PDA

View Full Version : hood scoop

bluoval
November 13th, 2003, 12:15 PM
[?]I've seen pictures on this web site of unique cobras with what looks to be, bolt on or rivet on hood scoops. Our unique had the scoop made in the outer layer of the glass. We asked the Weavers if we could get one of the large scoops like they have on their personal cars, but they said that was only for cars that had special engines by Earnie Elliot. Has anyone modified their hoods by cutting out the unique scoop and adding a larger one. If so, could you post some pictures.[8)] We are runnig a 351C with a Pantera intake manifold called the Funnnel Web. It is high, much like a Nascar intake. We may need a little more room to use a decent sized air cleaner and carb insulator. When I say "we" I mean: Jerry, Bruce and myself (Greg). It's really a family project.

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:25 PM
One of the guys here in Atlanta used a T-Bird scoop on his Comtemporary. I'll ask him what year it is. He needed the clearance for his high rise BB.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 13th, 2003, 09:25 PM
One of the guys here in Atlanta used a T-Bird scoop on his Comtemporary. I'll ask him what year it is. He needed the clearance for his high rise BB.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Mike Geddes
November 14th, 2003, 01:24 AM
There's a mess of after-market hood scoops out there...check out the JC Whitney catalogue....all sizes...and some of the Hi-Rise ones can be cut to suit.
Next year ( when my 427 comes out of cold storage in April) I'm going to modify my scoop to look like an original riveted type.
All the originals had GF scoops riveted to the aluminum hood.
I'm just going to cut the existing one out and add GF to extend the lip out about an inch or so, then rivet the thing back on.I do not need any additional height.
You could try the same but give it some hieght at the same time.
I already have the 31 rivets around the leading edge of the hood, and my car is painted aluminum.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
November 14th, 2003, 01:24 AM
There's a mess of after-market hood scoops out there...check out the JC Whitney catalogue....all sizes...and some of the Hi-Rise ones can be cut to suit.
Next year ( when my 427 comes out of cold storage in April) I'm going to modify my scoop to look like an original riveted type.
All the originals had GF scoops riveted to the aluminum hood.
I'm just going to cut the existing one out and add GF to extend the lip out about an inch or so, then rivet the thing back on.I do not need any additional height.
You could try the same but give it some hieght at the same time.
I already have the 31 rivets around the leading edge of the hood, and my car is painted aluminum.
Mike

Mike Geddes