PDA

View Full Version : Unique hardtop

427sc
November 15th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Has anyone ever fitted a hardtop to their Unique? I've seen a photo of a fastback style top on a red Unique but I'm thinking more of a 'Dragonsnake' style hardtop with a large rear window similar to the current SPF top.

Poorboy
November 15th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Jerry Rowley(sp) from Foley, Alabama has the coupe top on his. The guy that bought my car says he has put one on it. He lives in Decatur, Alabama. There is another one in Chattanooga,Tennessee. They are a bitch to make fit!!!

Poorboy

They don't have a big back window.

Poorboy
November 15th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Jerry Rowley(sp) from Foley, Alabama has the coupe top on his. The guy that bought my car says he has put one on it. He lives in Decatur, Alabama. There is another one in Chattanooga,Tennessee. They are a bitch to make fit!!!

Poorboy

They don't have a big back window.

patrija
November 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM
I talked to Alan about this previously. As I remember it, general thought is that it's best to build the top with the car and it's near impossible to fit afterwards.

patrija
November 17th, 2003, 05:26 AM
I talked to Alan about this previously. As I remember it, general thought is that it's best to build the top with the car and it's near impossible to fit afterwards.

weaver
November 17th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Its kind a like remodeling a kitchen only worse, working around a car already built and painted ain't fun. I told Jerry Rowley if he told anyone I fitted his for him I would never talk to him again.

Alan

weaver
November 17th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Its kind a like remodeling a kitchen only worse, working around a car already built and painted ain't fun. I told Jerry Rowley if he told anyone I fitted his for him I would never talk to him again.

Alan

clayfoushee
November 19th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Awww...come on Alan, where's your sense of adventure;). I was hoping you'd offer to come and fit one for me. It's getting cold up here.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

clayfoushee
November 19th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Awww...come on Alan, where's your sense of adventure;). I was hoping you'd offer to come and fit one for me. It's getting cold up here.

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler

souzape
November 19th, 2003, 01:17 AM
How about a top and a retro-fit of an '03 Cobra cammer engine??

souzape
November 19th, 2003, 01:17 AM
How about a top and a retro-fit of an '03 Cobra cammer engine??

427sc
November 25th, 2003, 11:20 AM
For those who have tried this, it sounds like a big job. Maybe it was just some wishful thinking hoping there would be a hardtop that would just bolt-on to a Unique. Too bad, I'm just nuts about that hardtop look! Check this out -
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/427sc/MVC-005X.JPG

427sc
November 25th, 2003, 11:20 AM
For those who have tried this, it sounds like a big job. Maybe it was just some wishful thinking hoping there would be a hardtop that would just bolt-on to a Unique. Too bad, I'm just nuts about that hardtop look! Check this out -
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/427sc/MVC-005X.JPG

clayfoushee
November 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Wow....that's truly awesome. I'd part with serious money for that. Any other info on that particular installation....manufacturer, etc?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
November 25th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Wow....that's truly awesome. I'd part with serious money for that. Any other info on that particular installation....manufacturer, etc?

Clay

Unique 9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

casaleenie
November 26th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Looks great but I'll tell you right now I'd never be able to get in it with the hardtop on... I'd have to have it lowered over me while seated.
If I wasn't driving a 289 with the forward brace on the rollbar, I'd be in trouble also....

AL

casaleenie
November 26th, 2003, 12:13 AM
Looks great but I'll tell you right now I'd never be able to get in it with the hardtop on... I'd have to have it lowered over me while seated.
If I wasn't driving a 289 with the forward brace on the rollbar, I'd be in trouble also....

AL

WBofTN
November 26th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Yep - there is a guy here where i live who has a hard top on his spf.
Its fun to watch him get in. He sorta dives in head first, with his big
a$$ trailing behind. Once he is in, he does lots of spinning and
situating.
Its very entertaining.
The hard top guys also tell me the sound is deafining in side. Ear plug
are a must.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

WBofTN
November 26th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Yep - there is a guy here where i live who has a hard top on his spf.
Its fun to watch him get in. He sorta dives in head first, with his big
a$$ trailing behind. Once he is in, he does lots of spinning and
situating.
Its very entertaining.
The hard top guys also tell me the sound is deafining in side. Ear plug
are a must.
WB

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

427sc
November 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
No doubt a hardtop would certainly change the way some would enter and exit a Cobra. It would just be another thing about these special cars to get used to. I've driven and rode as a passenger in the car pictured above and I can tell you from first hand experience, overall noise level is significantly reduced with the hardtop on. You can hold a normal conversation with someone at highway speeds with the hard sidecurtains closed. The beauty of this is you have the option of an open roadster in nice weather, or the hardtop to extend your driving season when the temps drop or the weather gets a bit uncertain. This is probably a little more important to us guys in the colder areas of the country. Cheers - Len

427sc
November 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM
No doubt a hardtop would certainly change the way some would enter and exit a Cobra. It would just be another thing about these special cars to get used to. I've driven and rode as a passenger in the car pictured above and I can tell you from first hand experience, overall noise level is significantly reduced with the hardtop on. You can hold a normal conversation with someone at highway speeds with the hard sidecurtains closed. The beauty of this is you have the option of an open roadster in nice weather, or the hardtop to extend your driving season when the temps drop or the weather gets a bit uncertain. This is probably a little more important to us guys in the colder areas of the country. Cheers - Len

Mike Geddes
November 28th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Len..you are right about us in the cold area of the country, mines in storage already.....with one of those hard tops there's a possibility I might even be driving it today.( It has not snowed .YET.)
But getting in and out of a hardtop....what a chore.
I was at the Weavers 'CobraFest' a few years back and I tried to get in and out of that red one from Chattanoga....nice car..nice guy...but he was about 8 inches shorter than me...worked for him...I must have looked a bit like the guy described in the previous posting....I'm 6 foot 2+ and must have looked a bit like a pretzel trying to squeeze into that tiny opening.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Mike Geddes
November 28th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Len..you are right about us in the cold area of the country, mines in storage already.....with one of those hard tops there's a possibility I might even be driving it today.( It has not snowed .YET.)
But getting in and out of a hardtop....what a chore.
I was at the Weavers 'CobraFest' a few years back and I tried to get in and out of that red one from Chattanoga....nice car..nice guy...but he was about 8 inches shorter than me...worked for him...I must have looked a bit like the guy described in the previous posting....I'm 6 foot 2+ and must have looked a bit like a pretzel trying to squeeze into that tiny opening.
Mike

Mike Geddes

JerryBP
November 28th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Sounds just like a tall guy (over 6') trying to get in or out of my Pantera

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

JerryBP
November 28th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Sounds just like a tall guy (over 6') trying to get in or out of my Pantera

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

jhaynie
November 28th, 2003, 03:14 AM
My hardtop is great looking. I would love to use it more, but it is not waterproof at all. Rain, condensation, and washing the car get water all over the rear decklid. The rubber pad around the bottom of the top scuffs the paint also. Not something I'm too happy about.

I know why Alan said they've only made a few.

jhaynie
November 28th, 2003, 03:14 AM
My hardtop is great looking. I would love to use it more, but it is not waterproof at all. Rain, condensation, and washing the car get water all over the rear decklid. The rubber pad around the bottom of the top scuffs the paint also. Not something I'm too happy about.

I know why Alan said they've only made a few.

GeorgiaSnake
November 28th, 2003, 03:32 AM
You have the LeMans top don't you?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

GeorgiaSnake
November 28th, 2003, 03:32 AM
You have the LeMans top don't you?

Randy