PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator Linkage for Full Speed Ahead

patrija
October 29th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Last time I saw Alan and Maurice (multiple months ago to deliver the birth of two 289s near Atlanta), it was mentioned that they often see accelerator linkages that are not setup correctly for "full speed ahead". Can someone confirm the proper procedure to match pedal travel to the carb? Thanks!

Poorboy
October 29th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Jason,
Take the rod loose from the carb, push the rod back to the firewall, open the carb all the way. You should be able to hook the rod back to the carb without moving the carb linkage any. You should be able to let the rod move off the firewall a little, thats good.

Poorboy

Poorboy
October 29th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Jason,
Take the rod loose from the carb, push the rod back to the firewall, open the carb all the way. You should be able to hook the rod back to the carb without moving the carb linkage any. You should be able to let the rod move off the firewall a little, thats good.

Poorboy

GeorgiaSnake
October 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Jason get someone to sit in the car and hold the pedal down (without the engine running :)) and check to see if the throttle is opening far enough to allow the secondaries to open. You will see a little curved plate that is slotted to allow them to open, with the pedal down see if you can open them manually, take a peek inside the carb and check for full open.

I picked my car up yesterday and saw yours was ready, when are you going to get it? If you want to come over Sat morning I'll help you check it.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
October 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Jason get someone to sit in the car and hold the pedal down (without the engine running :)) and check to see if the throttle is opening far enough to allow the secondaries to open. You will see a little curved plate that is slotted to allow them to open, with the pedal down see if you can open them manually, take a peek inside the carb and check for full open.

I picked my car up yesterday and saw yours was ready, when are you going to get it? If you want to come over Sat morning I'll help you check it.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

patrija
October 30th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks PB and GS, great advice!

Randy - I'm going to be heading down today to get it, thanks! I'm sure you're excited to get the car back and running at top notch I assume.

patrija
October 30th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Thanks PB and GS, great advice!

Randy - I'm going to be heading down today to get it, thanks! I'm sure you're excited to get the car back and running at top notch I assume.

Brent
October 31st, 2003, 12:16 AM
Make sure the pedal hits the firewall or a stop at W.O.T. You don't want the linkage pulling against the throttle arm of the carb beyond W.O.T.

Brent

Brent
October 31st, 2003, 12:16 AM
Make sure the pedal hits the firewall or a stop at W.O.T. You don't want the linkage pulling against the throttle arm of the carb beyond W.O.T.

Brent

davids2toys
August 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM
I was a little short of WOT when the pedal was bottomed.
Well, I started by thinking I just needed to make the first rod longer so the pedal was a bit higher for longer travel, and this would give me WOT when the pedal bottoms out against the firewall.
Well, it is a lot worse now, making it shorter or longer is not working at all, so I guess from looking at this thread i should have been messing with the carb rod.
So how do I get the rod I have been messing with back to where it was before I started it...I did not take a measurement before I started adjusting...does anyone no how many threads (minimum)it should be screwed into each turnbuckle, so I can have a starting point at least, any other help would be appreciate it.
Thanks...Dave

nolastyankee
August 6th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Dave,
I have always heard my Dad say that min insertion for any fastener (regardless of type or size) should be 1.5 times the diameter. For example, a .250" rod end should have a minimum of .375" engagement.

In adjusting the linkage you need to consider the bellcrank position on the firewall, the pedal position vs. footbox travel, and the carb open/close position. Try this as a starting place to get close:

1. Take off all linkages and return springs
2. Tape gas pedal to bottom of footbox (wide open) with about 3/16" spacer behind the pedal
3. Position bellcrank on firewall about 1/8" off the firewall.
4. Install pedal to bellcrank rod end at this length
5. Open and hold carb wide open, then install carb to bellcrank rod at this length.
6. Install return springs and let all return to normal.

davids2toys
August 6th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Dave,
I have always heard my Dad say that min insertion for any fastener (regardless of type or size) should be 1.5 times the diameter. For example, a .250" rod end should have a minimum of .375" engagement.

In adjusting the linkage you need to consider the bellcrank position on the firewall, the pedal position vs. footbox travel, and the carb open/close position. Try this as a starting place to get close:

2. Tape gas pedal to bottom of footbox (wide open) with about 3/16" spacer behind the pedal
5. Open and hold carb wide open, then install carb to bellcrank rod at this length.

I did most of this except for the spacer, I will give it a whirl your way and see what happens!
Thanks

davids2toys
August 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Dave,

HOLY CRAP...This method worked, unreal!
I kept having to shorten the rod in step 5 , more than what you said, I acct this to flex in the linkage.
I still cant believe it, all those other methods just made things worse, this was simple, and 100% better...now to clean up these rods, trim, clean and paint, but not tonight, it is 1 in the morning and I will be getting up for work in 3 1/2 hrs...Tomorrow is going to be a rough one!!!!!
Thanks Again:)
can't wait to see how she performs now at 100% WOT:shift: :eek: