PDA

View Full Version : time to Jet-Hot headers and pipes--help

ericeckhoff
November 7th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Now that it is snowing, I am pulling my headers and sidepipes to get them Jet-Hot coated. Any tricks or things not to do to make this go easier? Any recommendations? Thanks!!!:D

Unique 9114 with 427 side oiler

Brent
November 7th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Good luck!

I could not get the driver side header off without removing the mount and moving the motor over. GRRRRR!!!!

Brent

Brent
November 7th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Good luck!

I could not get the driver side header off without removing the mount and moving the motor over. GRRRRR!!!!

Brent

Okiesnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM
I only a a SB and removing the headers is no problem. The only advice that I would give you is to clean up the side pipes and headers yourself before turning them over to the ceramic coater. Even though they polish them up after coating them, a little prep work on your part goes a long way. Clean up all welding slag.

Okiesnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:18 AM
I only a a SB and removing the headers is no problem. The only advice that I would give you is to clean up the side pipes and headers yourself before turning them over to the ceramic coater. Even though they polish them up after coating them, a little prep work on your part goes a long way. Clean up all welding slag.

pgermond
November 13th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Ditto on Okiesnake's comments about cleaning up the welds and slag. I read some where before I had mine done that an individual regretted not doing it prior to turning them over to the coater, thinking they would do it. Just be careful not to go to deep. Only takes an hour or so and makes a HUGE difference in the finished product.

I'm extremely pleased with the way mine turned out -

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/headers mounted.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 13th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Ditto on Okiesnake's comments about cleaning up the welds and slag. I read some where before I had mine done that an individual regretted not doing it prior to turning them over to the coater, thinking they would do it. Just be careful not to go to deep. Only takes an hour or so and makes a HUGE difference in the finished product.

I'm extremely pleased with the way mine turned out -

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/headers mounted.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
I spent a couple of hours cleaning my headers and sidepipes and then decided to paint them flat black using the same paint you us on BBQ grills. I love the flat black color and they are easy to keep looking good, just a little squirt of paint. Looks like the originals and cost less than $6.00.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 11:28 AM
I spent a couple of hours cleaning my headers and sidepipes and then decided to paint them flat black using the same paint you us on BBQ grills. I love the flat black color and they are easy to keep looking good, just a little squirt of paint. Looks like the originals and cost less than $6.00.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
November 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You paint your B-B-Q grill [?][?][?][?] I knew you folks in the south had a different way of grilling than us out here in California..... But paint? Isn't that a bit toxic [xx(] ? You mean the outside of the grill, not the grill itself, right?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM
You paint your B-B-Q grill [?][?][?][?] I knew you folks in the south had a different way of grilling than us out here in California..... But paint? Isn't that a bit toxic [xx(] ? You mean the outside of the grill, not the grill itself, right?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
November 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
:D How do you think the meat gets the black stripes on it[?]

If you really want to have some fun paint it while the burner is on. Backyard eyebrow remover [}:)]

Seriously, powdercoat,chrome,ceramic coating,paint, etc. All of these coatings are VERY dependent on surface preperation. Crap in crap out.

Brent

Brent
November 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
:D How do you think the meat gets the black stripes on it[?]

If you really want to have some fun paint it while the burner is on. Backyard eyebrow remover [}:)]

Seriously, powdercoat,chrome,ceramic coating,paint, etc. All of these coatings are VERY dependent on surface preperation. Crap in crap out.

Brent

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:22 PM
:D I have never painted the grill but I did use grill paint on the exhaust and it worked great. I wanted black and didn't care for the shinny look of the ceramic coating. I was sold after watching a buddy try and clean his side pipe after a plastic bag attached itself to the pipe.

I wondered how to get those black lines on my steaks, thanks for the tip [^]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:22 PM
:D I have never painted the grill but I did use grill paint on the exhaust and it worked great. I wanted black and didn't care for the shinny look of the ceramic coating. I was sold after watching a buddy try and clean his side pipe after a plastic bag attached itself to the pipe.

I wondered how to get those black lines on my steaks, thanks for the tip [^]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

bittentoo
November 17th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I have been trying to decide on chrome or Jet-hot coating for my sidepipes. If I may ask, how much does it cost to Jet-Hot coat the headers and sidepipes, and who did the work?

BTW, pgermond, your headers look great! Are your sidepipes going to be the same?

bittentoo
November 17th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I have been trying to decide on chrome or Jet-hot coating for my sidepipes. If I may ask, how much does it cost to Jet-Hot coat the headers and sidepipes, and who did the work?

BTW, pgermond, your headers look great! Are your sidepipes going to be the same?

pgermond
November 17th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Bittentoo,

Headers and side pipes have been ceramic coated - this helps reduce heat and extend the life. The shop that did the work, MicroCoat in Santa Rosa, CA, is now closed (the owner developed multiple forms of cancer and closed right after he finished my work). The cost was $500, and he did an extremely good job (too bad about his health, plus he's one of those guys you like the minute you meet him).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 17th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Bittentoo,

Headers and side pipes have been ceramic coated - this helps reduce heat and extend the life. The shop that did the work, MicroCoat in Santa Rosa, CA, is now closed (the owner developed multiple forms of cancer and closed right after he finished my work). The cost was $500, and he did an extremely good job (too bad about his health, plus he's one of those guys you like the minute you meet him).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

bittentoo
November 17th, 2003, 11:59 PM
pgermond,

Thanks for the info.
BTW, your car is looking great[^]
If anyone else has some info please jump in and let me know:D

bittentoo
November 17th, 2003, 11:59 PM
pgermond,

Thanks for the info.
BTW, your car is looking great[^]
If anyone else has some info please jump in and let me know:D

clayfoushee
November 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking of having my pipes redone in Jet Hot Silver (currently Jet Hot black). However, recently I've heard from a number of people who had problems and/or pipes banged up/dented in shipping.

Are they really that much better? I'm aware of a guy who does it locally that many are happy with, just wondering whether the Jet Hot process is that superior.

Unique 9929 427 side oiler

clayfoushee
November 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I'm thinking of having my pipes redone in Jet Hot Silver (currently Jet Hot black). However, recently I've heard from a number of people who had problems and/or pipes banged up/dented in shipping.

Are they really that much better? I'm aware of a guy who does it locally that many are happy with, just wondering whether the Jet Hot process is that superior.

Unique 9929 427 side oiler

Brent
November 18th, 2003, 01:16 AM
I have had Jethot,Airborne in CT, and Hedman all coat headers for me and I can't tell an ounce worth of diff. in any of them.

Good luck
Brent

Brent
November 18th, 2003, 01:16 AM
I have had Jethot,Airborne in CT, and Hedman all coat headers for me and I can't tell an ounce worth of diff. in any of them.

Good luck
Brent

pgermond
November 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
UPS, FedEx, etc. are not header/side pipe friendly. The guy that did my work almost refused my business when I told him I would like to ship them. I had heard a lot of horror stories about pipes getting banged up, so I bit the bullet and drove the 4.5 hours roundtrip to deliver and pick up the pipes (not all that bad 'cause I drove through the Napa Valley and made a stop or two :D)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 18th, 2003, 03:05 AM
UPS, FedEx, etc. are not header/side pipe friendly. The guy that did my work almost refused my business when I told him I would like to ship them. I had heard a lot of horror stories about pipes getting banged up, so I bit the bullet and drove the 4.5 hours roundtrip to deliver and pick up the pipes (not all that bad 'cause I drove through the Napa Valley and made a stop or two :D)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
November 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM
There are several people who do the ceramic coatings, Jet Hot of course is a trade name. I had mine done in Knoxville, TN. You need to work on them before the work is done, polish and sand the rough stuff. Clean up the ports on the collectors where Maurice cut them out with a cutting torch. Sand as many of the scratches out you can as the coating will not fill in all of those places. Then I did the 3 1/2 hour trip to Knoxville and left them then the same to pick them up. If I shipped these products I would have to make some nice wooden shipping containers. These are a big focal part of the car and need to be done correctly. Cost is in the 450.00 - 600.00 range on a set of the FE side pipes and headers.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 18th, 2003, 09:33 PM
There are several people who do the ceramic coatings, Jet Hot of course is a trade name. I had mine done in Knoxville, TN. You need to work on them before the work is done, polish and sand the rough stuff. Clean up the ports on the collectors where Maurice cut them out with a cutting torch. Sand as many of the scratches out you can as the coating will not fill in all of those places. Then I did the 3 1/2 hour trip to Knoxville and left them then the same to pick them up. If I shipped these products I would have to make some nice wooden shipping containers. These are a big focal part of the car and need to be done correctly. Cost is in the 450.00 - 600.00 range on a set of the FE side pipes and headers.

Eliminator

pseim
November 21st, 2003, 02:00 AM
Also check out Hot Shot Performance Coatings (hotshotusa.net) in Florida. The owner is on his second Cobra and give discounts to Cobra owners.
I witnessed his work on a friends side pipes and he does good work.

Paul

pseim
November 21st, 2003, 02:00 AM
Also check out Hot Shot Performance Coatings (hotshotusa.net) in Florida. The owner is on his second Cobra and give discounts to Cobra owners.
I witnessed his work on a friends side pipes and he does good work.

Paul

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 03:54 AM
I had my headers done in Silver and the side pipes in black on my FIA by the Jet Hot folks here in the Phoenix area. Fortunately Shipping was a none issue since I could deliver and pick them up. Quite happy with the product.

Joe LaFives
November 21st, 2003, 03:54 AM
I had my headers done in Silver and the side pipes in black on my FIA by the Jet Hot folks here in the Phoenix area. Fortunately Shipping was a none issue since I could deliver and pick them up. Quite happy with the product.