PDA

View Full Version : electric fuel pump

dmiller
November 3rd, 2003, 08:46 AM
i'm slowly working thru the dash wiring, electricity is still that smokie stuff that comes out of electrical panels that i've wired all by myself.

does the electrical fuel pump power up with the ignition key, or does it require a separate switch. i see the wiring that goes to the pump, but don't know how to read the circuits well enough to see when it gets power.

i see that i have aux switches for the electrical fan and windshield wipers, but no fuel pump switch.

this is a 289 fia model, using the deluxe pallet kit wiring harness.

thanks.

brfutbrian
November 3rd, 2003, 10:37 AM
my 2002 427 model has a key on wire for the fuel pump. it comes out in the trunk wiring.i use it for my secret audio setup in my trunk.if my memory hasnt failed me its orange or orange with a white stripe. maybe #29 ? later , brian

brfutbrian
November 3rd, 2003, 10:37 AM
my 2002 427 model has a key on wire for the fuel pump. it comes out in the trunk wiring.i use it for my secret audio setup in my trunk.if my memory hasnt failed me its orange or orange with a white stripe. maybe #29 ? later , brian

brfutbrian
November 4th, 2003, 12:28 AM
that wire isnt key on, it comes out under the dash, you can hook it up any way you want. later brian

brfutbrian
November 4th, 2003, 12:28 AM
that wire isnt key on, it comes out under the dash, you can hook it up any way you want. later brian

dmiller
November 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM
thank you. i see the wire in both the trunk and the dash.

i can't see any reason to have the fuel pump controlled by an independent switch, do you?

so i think should be wired to some key on circuit.

correct me if i'm wrong.

doug

dmiller
November 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM
thank you. i see the wire in both the trunk and the dash.

i can't see any reason to have the fuel pump controlled by an independent switch, do you?

so i think should be wired to some key on circuit.

correct me if i'm wrong.

doug

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 06:49 AM
If you are going to run an electric fuel pump you should install a safety switch that either shuts off the fuel flow or kills the 12V to the pump.

Brent

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 06:49 AM
If you are going to run an electric fuel pump you should install a safety switch that either shuts off the fuel flow or kills the 12V to the pump.

Brent

pbrown
November 4th, 2003, 09:22 AM
I agree. Modern cars have an impact shutoff that will kill fuel pump power if the car is in an accident. I would also instal a manual switch on the dash and use it as part of the standard startup and shut down procedure.

--Patrick

pbrown
November 4th, 2003, 09:22 AM
I agree. Modern cars have an impact shutoff that will kill fuel pump power if the car is in an accident. I would also instal a manual switch on the dash and use it as part of the standard startup and shut down procedure.

--Patrick

weaver
November 4th, 2003, 09:59 PM
We recommend you wire the fuel pump on a toggle, that is how the manual tells you yo wire it. There will be times when you will want to turn the fuel pump off while working on the car and with it wired thru the switch it will run constantly.

Alan

weaver
November 4th, 2003, 09:59 PM
We recommend you wire the fuel pump on a toggle, that is how the manual tells you yo wire it. There will be times when you will want to turn the fuel pump off while working on the car and with it wired thru the switch it will run constantly.

Alan