PDA

View Full Version : Radiator hoses for Deluxe Pallet 351W SA???

casaleenie
November 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
I was just brought up to speed by Poorboy regarding the lower radiator hose placement on the Unique 289 FIA with a 351 W from SA.

The way it's set up now the lower radiator hose runs over the left lower control arm instead of going through the frame.
DId not realize that this was incorrect until it was pointed out by Poorboy... It didn't look quite like I thought it should but I figured that it was installed correctly...Also, the way it's set up the braided brake line rubs against the lower hose and is cutting into the thickness. I put a piece of wire covers over the braided brake line during the summer figuring I'd stop the wear and replace or shorten the brake line this winter... Turns out the radiator hose shouldn't be there in the first place...

Is there a series of numbers for the hoses to make this correction or is it just a makeshift bunch of hoses cut to length and jockeyed into position? I've got some other issues but I'll try and present them to the forum one at a time...

Rick, do you make housecalls??????

As soon as I get a digital camera, I'm gonna make you guys crazy with questions...:)

AL

GeorgiaSnake
November 10th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Al I might have some pictures of what I did, 90 with hose out of the radiator to a hard pipe (muffler pipe) bent 90 which goes through the frame cross-member then a crazy multiple bend hose I cut from a really crazy looking hose. Top is 90 hose to inline filler (Moroso) another 90 then straight hard pipe to straight hose.

The line are different sizes to and bottom. Make sure you have a bead rolled into or welded onto the hard pipe so the hose clamp has something to grip.

Also cut a piece of hose to put around the pipe that goes through the frame or buy the gromet from Unique.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 10th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Al I might have some pictures of what I did, 90 with hose out of the radiator to a hard pipe (muffler pipe) bent 90 which goes through the frame cross-member then a crazy multiple bend hose I cut from a really crazy looking hose. Top is 90 hose to inline filler (Moroso) another 90 then straight hard pipe to straight hose.

The line are different sizes to and bottom. Make sure you have a bead rolled into or welded onto the hard pipe so the hose clamp has something to grip.

Also cut a piece of hose to put around the pipe that goes through the frame or buy the gromet from Unique.
Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

casaleenie
November 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks Randy,,

That's the kind of information that I need.. Can't wait to tackle some of these changes or rather get it back to what it should be...

regards,
al

AL

casaleenie
November 10th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks Randy,,

That's the kind of information that I need.. Can't wait to tackle some of these changes or rather get it back to what it should be...

regards,
al

AL

dmiller
November 10th, 2003, 11:06 AM
i used the hose specified in the unique manual, then got two addition 90 degree hoses, and joined them with short exhaust spool pieces, i had a welder run a little bead around each end of the exhaust pieces so that the hose clamps had a chance to grip. another idea, would have been to put some small stainless steel rivets at each end of the exhaust pieces to hold the clamps. these ideas were not original, but found in the archives of this forum. the little green stuff you see on frount of the cross member is some plastic and rubber that i put to prevent the hose clamp from rubbing against the cross member. http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/dmiller/DSCN1757-email.jpg

dmiller
November 10th, 2003, 11:06 AM
i used the hose specified in the unique manual, then got two addition 90 degree hoses, and joined them with short exhaust spool pieces, i had a welder run a little bead around each end of the exhaust pieces so that the hose clamps had a chance to grip. another idea, would have been to put some small stainless steel rivets at each end of the exhaust pieces to hold the clamps. these ideas were not original, but found in the archives of this forum. the little green stuff you see on frount of the cross member is some plastic and rubber that i put to prevent the hose clamp from rubbing against the cross member. http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/dmiller/DSCN1757-email.jpg

casaleenie
November 10th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Dmiller,
Randy said in a posting that Unique sells a grommet to eliminate chafing on the hose through the frame???
Thanks, the picture is great....

al

AL

casaleenie
November 10th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Dmiller,
Randy said in a posting that Unique sells a grommet to eliminate chafing on the hose through the frame???
Thanks, the picture is great....

al

AL

JerryBP
November 11th, 2003, 12:10 AM
We are using a 3ft of stainless flex and a universal 90 from NAPA
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/jerrybp/lower hose.jpg

Work in Progress Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter

JerryBP
November 11th, 2003, 12:10 AM
We are using a 3ft of stainless flex and a universal 90 from NAPA
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/jerrybp/lower hose.jpg

COBRAGAR
November 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM
i used a hose from auto zone part # 1030 plus 90 degree pipe i had bent at a local shop and was able to get both piece i needed . the one into the pump inlet and small 90 to go into the radiator. hope this help

COBRAGAR
November 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM
i used a hose from auto zone part # 1030 plus 90 degree pipe i had bent at a local shop and was able to get both piece i needed . the one into the pump inlet and small 90 to go into the radiator. hope this help

