PDA

View Full Version : Brake light switch trouble

Tony Radford
November 11th, 2003, 06:40 PM
My brake lights have stopped working. I had this problem once before when the fluid level in the front brake reservoir was too low. Though I replaced the hydraulic switch, the problem didn't clear until I replentished the fluid. This was months ago and they've been working fine. I was told on the way home yesterday that they weren't working. The fluid level is fine. I pulled the switch and fluid flowed from the hole in the tee. When I apply pressure to the brakes, the switch doesn't actuate (using an Ohm meter). The brakes seem to work fine. There is virtually no play in the brake pedal movement (actuates at the top of the petal movement). Any ideas?

Tony Radford
November 11th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I tested the old switch I took off months ago by connecting an ohm meter to the posts and pushing a small screw driver up into the switch. I could feel the spring loaded mechanism moving internally, but I was never able to get continuity between the posts. I pulled the switch on the car and performed the same test and couldn't make that one work either. Anyone know if this is a valid test (I don't see how it couldn't be). They're cheap, so I guess I'll buy another one from NAPA today.

Tony Radford
November 11th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I tested the old switch I took off months ago by connecting an ohm meter to the posts and pushing a small screw driver up into the switch. I could feel the spring loaded mechanism moving internally, but I was never able to get continuity between the posts. I pulled the switch on the car and performed the same test and couldn't make that one work either. Anyone know if this is a valid test (I don't see how it couldn't be). They're cheap, so I guess I'll buy another one from NAPA today.

JerryBP
November 11th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I ran a Penzoil station in the 70's and repaced lots of those brake-light pressure switches.
I plan to mount a microswitch to be activated by the brake peddle in the footbox.

Work in Progress Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter

JerryBP
November 11th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I ran a Penzoil station in the 70's and repaced lots of those brake-light pressure switches.
I plan to mount a microswitch to be activated by the brake peddle in the footbox.

Work in Progress Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks Jerry. I received a response on the ClubCobra forum from someone who said the same thing. He included a spec sheet on a similar unit that is supposed to be much more reliable. I'm going to pick one up from NAPA at lunch.

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Thanks Jerry. I received a response on the ClubCobra forum from someone who said the same thing. He included a spec sheet on a similar unit that is supposed to be much more reliable. I'm going to pick one up from NAPA at lunch.

hound dog
November 12th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Yep, on my third one now and only 2600 miles on car. Next time I'll just get a microswitch and attach it in the foot well where it can operate off the pedal. In fact I'll probably do that this winter when I lengthen the pushrods on the master cylinders to get the brake pedal above the accelerator when fully depressed.
h dog

hound dog
November 12th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Yep, on my third one now and only 2600 miles on car. Next time I'll just get a microswitch and attach it in the foot well where it can operate off the pedal. In fact I'll probably do that this winter when I lengthen the pushrods on the master cylinders to get the brake pedal above the accelerator when fully depressed.
h dog

Joe LaFives
November 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Rear lights on mine are on the same circuit as the rear license plate light - check to see if it's connected properly.

Joe LaFives
November 12th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Rear lights on mine are on the same circuit as the rear license plate light - check to see if it's connected properly.

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 05:38 AM
HD, I picked up a new switch from NAPA today per the tech bulletin I got. It looks pretty much the same, but it cost 2X the price of the one specified by Unique. The bulletin originated at ERA I believe. I'll follow up on the progress (or lack of).

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 05:38 AM
HD, I picked up a new switch from NAPA today per the tech bulletin I got. It looks pretty much the same, but it cost 2X the price of the one specified by Unique. The bulletin originated at ERA I believe. I'll follow up on the progress (or lack of).

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 07:55 AM
New switch installed. Works great. How long? Who knows!

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 07:55 AM
New switch installed. Works great. How long? Who knows!

pgermond
November 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Tony - care to share the specs?

Thanks.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 12th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Tony - care to share the specs?

Thanks.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Phil, the reference numbers are as follows:
Cole Hersee switch No. 8626
Ford No. 100810B
GM No. 403936
Wagner No. FC5106
NAPA could only reference the Wagner number. The switch looks almost identical to the unit I purchased earlier per Alan's number (I can't find the receipt). I paid $6 for Alan's switch and $12 for the Wagner unit. The Wagner switch uses studs with screws and lugs as opposed to the switch Unique uses with push down studs. This is the switch ERA uses as a replacement for failed units.

Tony Radford
November 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Phil, the reference numbers are as follows:
Cole Hersee switch No. 8626
Ford No. 100810B
GM No. 403936
Wagner No. FC5106
NAPA could only reference the Wagner number. The switch looks almost identical to the unit I purchased earlier per Alan's number (I can't find the receipt). I paid $6 for Alan's switch and $12 for the Wagner unit. The Wagner switch uses studs with screws and lugs as opposed to the switch Unique uses with push down studs. This is the switch ERA uses as a replacement for failed units.

pgermond
November 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Tony :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

pgermond
November 12th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks, Tony :D

Phil