PDA

View Full Version : Tach inaccuracy

Tony Radford
October 21st, 2003, 09:49 AM
My engine was recently replaced with a new one (including the MSD distributor). I'm running the 6A controller and MSD coil. Since the new distributor was hooked up, my tach now reads 1,000 RPMs high and won't zero. A tech at MSD told me I neede to install the MSD 8920 tach adapter. Does this make sense? It worked before and only the distributor (still MSD) was changed. Has anyone had that problem before? On the SW tach, is the terminal labled "S" the trigger port?

Thanks.

Okiesnake
October 21st, 2003, 10:29 AM
Take an extra piece of wire and put an electrical female spade connector at the one end and attach it to the male spade connector of the MSD (Tach Output connector - the little black round connection on the end of the MSD). The other end of this wire is attached to the tach (S) signal connector on the back of your tach gauge. For more MSD hook up details see http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/page4.html

Your new 427W must be a thrill! Congradulations!

Okiesnake
October 21st, 2003, 10:29 AM
Take an extra piece of wire and put an electrical female spade connector at the one end and attach it to the male spade connector of the MSD (Tach Output connector - the little black round connection on the end of the MSD). The other end of this wire is attached to the tach (S) signal connector on the back of your tach gauge. For more MSD hook up details see http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/page4.html

Your new 427W must be a thrill! Congradulations!

davids2toys
August 13th, 2007, 08:03 PM
My engine was recently replaced with a new one (including the MSD distributor). I'm running the 6A controller and MSD coil. Since the new distributor was hooked up, my tach now reads 1,000 RPMs high and won't zero. A tech at MSD told me I neede to install the MSD 8920 tach adapter. Does this make sense? It worked before and only the distributor (still MSD) was changed. Has anyone had that problem before? On the SW tach, is the terminal labled "S" the trigger port?

Thanks.

this is my problem also, but when I tap on the glass face of the gage, it will fall down to normal:confused:

pgermond
August 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
this is my problem also, but when I tap on the glass face of the gage, it will fall down to normal:confused:

Keep tapping! :p

Naumoff
August 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM
Keep tapping! :p

Clay is always smacking his SW gauges.

I have Autometer replica Cobra gauges.

mgreene
August 14th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I had the exact same problem with my 289FIA - I was running a Davis DUI distributor on a 351 Cleveland. Mine would register up to 2000 RPM too high, but a swift tap with my knuckle would usually get it back to normal. It was also SW tach.

will butterworth
August 14th, 2007, 08:16 AM
mine too, temp guage always hangs, little whack and back to zero.When barelt rolling slow the speedometer flops up to 40-60 mph, then flattens out accurate when rolling faster.Think gears are not engaging at slow speed, plastic anyway.Never did get oil temp guage to work , not grounded well, I think. May try again some day.Right now Zach and Cy are installing spal fans, man they work fine--knock your hat off.My routine is watching the oil guage , temp guage, peep at electricity once in a while.Don,t even worry about whats left.All at is fun to tinker with. May latch down one of those four cylinder yamaha motorcycle engines on that john deere lawn mower,I can out run Zach and Cy then by gosh.Hotdog.Will-alabama

davids2toys
August 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Would changing out the gauge fix it?
Also, would the first post in this thread apply to me?