PDA

View Full Version : insulation

COBRAGAR
November 3rd, 2003, 10:20 AM
i got heat insulation for firewall and trans tunnel . has anybody put more insulation down if so what type did you use. thanks again

pgermond
November 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM
Protect yourself from the heat of the headers - I think the aluminum footboxes are best for that (I hope!). I'm going to wrap my starter, hydraulic clutch cylinder with reflective material, and fab some aluminum to protect the master cylinders. I'm also planning on looking for something to insulate and brake/hydraulic lines that are close to the headers. Speaking of headers - I had mine ceramic coated to increase life and decrease heat.

Good luck.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM
Protect yourself from the heat of the headers - I think the aluminum footboxes are best for that (I hope!). I'm going to wrap my starter, hydraulic clutch cylinder with reflective material, and fab some aluminum to protect the master cylinders. I'm also planning on looking for something to insulate and brake/hydraulic lines that are close to the headers. Speaking of headers - I had mine ceramic coated to increase life and decrease heat.

Good luck.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
November 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Be sure you insulate the footboxes, sides and front for sure. I think its a good idea to do the top also, some folks don't do it. . There are two brands, Thermo Inc., Cool IT and DEI, Design Engineering Inc. I used DEI on the footboxes it comes in 40"
X36" sheets, use a product called Sticky Stuff (aerosol spray adhesive)to put it down. Both insulation products are the same but the Cool It is much higher. Inside the cockpit needs to be done, the Transmission Tunnel for sure. I did the bulkhead and floor as well, used 3/8" or 1/2" insulation there , used Super Insulator, 48"X72" sheet, 34.99, JEG'S. Also this material can be used in the trunk, put it over the fuel cell so the carpet will lay nice. Dont forget if its aluminum backed to cut a hole for your fuel sending unit , if not it will ground it out. Buy the insulated sheating for all your hydraulic and fuel lines. I used JEG's and Summit for all this stuff.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 3rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
Be sure you insulate the footboxes, sides and front for sure. I think its a good idea to do the top also, some folks don't do it. . There are two brands, Thermo Inc., Cool IT and DEI, Design Engineering Inc. I used DEI on the footboxes it comes in 40"
X36" sheets, use a product called Sticky Stuff (aerosol spray adhesive)to put it down. Both insulation products are the same but the Cool It is much higher. Inside the cockpit needs to be done, the Transmission Tunnel for sure. I did the bulkhead and floor as well, used 3/8" or 1/2" insulation there , used Super Insulator, 48"X72" sheet, 34.99, JEG'S. Also this material can be used in the trunk, put it over the fuel cell so the carpet will lay nice. Dont forget if its aluminum backed to cut a hole for your fuel sending unit , if not it will ground it out. Buy the insulated sheating for all your hydraulic and fuel lines. I used JEG's and Summit for all this stuff.

Eliminator

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Insulate everything you can! The footboxes are "feet ovens". These are things you just can't do later. "now or never"...."no regrets"

Brent

Brent
November 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Insulate everything you can! The footboxes are "feet ovens". These are things you just can't do later. "now or never"...."no regrets"

Brent

GeorgiaSnake
November 4th, 2003, 09:17 PM
If you are using the alumimun heat shields put cork between them and the footbox, then the thermal shield on the inside under the carpet. You can buy a roll of the cork almost anywhere and it's cheap and works great. Kirkham and I think Shelby uses it.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 4th, 2003, 09:17 PM
If you are using the alumimun heat shields put cork between them and the footbox, then the thermal shield on the inside under the carpet. You can buy a roll of the cork almost anywhere and it's cheap and works great. Kirkham and I think Shelby uses it.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Scott McDowell
November 5th, 2003, 01:24 AM
How thick is the cork that you used? I am in the process of putting the aluminum panels in now. I purchsed Aluminized heat barrier from Unique for inside.

Have most people put some type of protection between the headers and the master cylinders? I don't remember seeing anything in the cars I looked at except aluminum covering the footboxes.

Thanks
Scott

Scott McDowell
November 5th, 2003, 01:24 AM
How thick is the cork that you used? I am in the process of putting the aluminum panels in now. I purchsed Aluminized heat barrier from Unique for inside.

Have most people put some type of protection between the headers and the master cylinders? I don't remember seeing anything in the cars I looked at except aluminum covering the footboxes.

Thanks
Scott

eliminator
November 5th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Scott,

On the FE engines the headers will boil the brake & clutch fluid. A heat shield made from aluminum can be mounted right under the 3 master cylinders to deflect the heat. Maybe the cork will work??? But since this is a one time deal to get it right I will pay the extra bucks and use the hi-tech 2000 degree insulation from DEI. All I can tell you is in 80-90 degree weather my footboxes are not hot, nuff said. This is with a 500HP 427
FE engine and ceramic coated headers.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 5th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Scott,

On the FE engines the headers will boil the brake & clutch fluid. A heat shield made from aluminum can be mounted right under the 3 master cylinders to deflect the heat. Maybe the cork will work??? But since this is a one time deal to get it right I will pay the extra bucks and use the hi-tech 2000 degree insulation from DEI. All I can tell you is in 80-90 degree weather my footboxes are not hot, nuff said. This is with a 500HP 427
FE engine and ceramic coated headers.

Eliminator

Scott McDowell
November 6th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Any pictures possible of the heat shield for the cylinders? Thanks again

Scott

Scott McDowell
November 6th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Any pictures possible of the heat shield for the cylinders? Thanks again

Scott

GeorgiaSnake
November 6th, 2003, 06:50 PM
The cork between the alumimun heat shields and footbox works. Use 1/8 to 1/4" thick cut to fit the shape of the shields minus about 3/8". Spot glue the cork then pop-rivet the aluminum in place.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 6th, 2003, 06:50 PM
The cork between the alumimun heat shields and footbox works. Use 1/8 to 1/4" thick cut to fit the shape of the shields minus about 3/8". Spot glue the cork then pop-rivet the aluminum in place.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver