PDA

View Full Version : Unique w/ a 460

diiulio
November 1st, 2003, 02:58 AM
I am contemplating what engine and was wondering if there is anybody w/ experience either owning or driving a Unique 427 with a 460 under the hood? If so, please provide me with some insight.
Thank you,
Jason

Brent
November 1st, 2003, 04:34 AM
I have drag raced the 385 series engine for years and it is an awesome platform for horsepower. Very few engines, dollar for dollar, can come even close to its HP and torque numbers.

BUT......

1 )It is big . I do not think it will fit between the standard footboxes on a Unique kit.
2) It is heavy. One of the compromises on a big block car is nose weight.
3) It is ugly. I hate to say it, but the FE is a damn good looking engine and the 385 is not.
4) It is not the "right" power plant for a Cobra.
5) It won't rev like a FE. The FE has a much lighter rotating assy. and the main web area is a much tougher design then the 385. You can buy a Motorsport block for a 385 but they are heavier yet.
6) Resale.

Have fun

Brent

Brent
November 1st, 2003, 04:34 AM
I have drag raced the 385 series engine for years and it is an awesome platform for horsepower. Very few engines, dollar for dollar, can come even close to its HP and torque numbers.

BUT......

1 )It is big . I do not think it will fit between the standard footboxes on a Unique kit.
2) It is heavy. One of the compromises on a big block car is nose weight.
3) It is ugly. I hate to say it, but the FE is a damn good looking engine and the 385 is not.
4) It is not the "right" power plant for a Cobra.
5) It won't rev like a FE. The FE has a much lighter rotating assy. and the main web area is a much tougher design then the 385. You can buy a Motorsport block for a 385 but they are heavier yet.
6) Resale.

Have fun

Brent

Poorboy
November 1st, 2003, 10:22 AM
Brent,
Unique has built a couple with 460s in them, and they will fit with the stock foot boxs. The have one in the shop now from Ford Motorsports 514 I think.

Poorboy
November 1st, 2003, 10:22 AM
Brent,
Unique has built a couple with 460s in them, and they will fit with the stock foot boxs. The have one in the shop now from Ford Motorsports 514 I think.

diiulio
November 4th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the input.
So, there isn't anybody that has any experience with a 460 in a Cobra?

diiulio
November 4th, 2003, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the input.
So, there isn't anybody that has any experience with a 460 in a Cobra?

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Go to a Superformance forum or Club Cobra there is a bunch there.

Brent

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 04:32 AM
Go to a Superformance forum or Club Cobra there is a bunch there.

Brent

pbrown
November 4th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Call Dynamic Motorsports in Ross Ohio. They have a free video that shows the installation on a 460 in a Superformance. They install the engine and tranny assembly through the hood.

--Patrick

pbrown
November 4th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Call Dynamic Motorsports in Ross Ohio. They have a free video that shows the installation on a 460 in a Superformance. They install the engine and tranny assembly through the hood.

--Patrick