 AM
I have an older Unique, chassis 9006. The question is in regards to the fuel cell. Since the thing is all carpeted over, I can not tell the manufacturer nor part/model number on the cell.

Question is, who made it, does it have a bladder, is it foam filled, can I replace the bladder and foam and where can I get it, does all the inlets/outlets have check valve on them?

For for the bonus round, has anyone lowered the cell in the frame to pick up some more trunk space, but not so low you see it hanging under the rear bodywork?

Thanks

Rick

Brent
October 15th, 2003, 07:59 AM
I will guess the manufacturer is Unique.

Does it have a bladder...no
Is it foam filled...no
Check valve on inlet or outlet...no

A true "fuel cell" with a bladder would be an impprovement.If you find an aftermarket piece that fits please let us know.

Thanks
Brent

Brent
October 15th, 2003, 07:59 AM
I will guess the manufacturer is Unique.

Does it have a bladder...no
Is it foam filled...no
Check valve on inlet or outlet...no

A true "fuel cell" with a bladder would be an impprovement.If you find an aftermarket piece that fits please let us know.

Thanks
Brent

Poorboy
October 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Unique has the fuel tanks made, they are aluminum, no bladder, no check-valve. A check-valve in the inlet could be added. I think a fuel cell would be a waste of money. The way the frame goes around tank protects it. If you crash hard enough to rupture the tank I think you would be beyond being hurt by a fire. You can not lower the tank because the trailing arms and center section rear brace is under it. Do you realy want the tank closer to the ground?

Poorboy

Poorboy
October 15th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Unique has the fuel tanks made, they are aluminum, no bladder, no check-valve. A check-valve in the inlet could be added. I think a fuel cell would be a waste of money. The way the frame goes around tank protects it. If you crash hard enough to rupture the tank I think you would be beyond being hurt by a fire. You can not lower the tank because the trailing arms and center section rear brace is under it. Do you realy want the tank closer to the ground?

Poorboy

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Changing the 'tank' is something I have been concidering. Especially now I know it is nothing but a tank! If I come up with some ideas, I will let every one know.

On another subject. My car is of an age where there are NO rearward center section support nor trailing arms. My trailing arms run forward. Could someone PLEASE post or lead me to some detailed pictures of this and I will add them to me 'to do' list!

Thanks

Rick

rdorman
October 15th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Changing the 'tank' is something I have been concidering. Especially now I know it is nothing but a tank! If I come up with some ideas, I will let every one know.

On another subject. My car is of an age where there are NO rearward center section support nor trailing arms. My trailing arms run forward. Could someone PLEASE post or lead me to some detailed pictures of this and I will add them to me 'to do' list!

Thanks

Rick

Mike Geddes
October 16th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Rick
Your Cobra is 1 year older than mine....I'm 9139.
As noted...your tank is aluminum....built by Unique....but it does contain baffles....You will also have the little overflow vent pipe that discharges to grade.
Also...I do not have the rear links...but never really felt the need for them.....so they are not on my 'to do' list.
The one thing I really feel I have to do something about is changing out those useless tin screw caps on the master brake cylinders.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
October 16th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Rick
Your Cobra is 1 year older than mine....I'm 9139.
As noted...your tank is aluminum....built by Unique....but it does contain baffles....You will also have the little overflow vent pipe that discharges to grade.
Also...I do not have the rear links...but never really felt the need for them.....so they are not on my 'to do' list.
The one thing I really feel I have to do something about is changing out those useless tin screw caps on the master brake cylinders.
Mike

Mike Geddes

rdorman
October 16th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Fuel cell surgery forthcoming! I wonder if I can make the changes to the tank to get it where I want it? I know I can order bladders, foam blocks etc but if the tank is all welded (top does not come off), I would not be able to all that stuff in there.

I do know that there is a place that you can send your tank to and they will foam fill it.

Tin screw caps? You have remote resevoirs? My Girling master cylinders are the integral type. Who makes yours and I will see if I can be of assistance.
Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 16th, 2003, 02:16 AM
Fuel cell surgery forthcoming! I wonder if I can make the changes to the tank to get it where I want it? I know I can order bladders, foam blocks etc but if the tank is all welded (top does not come off), I would not be able to all that stuff in there.

I do know that there is a place that you can send your tank to and they will foam fill it.

Tin screw caps? You have remote resevoirs? My Girling master cylinders are the integral type. Who makes yours and I will see if I can be of assistance.
Thanks
Rick

Poorboy
October 16th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Rick,
You can order all the parts you need for the rear trailing arm setup from Unique. I'm sure they would send you enough pictures so you could install them. They have just completed a car with a fuel cell, I think the owner said is was around $1600. To be installed correctly it has to be in a metal shell, with 1/2"X1/2" steel tubing cage around it.

Poorboy

Poorboy
October 16th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Rick,
You can order all the parts you need for the rear trailing arm setup from Unique. I'm sure they would send you enough pictures so you could install them. They have just completed a car with a fuel cell, I think the owner said is was around $1600. To be installed correctly it has to be in a metal shell, with 1/2"X1/2" steel tubing cage around it.

Poorboy

rdorman
October 16th, 2003, 05:55 AM
So how about it there Weavers? How much for the center section support and the rearward trailing arms? Interested in hearing about your center section plate as well!
Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 16th, 2003, 05:55 AM
So how about it there Weavers? How much for the center section support and the rearward trailing arms? Interested in hearing about your center section plate as well!
Thanks
Rick

pseim
October 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Rick,
I did consider having a new fuel tank built. My plan was to cut out the fiberglass bottom of the trunk, build a 7x20x30 tank that would fit above the trailing arms and support, then replace the fiberglass bottom of the trunk above the tank. It would have lowered the top about 3 inches and would have had about 18 gallon capacity. Cost estimated by local fuel tank builder - about $350. The wife convinced me to look at other things I needed for the car...
Attached is picture of rear suspension in later Uniques
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/irs2.jpg

Paul

pseim
October 19th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Rick,
I did consider having a new fuel tank built. My plan was to cut out the fiberglass bottom of the trunk, build a 7x20x30 tank that would fit above the trailing arms and support, then replace the fiberglass bottom of the trunk above the tank. It would have lowered the top about 3 inches and would have had about 18 gallon capacity. Cost estimated by local fuel tank builder - about $350. The wife convinced me to look at other things I needed for the car...
Attached is picture of rear suspension in later Uniques
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pseim/irs2.jpg

Paul

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the suspension pic. Can you give me a detail one where the trailing arms mount to the suspension? Also if you know the size of the spherical ends that would be helpful. Looks like it would be easy to fabricate.

I see your idea about the gas tank, sink it in the rails. That would gain about an extra cubic foot of trunk space. I might be tempted to build a aluminum 'pan' to hold and mount the tank to. The pan would be 'L' shaped closing the bottoms of the frame rails and rising to the bottom of the glass floor at the front. Riveted all the way around would even add a bit of strength to that area.

Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the suspension pic. Can you give me a detail one where the trailing arms mount to the suspension? Also if you know the size of the spherical ends that would be helpful. Looks like it would be easy to fabricate.

I see your idea about the gas tank, sink it in the rails. That would gain about an extra cubic foot of trunk space. I might be tempted to build a aluminum 'pan' to hold and mount the tank to. The pan would be 'L' shaped closing the bottoms of the frame rails and rising to the bottom of the glass floor at the front. Riveted all the way around would even add a bit of strength to that area.

Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Any one know the cost of the rear trailing arms and support upgrade from Unique?
Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 19th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Any one know the cost of the rear trailing arms and support upgrade from Unique?
Thanks
Rick

rdorman
October 20th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I have requested a price quote on a ATL Fuel Cell from a local dealer. I have requested the dimensions listed by pseim in something like their sport cell model. These are FIA, SCCA, USAC, SCORE and CORE approved cells. Seemless bladder, gas or methanol, twin pickups with -6 or -8 AN fittings, internal ball 3/8 -6 vent valve, powder coated 20 guage steel 'can', removable anti surge foam baffling, 6" x 10" access flange, powder coated filler plate with passenger side fill, 'duck foot' fuel traps and fuel/water seperator, regular fill with flap valve and safety cap. Weight will be about 40 pounds.

I will let you know what they say!

Rick

rdorman
October 20th, 2003, 11:21 PM
I have requested a price quote on a ATL Fuel Cell from a local dealer. I have requested the dimensions listed by pseim in something like their sport cell model. These are FIA, SCCA, USAC, SCORE and CORE approved cells. Seemless bladder, gas or methanol, twin pickups with -6 or -8 AN fittings, internal ball 3/8 -6 vent valve, powder coated 20 guage steel 'can', removable anti surge foam baffling, 6" x 10" access flange, powder coated filler plate with passenger side fill, 'duck foot' fuel traps and fuel/water seperator, regular fill with flap valve and safety cap. Weight will be about 40 pounds.

I will let you know what they say!

Rick

rdorman
October 29th, 2003, 05:33 AM
ATL fuel cell. A fuel cell from ATL made to the 7x20x30 dimensions listed above would cost about $1900. So there it is!
Rick

rdorman
October 29th, 2003, 05:33 AM
ATL fuel cell. A fuel cell from ATL made to the 7x20x30 dimensions listed above would cost about $1900. So there it is!
Rick

pseim
October 30th, 2003, 12:50 AM
OUCH! So did you order one?

Paul

pseim
October 30th, 2003, 12:50 AM
OUCH! So did you order one?

Paul

GeorgiaSnake
October 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM
I don't think I need a cell but would like another 10 gallons of capacity.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
October 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM
I don't think I need a cell but would like another 10 gallons of capacity.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver