PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Harness

Copper01
October 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM
I finally got started with the build process and I have to say that things seem to be going pretty well. I've now got the gas and oil lines hooked up as well as the heater and radiator hoses (by the way, I can now fully appreciate the comments related to that lower radiator hose). I'm going to pick up the flex clutch line tomorrow, so tomorrow evening I'll be bleeding and adjusting the brake and clutch lines.

The next major task appears to be the wiring harness and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to a name brand product to use for sheathing on the harness. I'm a little worried about the amount of heat that's going to under the hood, so I'm wondering if just using a standard, off-the-shelf plastic sheathing is going to be sufficient.

Thoughts and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue

eliminator
October 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Ben,

The plastic type loom that comes with your harness will do fine, you could get some of the heat sheathing that has velcro to cover the section (about 3') that runs under the drivers side inner fender if you wanted to do that. My engine harness runs under the engine so no problem there. I like the fact that looking at my engine compartment there are no visible wires. Exception the ones coming up through the water pump for the water temp sending unit, coil wires, and distributor leads. I would look at insulating the underside of the fender area above the headers, this will keep the heat from distorting the fiberglass, will happen over a period of time.

Eliminator

eliminator
October 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
Ben,

The plastic type loom that comes with your harness will do fine, you could get some of the heat sheathing that has velcro to cover the section (about 3') that runs under the drivers side inner fender if you wanted to do that. My engine harness runs under the engine so no problem there. I like the fact that looking at my engine compartment there are no visible wires. Exception the ones coming up through the water pump for the water temp sending unit, coil wires, and distributor leads. I would look at insulating the underside of the fender area above the headers, this will keep the heat from distorting the fiberglass, will happen over a period of time.

Eliminator

Brent
October 21st, 2003, 09:30 PM
Sounds like you are getting close. If the harness is placed in the car correctly only a few wires will be in the engine compartment and the convoluted tubing should be just fine. Water temp,oil pres,1 wire alt,dist.,and coil is all you have in the engine area.
Thermo-tec makes a high temp sheath in 3 or 4 sizes you could use. It has a foil finish with a fiber mesh interior. About 5.00 per foot from Jegs or Summit.

Brent

Brent
October 21st, 2003, 09:30 PM
Sounds like you are getting close. If the harness is placed in the car correctly only a few wires will be in the engine compartment and the convoluted tubing should be just fine. Water temp,oil pres,1 wire alt,dist.,and coil is all you have in the engine area.
Thermo-tec makes a high temp sheath in 3 or 4 sizes you could use. It has a foil finish with a fiber mesh interior. About 5.00 per foot from Jegs or Summit.

Brent