PDA

View Full Version : fuse box location

dmiller
November 11th, 2003, 12:53 AM
i thought i was thru wiring, then i started putting the dash in place and noticed how little room between back of instruments and fuse box. i doubt if i could access the box to remove/replace fuses. it would be really difficult to "see" well enough to reach in and remove the correct fuse, if even possible. to make it even more difficult there are a nest of wires obscuring the entire back side of the dash and firewall. i put the box about in the center of the cockpit firewall, behind the 5 small engine gages on the dash.

is there a better location?

appreciate your advise.

doug

Brent
November 11th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I don't know of a perfect location for that $@&% thing. I made a bracket and mounted mine over next to the wiper motor. Less wires there and nothing mounted to the dash in that area.

Brent

Brent
November 11th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I don't know of a perfect location for that $@&% thing. I made a bracket and mounted mine over next to the wiper motor. Less wires there and nothing mounted to the dash in that area.

Brent

GeorgiaSnake
November 11th, 2003, 09:23 AM
I put mine just to the left of the wiper motor and right above the cowl bar. I can access any of the fuses. The real clearance issue I had was the speedo cable (FIA on the right side of the dash) and the wiper motor.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 11th, 2003, 09:23 AM
I put mine just to the left of the wiper motor and right above the cowl bar. I can access any of the fuses. The real clearance issue I had was the speedo cable (FIA on the right side of the dash) and the wiper motor.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
November 11th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I just mounted mine and it works well on the driver side - easy access. I used 3 1/2" bolts with a 1" spacer and wing nuts for ease of removal, if necessary. Also, mounted the MSD box on the passenger side butted up against the wiper motor and mounted on the cowl brace(recommeded by Alan).

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/Fuse panel - MSD.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 11th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I just mounted mine and it works well on the driver side - easy access. I used 3 1/2" bolts with a 1" spacer and wing nuts for ease of removal, if necessary. Also, mounted the MSD box on the passenger side butted up against the wiper motor and mounted on the cowl brace(recommeded by Alan).

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/Fuse panel - MSD.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

weaver
November 11th, 2003, 11:14 AM
That Alan is one smart fellow.

weaver
November 11th, 2003, 11:14 AM
That Alan is one smart fellow.

pgermond
November 11th, 2003, 11:41 AM
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o doubt about! Seems to be a real decent feller too [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 11th, 2003, 11:41 AM
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o doubt about! Seems to be a real decent feller too [^]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

dmiller
November 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM
thanks for the ideas. i made a trail fit of dash today, and think that i'll move the fuse box to the passenger side, per Brent's suggestion. less stuff on that side, and i had forgotten all about the speedo cable, thanks for remembering ga snake.

im hope i live a long time, may use most of this life finishing this.

doug

dmiller
November 11th, 2003, 12:15 PM
thanks for the ideas. i made a trail fit of dash today, and think that i'll move the fuse box to the passenger side, per Brent's suggestion. less stuff on that side, and i had forgotten all about the speedo cable, thanks for remembering ga snake.

im hope i live a long time, may use most of this life finishing this.

doug

eliminator
November 16th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Mine is also done like Phil did his, I have a heater with the various duct work to deal with . My MSD box is also mountedt the same place. The fuse box is easy to get to, I have wing nuts on a mounting plate and can drop it if I need to.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 16th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Mine is also done like Phil did his, I have a heater with the various duct work to deal with . My MSD box is also mountedt the same place. The fuse box is easy to get to, I have wing nuts on a mounting plate and can drop it if I need to.

Eliminator

GEARIE
August 12th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I am just starting the wiring on my car. I removed the steering wheel column, dash, and I have laid the wiring harness over into the car. I have looked at several pictures and I am not sure what the fuse box is mounted to(?). Are the bolts from the fusebox suppose to mount thru the firewall and show in the engine compartment? I prefer for the bolts not to stick thru the firewall, what am I missing...... conufesd and havent even started

thanks
gearie jr.

Mike Geddes
August 12th, 2005, 06:31 AM
If I had to do that wiring job again, I would mount the fuse
box on the firewall INSIDE the engine compartment and fabricate
a nice weather proof cover for it.
I've seen a few ERA's with fuses ( glass cartridge type ) mounted on the
firewall without any form of cover.
Mike

Mike Geddes

eliminator
August 12th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Gearie,

You use the steel cowl brace to mount the fuse box. Look at Phil's picture, painted silver.

I will keep mine inside, dont like alot of garbage on the firewall. Don't care to look like the originals (what a mess) or ERA:(.

Rick

pgermond
August 12th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Actually, the 3 1/2" bolts go through the firewall from the outside with the spacers behind the fuse panel and then the wings nuts. Makes it real easy if you ever have to drop the fuse box panel for easy access. The MSD is mounted to the cowl brace.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

ralphscott
August 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Gearie, Mine is mounted on the top of cowl brace (I guess 1" X 2") passenger side easy to get to and out of the way of eveything

Ralph

clayfoushee
August 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Here's another shot of the fuse box location on my car where Alan (he built it), Elim, and Phil suggested.

You can see how much room there is to get to the fuses.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/clayfoushee/100_0196.jpg

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
August 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM
All,
Where does the ground for your wiring harness attach to? I'd like to run ours down to the base of the cowl brace, but there doesn't seem to be enough cable to get there...Before modifying anything I thought I'd see where everyone else grounds out the harness? Thoughts?

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

nolastyankee
August 22nd, 2005, 06:35 AM
All,
Where does the ground for your wiring harness attach to? I'd like to run ours down to the base of the cowl brace, but there doesn't seem to be enough cable to get there...Before modifying anything I thought I'd see where everyone else grounds out the harness? Thoughts?

Brian Carlson

eliminator
August 22nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Brian there is a welded in nut on the steel cowl brace in the area of the passengers left knee. Has a 5/16-18 bolt going into it. Use star washers on at least one or two of the bolts going from the cowl brace to the frame (star washers on top and bottom of the bolt). This will insure the cowl brace is grounded to the frame as the fiberglass is sandwiched between the cowl brace and the frame.

Rick

nolastyankee
August 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
Thanks Rick. Ours doesn't have that nut, but since we split the cowl brace and fabbed in a stainless plug, we have a really nice location to ground to with plenty of bolts on the brace in the center. I was wondering if folks were going all the way to the bolts at the base of the cowl brace, or if the brace itself was sufficient.

Brian Carlson