PDA

View Full Version : Ground Clearance

Mike Geddes
October 17th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Just as a matter of interest, could some of you guys out there tell me what clearance you have between your oil pan and the ground.
Thx......Mike

Mike Geddes

Brent
October 17th, 2003, 02:46 AM
On my car the bottom of the lakewood scatter shield is lower than the oil pan. I have about 4 1/2 inches to the pan and about 3 1/2 inches to the shield. (FE with a toploader)

Brent
October 17th, 2003, 02:46 AM
On my car the bottom of the lakewood scatter shield is lower than the oil pan. I have about 4 1/2 inches to the pan and about 3 1/2 inches to the shield. (FE with a toploader)

WBofTN
October 17th, 2003, 02:55 AM
agreed - the bell housing hangs much lower than the oil pan on my car.
It drags on speed bumps.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
October 17th, 2003, 02:55 AM
agreed - the bell housing hangs much lower than the oil pan on my car.
It drags on speed bumps.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

eliminator
October 17th, 2003, 03:27 AM
My scattershield has been shaved so I have 4" from my Canton Oil Pan to the ground and about the same from the scattershield to the ground. The car has a FE engine in it and my ride height has been adjusted to about the perfect setting for street use. Stiff settings on the shocks.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 17th, 2003, 03:27 AM
My scattershield has been shaved so I have 4" from my Canton Oil Pan to the ground and about the same from the scattershield to the ground. The car has a FE engine in it and my ride height has been adjusted to about the perfect setting for street use. Stiff settings on the shocks.

Eliminator

pgermond
October 17th, 2003, 08:17 AM
My Lakewood bell housing has been clipped and is 5" from the pavement. The Canton oil pan on my FE rides at about 4 1/4" above the deck. I've talked to guys who haven't clipped their bell housings, and they say when they hang up on a speed bump, or whatever, it feels like the drive train is being ripped out..... nothing I particulary want to experience!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
October 17th, 2003, 08:17 AM
My Lakewood bell housing has been clipped and is 5" from the pavement. The Canton oil pan on my FE rides at about 4 1/4" above the deck. I've talked to guys who haven't clipped their bell housings, and they say when they hang up on a speed bump, or whatever, it feels like the drive train is being ripped out..... nothing I particulary want to experience!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Eric Miller
October 18th, 2003, 07:47 AM
I have mine 3 1/2" from floor to bottom of pan.I havent had no problems with bumps It gives to me the low profile look to the body.

Eric

Eric Miller
October 18th, 2003, 07:47 AM
I have mine 3 1/2" from floor to bottom of pan.I havent had no problems with bumps It gives to me the low profile look to the body.

Eric

casaleenie
October 18th, 2003, 08:32 AM
I also had to shave the scattershield... Not sure exactly the ground clearance but it's a noticiable difference.. I could not negotiate speed bumps before the trimming...

AL

casaleenie
October 18th, 2003, 08:32 AM
I also had to shave the scattershield... Not sure exactly the ground clearance but it's a noticiable difference.. I could not negotiate speed bumps before the trimming...

AL

eliminator
October 19th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Measured mine again after the Saturday cruise, from the oil pan to the ground 3 1/2" and the scatter shield to the ground is 3 1/4" Scatter shield has been shaved. My car dosen't
sit real low, I think you guy's with the FE engines will find after you drive them and the car settles you are going to be closer to 3 1/2" than 4" from the ground to the oil pan. I have 15" wheel and 235's up front with 275's in the rear. If you have had them jacked up and let them down without driving the car the measurement will be on the high side.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 19th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Measured mine again after the Saturday cruise, from the oil pan to the ground 3 1/2" and the scatter shield to the ground is 3 1/4" Scatter shield has been shaved. My car dosen't
sit real low, I think you guy's with the FE engines will find after you drive them and the car settles you are going to be closer to 3 1/2" than 4" from the ground to the oil pan. I have 15" wheel and 235's up front with 275's in the rear. If you have had them jacked up and let them down without driving the car the measurement will be on the high side.

Eliminator