PDA

View Full Version : Play in Front Hubs

WBofTN
November 5th, 2003, 12:04 AM
If you grab your front tire and shake it - do you feel some play[?]
Well I did/do. I then tighten the spindle nut (all the way tight - then back off a 1/4 turn - like I have done on cars all my life)
and It still has play. BTW I have that JFZ (??) front set up and car
has 4k miles.
Any input would be nice.
Thanks WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

K.Wilson
November 5th, 2003, 12:52 AM
WB,
Is your front tire/wheel play in the up/down or the side to side? If it is side to side it would indicate suspension components ie: tie rod end or rack and pinion.
Up and down could be bearing preload. Bearing preload is very critical to bearing life. Usually the tighten to 20 lb/ft and back off 1/4 turn method works, however sometimes that can still leave too much or little preload on the bearing.
A simple method to tell if the preload is too great (to tight) is to rotate the wheel/tire after the nut is adjusted to where you think it is right and watch the tire, when the tire stops turning if starts to roll back the bearing is too tight (this roll back will be very very very slight, you may do this seversl times to verify, but any atempt to roll back is too much and indicates too much preload)and you need to back off another notch. If it does not attempt to roll back you can probably go a notch tighter.
When you do this make sure the brake pads are not draging on the rotor. You can push the pads back in the caliper by backing off the bearing nut several turns and pushing/pulling the tire/wheel until the wheel turns free without the brake pads dragging on the rotors.
Hope this helps,Keith

Keith

K.Wilson
November 5th, 2003, 12:52 AM
WB,
Is your front tire/wheel play in the up/down or the side to side? If it is side to side it would indicate suspension components ie: tie rod end or rack and pinion.
Up and down could be bearing preload. Bearing preload is very critical to bearing life. Usually the tighten to 20 lb/ft and back off 1/4 turn method works, however sometimes that can still leave too much or little preload on the bearing.
A simple method to tell if the preload is too great (to tight) is to rotate the wheel/tire after the nut is adjusted to where you think it is right and watch the tire, when the tire stops turning if starts to roll back the bearing is too tight (this roll back will be very very very slight, you may do this seversl times to verify, but any atempt to roll back is too much and indicates too much preload)and you need to back off another notch. If it does not attempt to roll back you can probably go a notch tighter.
When you do this make sure the brake pads are not draging on the rotor. You can push the pads back in the caliper by backing off the bearing nut several turns and pushing/pulling the tire/wheel until the wheel turns free without the brake pads dragging on the rotors.
Hope this helps,Keith

Keith

WBofTN
November 5th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Good info Keith:
The play does seem to be up and down. I will try your method this weekend.
Thanks
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
November 5th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Good info Keith:
The play does seem to be up and down. I will try your method this weekend.
Thanks
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Brent
November 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Make sure you are spinning the wheel when you tighten the bearing. Any time you seat a tapered bearing make sure you do this. If not you can get a wrong reading or scuff the race.

Brent

Brent
November 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Make sure you are spinning the wheel when you tighten the bearing. Any time you seat a tapered bearing make sure you do this. If not you can get a wrong reading or scuff the race.

Brent