PDA

View Full Version : Battery location

Brent
November 13th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Is the "factory" location for the battery OK?

Have any of the long time owners seen any problems in this area?

I have an Optima red top and it is HEAVY[?] I wonder about the weight hanging in the quarter panel. There is no support under the body in this area. The fiberglass is thick ,however, when you sit the battery in place the whole quarter panel moves[:O]

If anyone has braced it underneath please post a pic.

Thanks
Brent

Oldtimer
November 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM
I had the same concerns, Alan W, said it would not cause any problems. I just bolted a tray as close to the wheel well and the frame as I could, seems to be alright.

Rich

Oldtimer
November 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM
I had the same concerns, Alan W, said it would not cause any problems. I just bolted a tray as close to the wheel well and the frame as I could, seems to be alright.

Rich

ericeckhoff
November 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I have same battery in same location since 1991 with no sign of any problems.
Eric

ericeckhoff
November 13th, 2003, 08:55 AM
I have same battery in same location since 1991 with no sign of any problems.
Eric

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
I made a battery hold dowm clamp out of aluminum bar stock with long threaded rods down through the body. I used an aluminum flat plate on the bottom to keep the bolts from pulling through.If I were doing it again I would put the battery on the other side for better weight distribution.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
I made a battery hold dowm clamp out of aluminum bar stock with long threaded rods down through the body. I used an aluminum flat plate on the bottom to keep the bolts from pulling through.If I were doing it again I would put the battery on the other side for better weight distribution.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Mike Geddes
November 14th, 2003, 01:09 AM
I also have had my battery in the driver side quarter panel since 1991, again ..no problem.
I used a battery box (marine supply) and glassed a clip to the inside of the Q.P so that the box strap goes thru it and hold the total packege in one location.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
November 14th, 2003, 01:09 AM
I also have had my battery in the driver side quarter panel since 1991, again ..no problem.
I used a battery box (marine supply) and glassed a clip to the inside of the Q.P so that the box strap goes thru it and hold the total packege in one location.
Mike

Mike Geddes

eliminator
November 16th, 2003, 10:14 PM
I have a Optima Red Top in the drivers side panel with a powdered coated steel battery box made for the Optima Batteries. I also have a 1/4" thick aluminum plate under the fiberglass. They are sandwiched together with 4 - 5/16" stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts. The aluminum plate under the bottom of the car helps transfer some of the battery weight to a bigger area.

Eliminator

eliminator
November 16th, 2003, 10:14 PM
I have a Optima Red Top in the drivers side panel with a powdered coated steel battery box made for the Optima Batteries. I also have a 1/4" thick aluminum plate under the fiberglass. They are sandwiched together with 4 - 5/16" stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts. The aluminum plate under the bottom of the car helps transfer some of the battery weight to a bigger area.

Eliminator

bluoval
November 17th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Hey guys, you need to check out this web page. It's about a new battery that we all should take a look at. It's called Dyna Batt. It is a dry cell that only weighs 13.5 lbs. go to www.performancedistributors.com

bluoval
November 17th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Hey guys, you need to check out this web page. It's about a new battery that we all should take a look at. It's called Dyna Batt. It is a dry cell that only weighs 13.5 lbs. go to www.performancedistributors.com