PDA

View Full Version : 351W Alternator bracket help needed

jhaynie
November 4th, 2003, 12:17 AM
I am in the process of replacing my alternator. The existing stock bracket that mounts on the front of the cylinder head had a thread stripped out previous to me owning the car. I got a price from Ford on a new bracket, $88 [:O]. So, I decided that the aluminum March bracket at on $99 was a better setup for not much more money.

I know theres quite a few of us with 289FIA's with 351W in them. What else has anyone done, and if they used the March brackets, what model number do they have. I don't want to be sending parts back and forth for weeks until I get it right.

Thanks,
John

Tony Radford
November 4th, 2003, 01:23 AM
John, I went through this exercise very recently. I had a new engine built a few weeks ago and went for all the bells an whistles. My first March system used the bracket that puts the alternator below the cylinder head and was unusable due to the fact that the alternator hit the chassis. I got one of the techs on the phone and together we worked out a new assembly that put the alternator up high. I'm using Coolflex radiator hoses with those long chrome clamp covers and the thermostat cover that is angled up at 45 degrees. I'm also using the high-volume Edelbrock water pump. It is a beautiful set up. I had a number of my engine components polished and the March kit complements the engine well. You have to get a tech on the line and explain your application in detail. I recommend that you go with the config. that puts the alternator up high to avoid possible conflicts.

Tony Radford
November 4th, 2003, 01:23 AM
John, I went through this exercise very recently. I had a new engine built a few weeks ago and went for all the bells an whistles. My first March system used the bracket that puts the alternator below the cylinder head and was unusable due to the fact that the alternator hit the chassis. I got one of the techs on the phone and together we worked out a new assembly that put the alternator up high. I'm using Coolflex radiator hoses with those long chrome clamp covers and the thermostat cover that is angled up at 45 degrees. I'm also using the high-volume Edelbrock water pump. It is a beautiful set up. I had a number of my engine components polished and the March kit complements the engine well. You have to get a tech on the line and explain your application in detail. I recommend that you go with the config. that puts the alternator up high to avoid possible conflicts.

jhaynie
November 4th, 2003, 09:10 PM
I was talking to a buddy yesterday and he brought up an interesting point. If the March bracket is built for a Ford 351,and I'm using a GM style alternator, the alternator may not fit with the Ford design bracket. I'm going to take the old factory bracket to a machine shop and get a helicoil put in it and get everything back to original. I figure I might as well keep my $100 the March bracket cost.

jhaynie
November 4th, 2003, 09:10 PM
I was talking to a buddy yesterday and he brought up an interesting point. If the March bracket is built for a Ford 351,and I'm using a GM style alternator, the alternator may not fit with the Ford design bracket. I'm going to take the old factory bracket to a machine shop and get a helicoil put in it and get everything back to original. I figure I might as well keep my $100 the March bracket cost.

weaver
November 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Are you sure you have a GM style alternator, I'm pretty sure the engine came to our shop with a Ford alternator.

Alan

weaver
November 4th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Are you sure you have a GM style alternator, I'm pretty sure the engine came to our shop with a Ford alternator.

Alan

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 01:13 AM
John, I'm running a chrome GM single wire alternator as well. If you want to go the cheap route, so be it. But your alternator being GM is no reason. As long as you tell them what you have with regards to water pump, heads, alternator etc., they will configure the appropriate bracket, spacers, bolts etc. I don't know what the rest of your engine looks like, but since I dressed mine up quite a bit, the bracket that was originally installed on my car was a serious distraction. $100 for an alternator bracket ain't cheap, but wow! What a difference!

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 01:13 AM
John, I'm running a chrome GM single wire alternator as well. If you want to go the cheap route, so be it. But your alternator being GM is no reason. As long as you tell them what you have with regards to water pump, heads, alternator etc., they will configure the appropriate bracket, spacers, bolts etc. I don't know what the rest of your engine looks like, but since I dressed mine up quite a bit, the bracket that was originally installed on my car was a serious distraction. $100 for an alternator bracket ain't cheap, but wow! What a difference!

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 01:18 AM
John, here is a pic of my engine with the March bracket assembly:
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/tony radford/New stroker.jpg

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 01:18 AM
John, here is a pic of my engine with the March bracket assembly:
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/tony radford/New stroker.jpg

jhaynie
November 5th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Alan,

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have known a GM alternator from a Ford alternator if my life depended on it. But the new GM I ordered from Summit had the same case size, design, and wire hookups as the old alternator. Tom had it replaced at about 1100 miles so maybe that was after you saw the car.

Tony,
My engine is pretty plain, sort of stock looking. The black brackets are ugly, but look original. They are a pain to adjust tension with, but I'll live with them for now. Landscaping the front yard started today, so the bracket lost out to a dozen azealeas.

John

jhaynie
November 5th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Alan,

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't have known a GM alternator from a Ford alternator if my life depended on it. But the new GM I ordered from Summit had the same case size, design, and wire hookups as the old alternator. Tom had it replaced at about 1100 miles so maybe that was after you saw the car.

Tony,
My engine is pretty plain, sort of stock looking. The black brackets are ugly, but look original. They are a pain to adjust tension with, but I'll live with them for now. Landscaping the front yard started today, so the bracket lost out to a dozen azealeas.

John

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 03:35 AM
John, the butterflies will thank you.

Tony Radford
November 5th, 2003, 03:35 AM
John, the butterflies will thank you.