Okiesnake
November 11th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I had a local muffler shop form 3/4" exhaust pipe to the shape I formed from a bent coat hanger. I then had it ceramic coated. I purchased the rubber groments for the hole in the frame from Unique which keeps it from rattling. I used 1 1/2" exhaust pipe to form the upper radiator pipe. It did take a visit through the local auto parts store's inventory of rubber radiator hoses to find the right shaped 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" hoses and the cut out pieces of the rubber hoses with best angled shapes. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/Wlowhose.jpg
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/lowrGrom.jpg
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/hoses2.jpg

Okiesnake
November 11th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I had a local muffler shop form 3/4" exhaust pipe to the shape I formed from a bent coat hanger. I then had it ceramic coated. I purchased the rubber groments for the hole in the frame from Unique which keeps it from rattling. I used 1 1/2" exhaust pipe to form the upper radiator pipe. It did take a visit through the local auto parts store's inventory of rubber radiator hoses to find the right shaped 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" hoses and the cut out pieces of the rubber hoses with best angled shapes. http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/Wlowhose.jpg
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/lowrGrom.jpg
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tdockstett/hoses2.jpg

casaleenie
November 11th, 2003, 09:28 PM
These pictures are great....

What is the life expectency of muffler pipe in this application?
Any downside to using the pipe instead of flexible hose?

AL

casaleenie
November 11th, 2003, 09:28 PM
These pictures are great....

What is the life expectency of muffler pipe in this application?
Any downside to using the pipe instead of flexible hose?

AL

souzape
November 12th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Regarding the use of muffler pipe for the cooling system....I would most strongly recommend using stainless steel in either .060/1.5 or 1.75 in. and save the hassle of corrosion problems down the road. You local muffler shop can bend and cut the SS for a small charge. Make templates for the correct shape out of clothes hangar wire. There are several sources on line that sell the SS by the foot at very reasonable cost. I think I bought mine from onlinemetals.com but I'll double check for you if you can't find a source. Another thought is using only distilled water + antifreeze in the cooling system. The water is very hard here in the desert where I live and with aluminum and iron/steel parts in the system you want to do everything possible to restrict/limit electro-galvanic corrosion. PHIL SOUZA

souzape
November 12th, 2003, 04:43 AM
Regarding the use of muffler pipe for the cooling system....I would most strongly recommend using stainless steel in either .060/1.5 or 1.75 in. and save the hassle of corrosion problems down the road. You local muffler shop can bend and cut the SS for a small charge. Make templates for the correct shape out of clothes hangar wire. There are several sources on line that sell the SS by the foot at very reasonable cost. I think I bought mine from onlinemetals.com but I'll double check for you if you can't find a source. Another thought is using only distilled water + antifreeze in the cooling system. The water is very hard here in the desert where I live and with aluminum and iron/steel parts in the system you want to do everything possible to restrict/limit electro-galvanic corrosion. PHIL SOUZA

Okiesnake
November 12th, 2003, 07:52 AM
As long as you have the pipe ceramic coated (inside & out) regular muffler pipe will last forever. As I recall, the place I had the side pipes & header ceramic coated charged me an additional $20 to ceramic coat both the upper & lower radiator pipes.

Okiesnake
November 12th, 2003, 07:52 AM
As long as you have the pipe ceramic coated (inside & out) regular muffler pipe will last forever. As I recall, the place I had the side pipes & header ceramic coated charged me an additional $20 to ceramic coat both the upper & lower radiator pipes.

Poorboy
November 12th, 2003, 07:53 AM
AL;
I believe the muffler tubing will last longer than the hoses. Most antifreezes have corrosion inhibiters in them.

Poorboy

Poorboy
November 12th, 2003, 07:53 AM
AL;
I believe the muffler tubing will last longer than the hoses. Most antifreezes have corrosion inhibiters in them.

Poorboy

casaleenie
November 12th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Any thoughts on JerryB's application of the stainless flex???
Looks like a possiblity... Wonder how easy it is to keep clean??
Jump in here Jerry.

AL

casaleenie
November 12th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Any thoughts on JerryB's application of the stainless flex???
Looks like a possiblity... Wonder how easy it is to keep clean??
Jump in here Jerry.

AL

JerryBP
November 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM
As for corrosion, I think Stainless will stand-up OK.
Cleanup is easy, just wipe with a cloth with some WD40 on it then wipe dry.
If you get a lot of road-crud you will need to use a stiff brush to get the crud out of the bottom of the groves

JerryBP
November 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM
As for corrosion, I think Stainless will stand-up OK.
Cleanup is easy, just wipe with a cloth with some WD40 on it then wipe dry.
If you get a lot of road-crud you will need to use a stiff brush to get the crud out of the bottom of the groves

JerryBP
November 12th, 2003, 11:04 PM
I should have said that there is about 20 ft of stainless tubing on my Pantera as the radiator is in the nose, it was installed in 1996 and still looks like new.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

JerryBP
November 12th, 2003, 11:04 PM
I should have said that there is about 20 ft of stainless tubing on my Pantera as the radiator is in the nose, it was installed in 1996 and still looks like new.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio